(Back up) Floflo.moe - A WK-friendly website for reading

Why did my post end up so flubernucked?

Anyway, yeah, I was kinda going to ask about how many people stick with it, but didn’t want to kill the mood :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I was just kidding. We actually get several hundred page views a day. I’m pretty happy with it

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to use it more regularly. It’s the thought that counts, right?

2 Likes

The fact that you’re even thinking about it means that I’ve already won

5 Likes

So I just created an account (finally), but I’m curious about one thing. How come the settings (like WK API key) are only saved in cookies?

I may not even use the website until I want to read 時をかける少女, but I think it’ll be really useful then. So thanks for making the website! :blush:

1 Like

There’s not really a reason, it’s just how I organized it. Anything that affects mysql queries is stored as account metadata. Anything that is purely front-end (like SRS preferences) is saved as a cookie.

The exception is API keys which are saved as cookies because I do the actual ajax request in javascript. They do store the level that you get from the call as user meta though.

I see. It’s just a shame that the settings wouldn’t save across computers/browsers because of that.

1 Like

That’s a good point. The site’s still very fluid at the moment. It could be a change I could make eventually.

1 Like

Is there a way to see the words that you’ve trashed?

Lessons → trash tab. It shows you the most recent ones. Alternatively you could look up the word in the search thing (at the bottom of the lessons page)

1 Like

So, I’ve spent half an hour today trying to make a userscript for floflo to replace the difficulties by the actual word counts. It’s kinda ugly so far, and I basically load all the pages, so it’s pretty damn inefficient in terms of server load. Technically, I would like to display the remaining words as well, but I’m not doing well because I don’t know anything about JS… :sweat_smile:

@Raionus, if you think it’s a bad idea, I’ll just stop but then please tell me which “action” to send to the database to get those numbers

YAAAAAAAAASS!

It may only be a free short story but I KNOW IT ALL!!!

dramatic re-telling pending

5 Likes

Congrats

Do this one next

2 Likes

What’s your script looking like? There is no action to load unique words at the moment - it’s bundled in with the same function that loads the entire table. So like I don’t even know how you’re loading those numbers to begin with.

1 Like

I’ll put it on greasyfork once I’m happy with it, but the process so far is:

• for each elementor post card, look at the hyperlink.
    • follow the hyperlink and extract the content of “unfortunate child”
    • load the table
    • extract the vocab count wrap.
    • put that html in the green bubble instead of its current html

So, yeah, I end up loading EVERY table each time I load the page. I should add some caching in the script, but I don’t really know how I would detect a table changed…

1 Like

Try:

On script’s start, check if there’s a cookie.

If it exists → do nothing

If it doesn’t exist → do whatever your script does right now, then make a cookie that expires after (however long)

So that way the script only rechecks whenever the cookie has expired.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll try that.

So, thanks to @Raionus’s help with handling cookies, I got the thing to not actually destroy everyone’s bandwith.

Grab it here

This userscript replaces the difficulty by real numbers, with the format

remaining words at current frequency / total words at current frequency (total words)

And it looks like this:

I mostly made it to help me decide on what book to read next.

2 Likes

Is there a way to add a book to a queue or something (without adding words) so it’s easier to get back to books you plan on reading? Like a “My Books” section.

2 Likes

Wow, Floflo even has decks from anime (megalo box)??? This looks like freaking paradise.