Beyond Sleepy’s (pillow fort?) study log

The simple “also”. Because she drew a picture before yotsuba fell asleep which yotsuba loudly declared bad if you remember :smiley: .

2 Likes

Ah, I thought they were the same picture:p That makes sense :sweat_smile::+1:

I read three pages today:)

よつばと!vol1, cha3, pp95-97 🍀

——— 95 ———

なーんだ、よつばちゃんじゃない

What, if it isn’t Yotsuba

あ!きれーなほうのねーちゃんだ!

Ah! The beautiful one!

あさぎよ、あさぎ

It’s Asagi, Asagi

あさげ

Asage

あさぎ

Asagi

今日はなに?なんか用事?

What’s up today? What kind of errand/business (brings you here)?

ふーかにふとこと言っておくことがある!

There is an urgent matter I need to speak to Fuuka about! (I read that Xっておくmeans to do something in advance, but I’m not sure how to make sense of that)

へーそりゃまた面白そうねー

Hee~ you said something interesting-sounding again (I feel it’s a little vague what そりゃ is referring to here, but I tried my best)

でも風香今出かけてていないわよ

But Fuuka has left the premises at the moment

——— 96 ———

あれぇ?…じゃあ、どーする?

Huh?… so, what do I do?

おもしろいなこの子供…

This child is amusing…

じゃあとりあえず中入る?ここ暑いから

Well, for now why don’t we head inside? It’s kind of hot out here

まぁ、テキトーに

Well, [vague encouragement to feel at home]

おお⁉︎

Oh!?

——— 97 ———

このへやつめたいぞ‼︎

This room is chilly!?

つめたい?クーラー効きすぎ?

Chilly? Is the air conditioner turned up too much?

!? !? ここは冬か!?

!? !? Is it winter in here !?

そんなに寒いかな?よつばちゃん冷え性?

Is it really that cold? Are you sensitive to cold, Yotsuba?

さ、さむいくない…えっと…ちょつどさむい!

I- it’s not cold… um … it’s precisely (as) cold (as it should be)!

………もしかて

……… perhaps

——— end ———

5 Likes

Uhh 3 pages again. I see that japanese has priority again :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m stupid, I did no readings for uni but three pages of よつばと!, three hours of Japanese listening, and my regular 1-2 hours of SRS:/ then I made dinner and went to a concert… I guess I’ll have to actually study what I’m supposed to today :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I read another page today.

よつばと!vol1, cha3, pp98 🍀

——— 98 ———

クーラーって知ってるかなー?この機械なんだけど

Do you know about air conditioners? About this appliance?

なんだそれは‼︎

What is that!!

それ

I’ll show you

おー‼︎つめたいかぜがでてくる‼︎

Oh!! A cold wind is coming out!!

なんだこれは⁉︎

What is it!?

クーラーよ、クーラー

An air conditioner, air conditioner

夏でもすずしくしてしまう機械よ

It’s a machine that makes it cool even tho it’s summer

おおー、すっげぇー!

Ooo- amazing!

これアイスクリームつくれるか⁉︎

Can this thing make ice cream!?

それはムリだ

That’s not possible

——— end ———

5 Likes

Two pages today:) I do have a question about the だったら sentence tho :four_leaf_clover::upside_down_face::four_leaf_clover:
also, it’s 02:25AM what am I doing lol

よつばと!vol1, cha2, pp99-100 🍀

——— 99 ———

で、風香に言うことってなに?

So, what is it you need to speak with Fuuka about?

おれいをゆう

I’m going to say thank you

お礼?

Thank you?

ほら!ふーか よつばの絵かいてくれた!

Look! Fuuka drew a picture of me!

へぇー

Hee—

——— 100 ———

あの子絵へたねぇー

That kid is bad at drawing

うん!

Yeah!

それでも、おれーいいにきた!

But despite that I came to say thanks!

それはえらいわねー

That’s great :smiley:

でも絵だったら恵那が上手よ

However, Ena used to draw well
(Jisho says だったら could be the past tense of だ, e.g. used to be, but also that it could mean “if that’s the case”, but “if what is the case about drawing then Ena is skilled” isn’t something I’m able to make sense of, hence my translation attempt)

えな?

Ena?

ほらいたでしょ、私と風香ともう一人

Look, (Ena) existed, right? Me and Fuuka and one more person

あーちっこいの

Ah, the tiny one

今、二階にいるわ遊んでもらいなさい

At the moment she’s at the second floor, go hang out with her

——— end ———

4 Likes

たら is causative. “if…then,” though sometimes contextually “when,” “after,” that sorta thing.

