Bungou Stray Dogs - miscellaneous discussion

Yes, it was lovely seeing it animated. And it was nice to be able to turn off subtitles :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Actually there aren’t rushing it at all, they are going with book club’s pace of 3 chapters/week :grin: So there should be no risk of them catching up to us!

1 Like

I just watched Bungou Stray Dog Wan.

Seems like te order was changed. For the dog episode wasn’t Kyoka thats was feeding the dog not Atsuchi? I don’t know how I feel about Dazai’s voice. He always sound like an idiot. In the anime he did not always sounded like that. It kinda annoying. I don’t know if it’s just me. When it was over I look the time and was like. Hum… only 11 minutes.
It was nice episode.

2 Likes

In the main anime he did have two voices - one serious, and one for joking. Here, he’s joking 100% time, so he’s also using this joking voice 100% time… I also prefer his serious voice, but his joking voice isn’t bothering me as much. It’s unfortunate he is annoying you as he has a lot of screen-time. :pensive:

Yes, the order was changed. Tea was #4, lockers were #5 and dogs were #23 from the second volume. I think they assumed dogs make for a nice intro? :thinking:
And I checked and you’re right, it was Kyouka! You have good memory :smile:

2 Likes

I remember because she was not a dog. I also remember during the dog sketch Dazai was the one to laugh about atsuchi’s cat transformation not Akutagawa. I’m happy to have heard Akutagawa use やつがれ. I never notices during the anime.

I would be expecting the joking voice only during either the climax of the joke or if he says something stupid. Not during normal stuff.

2 Likes

I wanted to let you know that I just finished Chapter 2 of BEAST (66%) and I’m starting to get tired. So I’ll probably switch to something lighter for a while (aka はめふら 3) before continuing.
I’m so impatient to share my BEAST comments with you, though!

1 Like

O m a i 0-0
You’re a fast reader lmao. At this point I dunno what’s harder reading Japanese or making myself sit still for long enough (I’m easily distracted…)
Did you learn all the new words in the book? Or just the ones that are important? O: I usually learn all of them and I feel like maybe it’s overdoing it sometimes lmao but oh well.

Comment on chapter 65 Wan:

Summary

Box Dazai
Literally my new favourite thing lmao.
Worship him fools :gun:

And Chapter 68:

Summary

That poor boy Atsushi is so easily manipulated by Dazai :rofl: His little face when Dazai says he needs him tho.

I have a lot more to say but I’ll wait for the book club so I don’t just spill it all here, LMAO. Just had to get that out :no_mouth:

2 Likes

I… don’t actively study any, even the most important ones ^^"
Maybe I’ll start after I finish WK & Jalup (i+1 sentence SRS), but right I don’t want third SRS.
I tried doing decks from reading in the past, and I was miserable. :sweat_smile:

Right now it’s more about training my reading speed and stamina ^^"

But since you’re already 60, your situation is different, so. :blush:

1 Like

Oh I see! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :heart: I was just curious as to how others do it lol. Your reading is faster than mine so it’s obviously working… :sob:

I don’t think you understand just how much I love this show, Discourse :hocho:

Also also, I’m on the 5th book of Wan now :flushed: and I also ended up buying the remainder of the original manga in Japanese finally so got lots of reading material :kissing: :v:

3 Likes

Remember that I am also able to spend several hours/day reading! You’re probably still faster if we would only count raw pages/hour.

Seriously, I want an option to turn it off while making a thread. :sweat_smile: But at least you can feel dedicated. :grin:

:partying_face:
In case you didn’t know - newest chapters of Wan! are free for a limited time after release on the official website.
Only Wan!, main manga is still released traditionally in the paid magazine form :smiley:

1 Like

I need to share this… Storm Bringer got a release date. (2021年02月27日)
Now I suddenly feel like it’s too soon and I’m panicking. I really have high hopes about this and until know, I could fantasize about the plot, but soon it won’t be possible. Also it was… nice to wait for a new Chuuya book. When I finish it, there will be no more Chuuya-centered thing announced…
And I’m worried about all this little things I won’t understand perfectly and they will be bugging me more than usual, because I will be emotionally invested :sweat_smile:
Also ページ数:484

Whaaaaaat :exploding_head:
Fifteen was 196, Beast is 244, I think 200-300 is average for light novels in general WHAT HAS HAPPENED HERE.

I’m afraid. Even if waiting was nice, because it meant there was something pleasant to wait for, I want to get to know the plot quickly.
Both because of curiosity and because I don’t want to avoid BSD-related-Twitter-accounts for too long…

So it’s a mix of excitement and fear. But a lot of both.

