Bye Bye Hard Gay. Hello Saber

From the latest update a few hours ago:

げき and せい mnemonics have been rewritten to use “Gecki the gecko” and “saber,” respectively.

https://community.wanikani.com/t/wanikani-weekly-updates/33117/19

Don’t think I have seen げき yet, though.

21 Likes

No one is immortal. Cold, hard truth.

23 Likes

Same, but then again, it’s extremely hard to offend me or make me legitimately mad. I kinda liked the Hard Gay mnemonics. Even if I didn’t understand them, they certainly stuck in my head!

22 Likes

I’m pretty sure nobody ever understood it, though :joy: It just worked

28 Likes

I never found it offensive as a gay person. I think getting rid of Hard Gay references is kind of jumping the gun in the name of political correctness. It was really useful for remembering せい kanji.

EDIT (over a year later, May 2020): My view on this has changed. To me now, stuff like Hard Gay pisses me off. Being gay isn’t a funny punchline and only reinforces society’s negative views on us (even if on a macro level it is tolerant). I think it was a useful mnemonic, but it’s better off gone.

26 Likes

I love geckos!

Saber is cool too

17 Likes

Rin is better. I’m totally biased

13 Likes

Oh hey, I just realized that your profile picture is Rin :laughing:

Is she better than geckos though?

13 Likes

Yea, it definitely did help you remember! Now we’re probably getting Star Wars references, none of which I will ever understand because I’ve never been interested in the franchise and I don’t even really know the basic information about it…

10 Likes

Hard to say :thinking: close match

2 Likes

I never found the せい mnemonics to be useful. Though that’s probably at least partially because there’s a lot of good phonetic components with the reading せい and often I didn’t need any mnemonic.

7 Likes

A saber doesn’t have to be a star wars reference. It can be just a regular old saber like this

17 Likes

Unless they specifically always talk about star wars in the mnemonics, yeah.

3 Likes

facepalm. I’m trying so hard not to laugh at myself for not realizing that… And I’m failing :rofl:

4 Likes

My problem with it is that Hard Gay really sticks out in my head cause its such a weird concept, but saber just falls flat for me.

EDIT from me in the far future: This also proved to be untrue and just me being upset, since the saber mnemonics actually stuck in my head fairly well.

7 Likes

I would have gone with saber tooth tiger.

8 Likes

Still a Star Wars reference

59 Likes

There was a really shitty platformer on N64 about a gecko called Gex: Enter the Gecko, and I still use it to remember 月光 because I have this 007-esque image of a gecko in a suit in front of the moonlight.

16 Likes

Before WK I had no idea who Hard Gay was.
To be honest I was a bit bothered not because of Hard Gay himself but because we all know that countries like japan see gay people as comedy.
And people promoting this kind of behaviour is a bit…

12 Likes

Not everyone of course but the media… I hope you get my point sigh

2 Likes