This one is the thing you referenced on Jisho. You kinda have to stretch it contextually away from the actual words jisho uses. Here it’s like “if it is drawing (that we are talking about), then Ena is skilled.” Obviously not quite how you’d phrase that in English but that sorta keeps the structure while hopefully making a little more sense!

5 Likes

This was in the possibility space I considered but I found it quite confusing, thanks for clearing this up for me :pray::heart: Ah! I don’t know how to properly express my gratitude to everyone who reads my study log and helps me, so my expression of my inability to do so will have to do. I do plan to pay it forward when I’m in a position to do so for at least as long as I’ve been receiving help :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Happy to help! Once you reach the level where you can, it just feels nice to do it, cause I remember fighting my way through every line of this manga too. I can feel the progress, and I’m sure you will too!

Just a nice community here, so much of what I know is a result of the help of others, too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The best part of helping others, once you reach the point you can do so, is it helps you improve your own understanding of the grammar. Even if you know the grammar somewhat, if you can’t explain it to someone else, that means there’s still room to improve. And if you look up the grammar and read up on it to help fill those gaps, so you can explain it, then you’re getting better at it in the process =D

And then just when you finally have the words to explain it, you find someone else already answered the question while you were looking things up… (But that’s okay as you’ll still have learned more!)

6 Likes

I read three pages today because I think one sentence ran across from page 102 to page 103, correct me if I’m wrong…

よつばと!vol1, cha2, pp101-103 🍀

——— 101 ———

え?だれ?

E-? Who’s there?

えなー

Ena-

あれ⁉︎ よつばちゃん

Huh!? Yotsuba

え?どうしたの?

Eh? What’s the matter?

——— 102&103 ———

あのなーあさぎがなーえながなーえがじょうずだからなー

Well, you see- it’s because, you see, Asagi (said) you’re good at drawing-

あれ⁉︎このへやはあついな‼︎えなクーラーしってるか⁉︎

What? This room is hot!! Ena, do you know about air conditioners?

しってるよー

I know about them

この部屋にもあるもん、はら

This room has one as well, look

あっ!ホントだ‼︎でもあついぞ⁉︎

Ah-! It ready does!! But it’s hot!?

えーと…できるだけクーラーは使わないようにしてるの地球温暖化って知ってる?

Um… as for using the air conditioner a lot, I don’t do it as it causes global warming, don’t you know?

(Honestly, to me “使わないようにしてるの地球温暖化” looks like “I don’t use it so that global warming is caused” e.g. the reason for not using it isn’t to prevent GW but to cause it… so I’m obviously missing a logical step in the sentence or something. Or it’s two sentences starting with “できるだけクーラーは使わないようにしてるの” but then what is she saying is the reason she’s not using the air conditioner much? Does she just trail off and then ask “do you know about global warming?”?)

ちきゅうだ…ん?

Global …ing?

あのね私もあんまりよくわかってないんだけど

Well, I don’t understand it very well either, but

すごーくおおまかにいうとー

I’ll tell you in very loose terms

(とー?)

クーラーを使うと地球あつーくなって、北極の氷とけて島が沈んじゃったり

When you use the air conditioner the world gets warmer, the polar ice melts, islands sink etc.

地球がとってもたいへんになるの、それが地球温暖化

The world is entering a terrible crisis (becoming very awful?), that’s what global warming is

ちきゅうおんだんか

Global warming

そう

That’s right

——— end ———

地球温暖化 it’s 地球温暖化 :scream:

4 Likes

Typo, that means “do you do cooler?”

Yes two sentences. First one she just explains that she uses it as seldom as possible (with explanatory no ending). She then probably wanted to explain why but wasn’t sure if yotsuba would understand. So she first switched to the question. “you know global warming/climate change?”

Would go with the translation in braces.

3 Likes

I do. Changed it, thanks :pray:

Thanks, I got that that was a more literal translation but wasn’t sure if it might not sound more like “entering terrible crisis” in Japanese.

Ok, I’m confused by ように which Jisho says means “in order to” but which apparently doesn’t have a referent in the sentence or the established context.