I feel a little stupid being this excited, but but but life is more colorful this way

1 Like

Don’t feel stupid for being excited! I literally screamed when Wan anime came out…
Nothing wrong with being passionate!
Also omlll now I’m excited too AAAAAAAA

1 Like

Finished Beast!!! :confetti_ball:
And now I finally could read this, which you posted back in December :smiley:

I don’t think “main” Dazai will get the same ending, it’s AU for a reason. And his AU version had specific explanation for his suicide. (I do have some doubts about his explanation, though.)

Anyway, took me longer than I had planned (52 days instead of 2 weeks, heh).
It introduced some really interesting concepts and implications for the main plot with its multi-universe theory. I have a wish for this little AU to matter in the manga somehow in the future.

From あとがき - I knew that both Beast and Fifteen were written as a bonus intended for people who visited cinema to watch Dead Apple during the first 2 weeks. What I didn’t know is that they were supposed to be just a small pieces, 50 pages/each, and that they weren’t planned as a whole novels.
I thought that “raw draft as a bonus to the tickets, full novel later” was a plan from the beginning :smiley:

Thanks for encouraging me :blush:
I know you screamed buuut when I’m excited I get wordy and I’m somehow afraid that being wordy is worse than a short scream… :sweat_smile:

I love the
「お前の心に関わる人間を、全員暗殺する」
part from the Storm Bringer description.
Now I want some warm scenes about Chuuya having to actually decide who is his 心に関わる人 :heart: :black_heart::heart:
(And obviously not killing them in the end)

1 Like

He better not or Kafka got some splaining to do :anger:

Honestly I love reading wordy stuff when people are passionate about the subject…if that makes sense.
I think it makes sense.
Words are hard :sob:
So yeah feel free to talk all you want to me as I am also passionate and could talk all day about this kind of stuff…

Same but the fangirl side of me also wants Dazai and Chuuya to fall in love I’m sorry it’s not my fault ok. :triumph:

Also.
I haven’t really been reading a lot lately because I’ve been busy :frowning_face: I only get one day off a week and that plus a lack o motivation has made me read basically nothing :sob:
However, you finishing Beast has kind of motivated me a little bit. So when I get home tonight I’m gonna stay up and binge read Beast, I’ll try to at least get to the halfway point, I’ll report back in 24 hours LOL.

Since it’s a prequel, there is a limit to what actually can happen :sob:
Dazai is my main candidate for these heart-warming scenes, of course, but unfortunately, we know already they can’t get all cuddly-cuddly.
But there has to be someone else, because there is 員 in the quote. So it cannot be only about Dazai! …I think.

I wonder how the relationship between Rimbaud and Verlaine will be described, though, because they actually were lovers in the real world.

Ehhh, Verlaine. He was so pompous in the previous novel, I hope he won’t have too many lines in this one, because understanding him is a chore. For all I care, he can just stare possessively at Chuuya :stuck_out_tongue:
(His appearance was cut out of the anime. In anime, Ango does a vague sequel hook, but in the novel, there is a big proper scene with Verlaine, practically working as a opening for the next story.)

Awww, I feel bad for you :cold_sweat: I want to gift you some extra free hours, packed in a box with a ribbon and all :gift:

And I’m honored to serve as a motivator…
I’m hoping you’ll manage to do this :muscle: Looking forward to hearing about the results!

Awwwwwww *melts from emotions*
Just tell me if I stop to make sense, because, like you said, words are hard, and I want to know :blush: if I know I can at least try to rephrase myself!
…And I still feel very wobbly about writing in English, because I never really learned expressing myself in English actively. I consumed a lot of media, and then sort of… moved onto actively using language without any practice with a tutor or somebody…? :confounded: So I’m always afraid I’m unaware I’m continuously making some mistakes, because nobody ever told me about them :laughing:
And since you’re a certificated English teacher with a diploma and all… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Jokes aside, I don’t expect you to correct me on every minute detail, but if I’m ever not comprehensible, pleeeease let me know. :pleading_face:

Anyway, I want to let you know that you can also talk all you want to me about anything ^^ I like listening to you, you always sound so warm ^^

1 Like

Honestly I assumed you were a native English speaker because of how good your English is…so don’t worry about it too much! :grin:

I love talking with you too :pleading_face: :heart:
BSD really out here making me internet friends :sob:

Update on the book: I got a migraine so I read nothing. LMAO. But just to update I’m on page 50 right now. I will probably just try to binge read on my next day off…Wednesday :thinking: I’m terrible at keeping to plans lmao.

1 Like

:joy::rofl::upside_down_face::sweat_smile:

Lol, no. I think I mentioned before I’m from Poland and my English learning history is like building a makeshift hut with sticks and leaves :joy:

oh no :face_with_head_bandage:
do you get migraines often? :frowning:

Sooo… it’s around the bar scene with Tanizaki/Kunikida/Akutagawa and maybe also the Atsushi introduction/fighting scene, is that right?

