Beyond Sleepy’s (pillow fort?) study log

That is not simple a ように that is a whole grammar point ようにする conjugated to している and shortend to してる. Basically meaning you make sure/put effort that “verb” before the construct. (put effort into not using 使わない)

4 Likes

I read one page today. That was quite enough :sweat_smile:

よつばと!vol1, cha3, pp104 🍀

——— 104 ———

だからできるだけクーラーは使わないようにしてるの、でもすっごく暑い日はつけちゃうの

That’s why if at all possible I make an effort not to use the air conditioner, but, as for very hot days, I switch it on

クーラーはわるいか⁉︎ちきゅうのてきか⁉︎

Air conditioners are bad!? They’re the enemies of earth!?

うーん…そんなには…

Yeah… (but) that much… (I’m thinking Ena is expressing that Yotsuba is taking it a little far :p)

あれ?よつばちゃんちはクーラーないの?

Huh? Doesn’t your house have (an) air conditioner(s)?

な、ないよ⁉︎

N- no!?

だってとーちゃんはいいものなんだ‼︎クーラーなんかないよ!

Because dad is a good person!! We don’t have anything like an air conditioner!

(なんだ=のだ? explanatory の?)

ふーん、そっかー

Huh, is that so

…ないとおもう…

…I don’t think (we have)…

(I don’t understand what と is doing here and my Google-fu is failing me. Maybe I should buy All About Particles? Or is there a better book, as it uses romaji and that’s kind of bleh…?)

あれ⁉︎よつばちゃん⁉︎

What!? Yotsuba!?

——— end ———

4 Likes

The good news is this one is extremely straightforward and simple! と is used after thoughts or speech to mark them, that’s all. You’ll see と思う (とおもう) especially so often it’ll feel like a set phrase before long, I promise. Though often when you venture into books they like to drop the verbs for “thought” or “said” or other repetitive stuff and let と handle it on its own.

Yep, I believe so.

4 Likes

Whoo~ five pages today … at 1AM… hmm, better get to bed now after updating on the read every day thread…

よつばと!vol1, cha3, pp105-109 🍀

——— 105 ———

とーちゃん‼︎

Dad!!

なんだ?

What is it?

とーちゃん‼︎このいえクーラーあるか⁉︎

Dad!! Is there an air conditioner in this house!?

お、クーラーか!

Oh, it’s about air conditioners!

ばーちゃんはなかったもんな、じーちゃんがクーラー嫌いなんだよ

Grandma’s house didn’t have anything like that, grandpa hated air conditioners

——— 106 ———

でもこの家にはあるぞー‼︎じゃーん‼︎

But this house does have one!! Ta-da!!

——— 107 ———

寝室にもあるぞ、二階にもあるぞ

There’s also one in the bedroom, there’s also one on the second floor

とーちゃんみそこなった‼︎

Dad I’ve misjudged you/I’m disappointed in you!!

ええ⁉︎

Eh!?

——— 108 ———

な、なんで、みそこなうんだ⁉︎え⁉︎

Wh- why are you disappointed!? Eh!?

ちきゅうおんだんかだ‼︎

(Because of) global warming!!

なにぃ⁉︎

Whaaat!?

お、おまえそれ知ってんのか…:interrobang:

Y- you know about that…!?

あっ、あさぎもだ

Ah, Asagi

——— 109 ———

あさぎー‼︎クーラーとめろー‼︎

Asagi-!! Turn off the air conditioner!!

わっ、よつばちゃん

Wah- Yotsuba

あっ、えな

Ah- Ena

う…

Uu…

ど、とうしたの?

Wh- what’s wrong?

うちにクーラーがあった…とーちゃん…ちきゅうのてきだった…

In our house, there were air conditioners… dad… (turned out to be) an enemy of earth…

ええっ⁉︎いや…あの…

Eeh-!? No… um…

——— end ———

8 Likes

Such a great chapter :smiley:

2 Likes

Hehe I’m developing a habit of reading よつばと! after midnight…? That’s not good… I could only read one page tonight because I have a seminar at 8AM.

よつばと!vol1, cha3, pp110 🍀

——— 110 ———

え…えっと…ク…クーラーはすずしくってとってもいいなぁ

Uh… um… air… air conditioners also (make it) become nice and cool

最近のは省電力で地球にやさしいし、マイナスイオンが…

Lately conservation of electricity (have made us) more gentle towards the earth, negative ions…

なにしてんの?

What’s up?

あさぎはちきゅうのてきだ‼︎ちきゅうおんかんばー‼︎

You’re an enemy of earth!! Global wramling!!

——— end ———

7 Likes

:rofl:

Also today I learned there is a minimum character limit on this site and I can’t respond with an emote only.

5 Likes

Woo~ finished the chapter… at 00:50… I solemnly swear I’ll break this pattern tomorrow, no Japanese after 23:30 :triumph:

よつばと!vol1, cha3, pp111-114 🍀

——— 111 ———

ちきゅうがあつくなるぞ‼︎

The earth is becoming hot!!

恵那か…

Ena…

だからー、クーラーで地球を冷やしてるのよ

That’s why we cool the earth with air conditioners

あれ?