3 Likes

That is not simple a ように that is a whole grammar point ようにする conjugated to している and shortend to してる. Basically meaning you make sure/put effort that “verb” before the construct. (put effort into not using 使わない)

4 Likes

I read one page today. That was quite enough :sweat_smile:

よつばと!vol1, cha3, pp104 🍀

——— 104 ———

だからできるだけクーラーは使わないようにしてるの、でもすっごく暑い日はつけちゃうの

That’s why if at all possible I make an effort not to use the air conditioner, but, as for very hot days, I switch it on

クーラーはわるいか⁉︎ちきゅうのてきか⁉︎

Air conditioners are bad!? They’re the enemies of earth!?

うーん…そんなには…

Yeah… (but) that much… (I’m thinking Ena is expressing that Yotsuba is taking it a little far :p)

あれ?よつばちゃんちはクーラーないの?

Huh? Doesn’t your house have (an) air conditioner(s)?

な、ないよ⁉︎

N- no!?

だってとーちゃんはいいものなんだ‼︎クーラーなんかないよ!

Because dad is a good person!! We don’t have anything like an air conditioner!

(なんだ=のだ? explanatory の?)

ふーん、そっかー

Huh, is that so

…ないとおもう…

…I don’t think (we have)…

(I don’t understand what と is doing here and my Google-fu is failing me. Maybe I should buy All About Particles? Or is there a better book, as it uses romaji and that’s kind of bleh…?)

あれ⁉︎よつばちゃん⁉︎

What!? Yotsuba!?

——— end ———

4 Likes

The good news is this one is extremely straightforward and simple! と is used after thoughts or speech to mark them, that’s all. You’ll see と思う (とおもう) especially so often it’ll feel like a set phrase before long, I promise. Though often when you venture into books they like to drop the verbs for “thought” or “said” or other repetitive stuff and let と handle it on its own.

Yep, I believe so.

4 Likes

Whoo~ five pages today … at 1AM… hmm, better get to bed now after updating on the read every day thread…

よつばと!vol1, cha3, pp105-109 🍀

——— 105 ———

とーちゃん‼︎

Dad!!

なんだ?

What is it?

とーちゃん‼︎このいえクーラーあるか⁉︎

Dad!! Is there an air conditioner in this house!?

お、クーラーか!

Oh, it’s about air conditioners!

ばーちゃんはなかったもんな、じーちゃんがクーラー嫌いなんだよ

Grandma’s house didn’t have anything like that, grandpa hated air conditioners

——— 106 ———

でもこの家にはあるぞー‼︎じゃーん‼︎

But this house does have one!! Ta-da!!

——— 107 ———

寝室にもあるぞ、二階にもあるぞ

There’s also one in the bedroom, there’s also one on the second floor

とーちゃんみそこなった‼︎

Dad I’ve misjudged you/I’m disappointed in you!!

ええ⁉︎

Eh!?

——— 108 ———

な、なんで、みそこなうんだ⁉︎え⁉︎

Wh- why are you disappointed!? Eh!?

ちきゅうおんだんかだ‼︎

(Because of) global warming!!

なにぃ⁉︎

Whaaat!?

お、おまえそれ知ってんのか…:interrobang:

Y- you know about that…!?

あっ、あさぎもだ

Ah, Asagi

——— 109 ———

あさぎー‼︎クーラーとめろー‼︎

Asagi-!! Turn off the air conditioner!!

わっ、よつばちゃん

Wah- Yotsuba

あっ、えな

Ah- Ena

う…

Uu…

ど、とうしたの?

Wh- what’s wrong?

うちにクーラーがあった…とーちゃん…ちきゅうのてきだった…

In our house, there were air conditioners… dad… (turned out to be) an enemy of earth…

ええっ⁉︎いや…あの…

Eeh-!? No… um…

——— end ———

8 Likes

Such a great chapter :smiley:

2 Likes

Hehe I’m developing a habit of reading よつばと! after midnight…? That’s not good… I could only read one page tonight because I have a seminar at 8AM.

よつばと!vol1, cha3, pp110 🍀

——— 110 ———

え…えっと…ク…クーラーはすずしくってとってもいいなぁ

Uh… um… air… air conditioners also (make it) become nice and cool

最近のは省電力で地球にやさしいし、マイナスイオンが…

Lately conservation of electricity (have made us) more gentle towards the earth, negative ions…

なにしてんの?

What’s up?

あさぎはちきゅうのてきだ‼︎ちきゅうおんかんばー‼︎

You’re an enemy of earth!! Global wramling!!

——— end ———

7 Likes