1 Like

I’m sorry I replied so late…
I kinda took a break from the internet/everything for a bit so I could sort some stuff out ehe.

Sorry, I’m very bad with remembering these kinds of things! :sob:

Luckily not! \o/ Just every now and then.

Yeah that’s where I’m at right now (Although I’m reading the manga rn for it as well and in the manga I’m at the point where Atsushi has flashbacks then is told his next target is the ADA.)

1 Like

Oh, it seems we got a spam ad here. I wonder why our little slow topic was targeted and not the other ones ^^"
And what it is a spam for, anyway? Drugs? :sweat_smile:
But I feel a stupid satisfaction that we’re getting spam in Japanese.
(Yes, I flagged it already.)

It’s okay! I was worried a little, but it’s not like you have any obligations to me or anything. :blush:
Good to have you back! I hope sorting things out went fine.

spoiler comments for that part

So the main thing I want to say is that in my opinion Akutagawa joining ADA and not having any Mafia experience didn’t solve all his problems with attitude after all. I mean, in the first place, he wasn’t even able to pass the entrance exam.
Atsushi (in ADA) was managing better, even at the start, while with Akutagawa, the atmosphere seems… tense :sweat_smile:
So I think this books is sorta proving my point that their situation is not so simple that just a reversal would totally reverse everything. Their characters also matter a lot.
Atsushi is ofc more ruthless here, but due to his character, he is also more obedient and calm, and um… polite. :stuck_out_tongue:
Oh, and I loved how Kunikida and Tanizaki were “talking” with just glances. It was so surreal. They have a good understanding between each other in this universe :grin:

1 Like

That’s so weird lmao, here of all places :laughing:

Response for my boy Ryuunosuke

Oh yeah he definitly didn’t change much addittude-wise…that boy grew up in the streets in both versions so he’s got quite the tongue on him :laughing:
I think my main point was that they could both be led to the right paths (Mainly by Dazai.) :thinking: Akutagawa is bad in the main series (And not exactly good in Beast LOL) but with the right help can be led down the right path, while Atsushi can also go either way.

But yeah, personality wise they’re p different. They both are very protective of their loved ones but Akutagawa is much much more vulgar. I don’t know why but he’s still baby to me :pleading_face: :point_right: :point_left: Like I wish to take him and give him a blanket and a nice snack and treat him like my child.
I would say some more stuff about Akutagawa being good/bad and similar to Atsushi, but it would be spoilesr for the recent manga and I dunno if you’re caught up so just in case I won’t!

I like this too…although I love anything with Kunikida in it :zipper_mouth_face: I love Tanizaki too…I love them all someone help me this is a problem.

On Most Recent BSD Manga

IF THEY
DON’T
BRING HIM
AND ALL OF THEM
bACK TO LIFE
I AM DONE LMAOOO
DO NOT MURDER MY BOY PLS YOU CAn’T JUST MAKE HIM BE AMAZING AND SWEET AND THEN DO THIS KAFKA ARE U TYING TO KILL MEA TA"NINPTQNETN"PI
Ok I’m good now

Sorry for the late reply again :rofl:

1 Like

this sounds like some kind of Lovecraft monster :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve read manga up to 20 volume, so I’m good, unless you’re reading along with the magazine version :smiley:

Manga spoilers

I think they will resurrect them, it’s hard for me to believe that all this massacre will be left this way.
People don’t really die in BSD, maybe in prequels (Oda, Rimbaud) but not in the main timeline.
Btw, Storm Bringer just introduced a lot of new characters. And this is a prequel. And they aren’t around now. So now I’m expecting a slaughter… All these descriptions and I’m just “mm, nice knowing you”. Not really a spoiler, since it’s just my prediction, not a confirmed fact.
Anyway, back to manga, even Akutagawa death seemed suspicious, because all this set-up about New Soukoku just for it suddenly ending? Especially since this duo was picked by Dazai, who always gets what he’s planned? I don’t think this failed fight was supposed to be the peak of New Soukoku capabilities.
And then, all these other victims? Too much. I can see it in The Walking Dead, but not here.
So yes, I’m expecting there will be some kind of miracle solution.

And I admit that this fight on the ship was quite cute. I mostly loved the planning part, when they actually were trying to imitate original Soukoku <3 So Akutagawa knows they supposed to be the 2nd generation!
Unfortunately, while original Soukoku was brain/fighting power, now it’s only pure fight power :smiley:

But I was surprised about vampires, even if Bram Stoker fits, of course. It was especially fun when just before the vampires appeared, they introduced some vampire merch. But people were “well, yeah, well, merch always has some kind of theme and there is a Halloween coming anyway”.
…And then the massacre happened.

1 Like