BishBashBosh: Cram Apprentice 1 items and recent failures

This tool is awesome and thank you.

3 Likes

Something odd is happening this morning; my ‘Recently failed’ category is impossibly high (I don’t think I’ve done that many reviews in the past week), and the few items being shown in the queue are actually burned items, even after each of 2 refreshes of the page.

I thought it might be a problem with the BBB+ extension, so I toggled it off and then uninstalled it, and the problem is still there.

With BBB+ extension on:

With BBB+ extension uninstalled:

I also had this happen, but don’t know if that is an issue with the extension or not:

The answer should be ‘blanket’

Anyone else having these problems?

Update: Every time I click on either ‘Apprentice 1’ (currently empty) or ‘10 oldest apprentices’ and then click back on ‘Recently failed’ the queue gets longer by a few items, so I’m now over 600 items, all actually burnt items as far as I can tell.

and a few moments later…

That seems like a problem with the extension (since it’s kinda hacked together). Try uninstalling it then force reloading the website via Ctrl+F5. The website is very cache-friendly.

1 Like

Thanks for the response.

The forced reload has me down to just under 250 items for the recently-failed-but-actually-burned items, but they still are not what they actually should be.

Doing forced refreshes every 5 minutes or so now has me down to under 100 items…

The whole cache has been cleared :grin:

1 day later:

…Aaannnnd I’m back to having massive ‘recently failed’ queues. Is anyone else experiencing this? @Radish8, @_Marcus?

2 Likes

Oh yes, I always have trouble with BBB. It never keeps me logged in, so pretty much every day I have to find my magic number and re-enter it, it always gives me a “something’s gone wrong” notice, and when I choose ‘recently failed’ it gives me hundreds of items! So now I always go for 10 oldest apprentice. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn’t.

But, despite all that, when it does work, BBB is great and I’m sticking with it!

2 Likes

Yes, sorry, I meant to post here about it actually. It’s not a problem with the userscript, because I’ve never installed that.

I emailed @timh about it but haven’t heard anything back yet. It seems unlikely they’ve changed anything about the website given that they’re not really active anymore, so perhaps something changed on WK’s end? Although if you were able to sort the problem initially by clearing the cache…

@_Marcus - gosh, I’ve never had that! It’s always worked fine for me up until yesterday (or the day before, was it?). The only bug I’ve ever encountered was it failing to move onto the reading after answering the first item’s meaning, but that was very infrequent and one refresh would always do the trick.

2 Likes

I am also getting the massive “recent fails” bug.

1 Like

It suddenly seems to be fixed??

1 Like

Not for me, sadly. Clearing the cache took over an hour the other day, slowly whittling it down by a dozen or so items each attempt, so not something I want to have to do thrice daily. I had noticed that the creator has not been active here in months - hope they’re okay.

Good to hear from you that there is absolutely no way that this has anything to do with the extension, though.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s gone topsy turvy for me again this morning. I really hope it can be fixed, as using this has been kind of transformative for my WK learning :cry:

2 Likes

Can you list the steps that happen to cause it to fail (probably starting from API key entry)? I will try to find a solution, but mine appears to be working (userscript off) flawlessly.

1 Like

Er… I enter my API key, click the “recently failed” tab, it takes ages to load, and then there are hundreds of items in the queue? I think it’s only the “recently” failed setting which is broken.

Probably entirely unrelated, but the WK Open Framework has been taking forever to load up my data the last few days as well, so I’m wondering if something has changed on the WK end?

1 Like

This is the same for me, both BBB and WK Open Framework take ages to load.

1 Like

Remarkably, since sticking to “10 oldest apprentices” the site is working better for me; I’m not getting constantly locked out. If BBB ends up being just that, it’s still a magnificent tool!

I reckon it’s somehow related to the updated SRS information:

I think it’s suddenly picking up on a load of old items that you got wrong way in the past.

3 Likes

That makes sense, but

1. how will the issue in BBB be resolved? Will the script need rewriting/fixing, like Kumirei did for the Heatmap?

2. why does the item count for ‘recently failed’ shift about so much?

EDIT: I just realised it might (I hope will) be self-resolving as it is recent failures, so whatever is happening within the algorithm should eventually just time-out.

1 Like

You know, I had some theories, but looking at the thread about these changes it seems only items done before 1 May 2017 should have been affected, and I hadn’t even heard of WaniKani at that point :sweat_smile:

Mind you, my number has been steadily declining all day (nearly at just 400, woo!), so I’m hoping they just gradually get flushed out of the system as they drop out of the “recently failed” timeframe… maybe… probably not…

1 Like

Ditto, but fingers crossed it will resolve shortly.

1 Like