What?

——— 112 ———

ね?この部屋とってもすずしいでしょう?あつくないでしょう?

See? This room is really cool, right? It’s not hot, right?

すずしいー

Cool

ね?

Right?

じゃあクーラーはわるくないか?

Then, air conditioners aren’t bad?

クーラーはとってもいいものよ、悪くありません

Air conditioners are really good things, they aren’t bad

——— 113 ———

よつばちょっとまちがえた‼︎

I made a little mistake!!

このうっかりさん

You absentminded person (ish)

あ、じゃあやっぱりとーちゃんわるくなかった‼︎

Ah, then dad wasn’t bad after all!!

いそがしい子ねぇー

What a hectic child

——— 114 ———

とーちゃん‼︎

Dad!!

このへやあっちーなークーラーつけよー

This room is hot, turn on the air conditioner

ええっ⁉︎

Ehh-!?

クーラーはいいな!とーちゃんみなおした

Air conditioners are good! I have a better opinion of you

——— end ———

8 Likes

… or the “today” I live in is your “yesterday” already? :upside_down_face: :blush: Glad you had that awesome looking cake. What is the cream made of? (in case you don’t mind me asking…)

… and you have really charming study log, I think. Like it you being consistent. Cheering for you and your studies :four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes

Egg yolks, cream, sugar, and butter (the cake is called “suksessterte”).

Thank you :blush:

2 Likes

The key to remember here is that 「いいものなんだ」 is いいものだ+のだ. The sentence originally ends in だ, but this changes to な when adding の (or in this case, ん).

In other words, when you see なのだ or なんだ in this usage, the な would be a だ marking the end of a “noun is a noun” sentence (if it didn’t have のだ on it).

Unless you know the secret method           to get around that.

4 Likes

:eyes:

3 Likes

The panels directly discussing the letter and what to do with are giving me trouble, so I’ve just guessed since I’m already past my 23:30 deadline:/

Between Wanikani, Anki, Bunpro, and よつば Japanese is taking more time than I can afford… I’m going to attempt to set aside two 1,5 hour blocks of time per day and see if I can fit everything in to those, if not then something has to go… Or I’ll have to slow the SRSs down further but I’m not going particularly fast to begin with.

よつばと!vol1, cha4, pp118-120 🍀

——— 118 ———

風香ー

Fuuka-

なに?

What is it?

大塚さんにこういうのもらったんだけど…なんだっけ、これ?

We’ve received something like this from Ootsuka, just what is it, this?

町内会?

Neighborhood association?

——— 119 ———

ああ、よつばちゃんちか、これお隣に渡して書いてもらえばいいのよ

Ah, what about Yotsuba’s house, if we have them fill this out that would be good

…じゃあ、やっといて

Well then, (the cheat sheet indicates that this is a form of やる but I couldn’t find any conjugation that included っと so I’m unsure what to do with this…)

うんいいよ、もっていってくる

Okay good, then I’m off

あー、お母さん風香産んで正解だったわー

Giving birth to you was the correct decision

大げさな

You’re exaggerating

でも、あさぎは失敗

However, Asagi was a mistake

——— 120 ———

あの子きのう私のアイス食べたのよ、許せないわ

Yesterday that child ate my ice cream, I won’t forgive her (I’d translate this as “unforgivable” meant hyperbolically to match the slightly dramatic tone of the panel, but 許すまじ is unforgivable so I won’t)

とーちゃん、なにしてるー?またあそびかー?

Dad, what are you doing? (Will you) play (with me) again?

なんだよまたって…

What? “Again” you say…

——— end ———

I think I get it, sorta, maybe, I at least get what’s happening with だ and な :thinking: but would the meaning change if we wrote いいものんだ instead for example?

My head’s a little fried right now tbh, I can’t even tell if my question makes sense🙃

3 Likes

Oh this! So, what you’re looking at is ておく. Honestly I still find this sometimes odd to wrap my head around, in terms of when it’s considered most appropriate or not to use it. I would be extremely bad at output! But the general meaning is that something is being done/prepared in advance for the future. I always find Imabi a bit dense for my brain, but here’s the page on it.

Usage aside, to help with how you get there: やる conjugates to て form やって, adding on おく would leave us with やっておく. But in casual conversation it is very regularly contracted down to とく. やっとく. Then the auxiliary verb itself is conjugated to て form from there, so you get やっといて.

Oh yeah, good luck figuring that out. I assume you’re not taking the pace too crazy, but I could always tell I couldn’t do more than 2 SRS at a time, personally. Bunpro looks good but I skipped it for that reason.

4 Likes

The やっといて was already covered by Daisoujou so I’m taking this one. (Btw I’m having the same problems on usage of oku as you @Daisoujou)
許せない is potential form. Therefore the literal translation would be more “I can’t forgive her”. Yours would have been 許さない which is equally as common.

I read it as “Are you playing again?”

You can’t もの is a noun and attaching のだ to a noun requires な Explanatory のだ (んだ)
Nouns + Na adjectves = なのだ
I adjectives + verbs = のだ

4 Likes

「とーちゃんはいいものだ」
“As for Dad, he is a good one.”

