Burned Items?

Can someone explain what it means to burn items? I have just burned my first item but I am confused about it what it means.

Basically, you’ve gotten it correct enough times that the SRS considers it “learnt” - it’ll never come up in WaniKani again unless you resurrect it. If you’re concerned about it fading away in your memory, this is the time to start reading native material, and reinforcing your knowledge that way. Provided you’ve got some grammar under your belt. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Hey there!

Belthazar has pretty much said everything that needs to be said about this but here is a little bit more info if you are interested WaniKani’s SRS Stages | WaniKani Knowledge

Also, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at hello@wanikani.com if you have any issues or questions of any kind.

6 Likes

Thank you to you both!

1 Like

How did you get to burn items so fast? I’m almost at level 13 and haven’t burned one single item :sob:

It doesn’t have anything to do with your level. You could get your first burn at level 1. I think you can burn the first items after around 6 months?
You joined WK a bit later and OP only burned the first item a few days ago. You probably only need to wait a few days for your first burn to happen.

2 Likes

I didn’t even think about the fact that level doesn’t matter when burning items. I was always asking myself why people below my own level had already burned so many items, whereas I hadn’t burned a single one, already thought I was doing something wrong. Thank you so much for this, I certainly hope that I will be burning my first items very soon!

1 Like

Nope, you’re actually moving faster than those people.

1 Like

Never ever thought I could be so consistant with something.
Do you (or anyone who sees this question) happen to know how many level-ups per month is the average on WaniKani? Or at least the average for people who want to finish WaniKani within about 2 years?

9000 items, 9000/730 = 12.3

12 lessons a day roughly.

Sorry, edited my comment. I meant how many level-ups per month. Thanks for the reply anyway, very good to know as well!

60/24 = 2.5

2.5 levels a month

1 Like

If you look at the various celebratory level 60 posts, all of them posts statistics about how long it took them. So you can see how long it takes others. But as x90PT said, for people who finish in two years, they would have to average 2.5 levels a month.

Yeah, I love checking out level 60 posts, it’s really motivating. Thanks for the answer!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.