This is a basic noun is noun sentence. The subject is unstated, but based on the context we can infer that the subject is Yotsuba’s father. A noun is noun sentence is essentially saying that the subject noun can be categorized as the noun with だ attached. Yotsuba’s father can be categorized as いいもの, a one good one. Yotsuba’s father is a good one.

In English, this is like saying “A kitten is a cat.” The subject, “kitten”, is in the category of “cat”. The “kitten” is a “cat”.

Now, what happens if we take this sentence, “A kitten is a cat”, and make it the second noun of a “noun is noun” sentence?

We would get:

“It is (a kitten is a cat).”

That’s not really proper grammar for English, so let’s add a word:

“It is that (a kitten is a cat).”

This may sound like an explanation.

“Why are you giving a fresh fish to your pet kitten?” “It is that a kitten is a cat. (And cats like fish, so my kitten will surely like fish as well.)”

Note that in this “noun is (sentence as a noun)” sentence, the first noun (“it”) refers to the situation being asked about.

Going back to the sentence from Yotsuba:

「とーちゃんはいいものなんだ」
“As for Dad, it is that he is a good one.”

Again, this may sound like an explanation. What is this “it”? It’s the question of whether Yotsuba has an air conditioner at her house.

“Do you not have an air conditioner?” “No, because it is that Dad is a good one.”

It takes a little time to get used to it. (And I might not be the best at explaining it.)

2 Likes

@Daisoujou @downtimes @ChristopherFritz Thank you all for your help, it’s super valuable :heart:

My time management experiment seems like it might work out. I managed to fit all three SRSs into 97 minutes just now, and I actually had higher accuracy than usual, probably since I did them first thing in the morning. This leaves me 90 minutes to read よつば and the resources you’ve linked this evening :slightly_smiling_face: Now it’s on to my uni studies :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Read three pages today, it was a pretty good day in terms of the balance between Japanese, university, and free time as well :slightly_smiling_face: I think I’m on to something if I can keep this up.

よつばと!vol1, cha4, pp121-123 🍀

——— 121 ———

先っちょを持ってじっとしてろ

Hold the end still

なんだこれー?あそびか?

What’s this? A game?

これでここにつけるカーテンの幅を計るんだ

This is (we’re doing this) to measure the width of curtains (we’ll need) here.

いいか?はなすなよ

Are you good? Don’t let go

うん!

Sure!

はなすなよ、はなすなよ

Don’t let go, don’t let go

うん!

Sure!

——— 122 ———

おー‼︎しゅるるるっていった‼︎

Oh-!! It went Shuururururu!!

だから、はなすなって‼︎怖いんだから‼︎

That’s why I said don’t let go!! Because it’s scary!!

これが鳴ると人が来た合図だ

This is the sound signal for when people come

たぶんジャンボだ、今日来るって言ってたから

It’s probably Jumbo, because he said he’d come today

ジャンボ!

Jumbo!

——— 123 ———

?ジャンボー

Jumbo~

ちがうー

Wrong

え?ちがう?

Eh-? Wong?

おじゃましまーす

Excuse my intrusion/I’m coming in

こんにちは

Good day

ふーかだった‼︎

It was Fuuka!!

あれ?違った?

Huh? I was wrong?

——— end ———

6 Likes

Two pages today, I could do more but I feel the need to reserve an evening for just relaxing with some silly YouTube videos once in a while. I haven’t done that in a week and a bit so it’s time :upside_down_face:

よつばと!vol1,cha4,pp124-125 🍀

——— 124 ———

俺は服着た方が良いですね?

I should have put on some clothes, shouldn’t I?

そ、そうですね

Yes, you should have

とーちゃんはいっつもパンツまるだしだ‼︎

Dad always has his underwear fully exposed!!

まるだしか

Fully exposed, huh

——— 125 ———

回覧板が回ってきたりとか

This circulating notice is passed around and such (???)

ふーん

Hmm

じゃあ、ここに名前書けばいいの?

Alright, is it good if I write my name here? (Is this where I’m supposed to write my name)

はいそうこに

Yes that’s the right place

ふーか、これもて

Fuuka, hold this

そこに名前と住所と

Write your name and address and… (there)

——— end ———

5 Likes

So honestly I’m only throwing out my uncertain thoughts, but I think this is just a bit of Japanese indirectness. Kinda trailing off a “This notice is passed around and stuff like that…”. Like, when I played Ace Attorney, every time you show evidence to someone during the investigations Phoenix would pretty much be like “So… I have this thing, but…” and then wait for the other person to respond. I mean with たり it’s just trailing off the other things they do (have people sign it etc) but either way you’re kinda left with the same vague empty space at the end I guess. I feel like I’ve rarely ever seen たり and とか used together though, which makes me lean towards there being a reason for it being… double vague, haha. But I’m stepping into nuance well beyond my level.

If that kind of makes sense? I guess all I’m trying to say is that you’ve got the point of what is being said and the rest of it is, at least to my inexperienced perception, sentence dressing that makes it more natural and probably “softer” but that you can’t think TOO literally about.

5 Likes