(Back up) Floflo.moe - A WK-friendly website for reading

@Raionus not a bug or anything, but goddamn have you seen the fingers on this guy? This guy needs a cure for a lot more than just his nails.

3 Likes

The man’s got them yaoi hands :weary:

2 Likes

So uhm, I’m not against pledging 5$ for Alchemizer or anything, but can I know what it does before ? :joy: like, just a small description or something, cause I don’t really understand what you mean by " match against other books ". Do you mean adding your own books and extracting vocabs out of them ? If not, do you plan on adding such a feature ? (I have several epubs waiting lol) Also for some books like Hyouka, Oreigairu and Kokoro connect, is the vocab only from volume 1 or what ? With Rezero, it is written 1 so I assume it is volume 1 only, but what about these ? (Also do you plan on adding the other Rezero volumes ? It’d be darn cool especially since I’m reading it now xD)
Also, this site is pretty amazing. A genius idea. My only problem is that I don’t have enough words to convey how amazing this is right now xD Good work and thanks !

2 Likes

Oh sorry, I guess there’s no link to it on the page now. It’s very similar to what you can do with the website right now, but it gives you access to list types that use multiple book lists (overlapping words, etc.). Here’s the general idea of why you’d want to use them:

https://floflo.moe/introduction-to-combined-lists/

The most popular lists are overlapping words and primary list + frequency 1. The first is self-explanatory and the second is like a standard list, but it’ll show the frequency of frequency 1 words in your other selected books. Basically you use that one to determine if there are words that appear once that are worth learning for future books.

It’s volume 1 or the first season of something unless it says otherwise. I think I have two volumes of Re:Zero IIRC.

Mmm that’s a tough question. To be honest I don’t really feel comfortable with it because it would imply that at some point I have a full-ass copy of a book that I didn’t purchase on my server. My website is like 90% grey area already so I’m not really sure about that one.

1 Like

Oh, thanks for the reply !
I see what you mean… How about allowing people to buy you the ebooks they want to see published there ? I mean if it is just a question of things being legal or not. If not, ebooks are found easily for free everywhere. I’m sorry if I’m being annoying here xD

Yeah, I could see that happening at some point :ok_hand:

Hey there!
I’ve been following your project for some time but have been a bit hesitant to join your Patreon. Is there a chance that you’ll license your data under a free license (ideally CC0), even if it’s Patrons-only? That way, if you vanish or decide to turn evil megacorporation, the effort won’t be for naught.

1 Like

I’m a little reluctant to subscribe to the whole CC0 thing since I lack the experience to know what the repercussions of releasing my data would be.

I don’t plan on vanishing because I use the website as my primary learning method.
However, if I were forced to pack up (DMCA or something, since the website is legally grey), I’d release several posts detailing the data collection methods as well as all the resources used in the final project and all the resources I didn’t use and why I didn’t use them. I’d also detail the methodology used to assemble the definitions and readings from vocabulary lists so that people could do it themselves.

I started the project with 0 programming experience and it was a huge pain in the ass to research everything, so if I were forced to abandon ship, there’s no way I wouldn’t leave my findings behind.

Anyway, I don’t know if that’s a satisfactory answer for you but that’s my stance at the moment.

3 Likes

Small bug I noticed. When you do the search that is supposed to show the first volumes for the series " Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru" it shows volume 10. I’m not sure if that’s because Volume 1 doesn’t have a number attached, but I discovered that the other day.

1 Like

@Raionus, what about the idea of adding some JLPT deck under “other” category to be able to quickly trash common words ?

1 Like

Yeah, this weekend.

2 Likes

Should be up now. I used http://tanos.co.uk which is the same resource Jisho uses. Will post a small update later. Hopefully it doesn’t destabilize anything.

2 Likes

Update 4/12 - SRS and general update

Lists:

• Added 5 JLPT vocabulary lists + kanji (based on said lists)

SRS

• New shortcut ‘3’ will disable the current question type for that particular vocab word from now on
    • Equivalent to adding a “;” as the first character in the question box (which disables that Q type)
    • This is if, like, readings are super easy for certain words and you don’t want to waste time
  • Hotkeys shown when rolling over row
  • Warning when you enter the same wrong answer that you inputted last time you got it wrong (this is improved from the first implementation I did way back when)
  • Toggleable parts of speech (click the PoS tags to open modal)
  • Progress update appears every 5 questions instead of at a random % chance

Study

• Fixed the parts of speech being off center

Vocabulary Tables (beta version)

• Bug fixes
  • Added a help section
  • Built a system to handle private books (so I can handle custom book orders or something, idk the infrastructure is there now though).

Yeah, kind of a silent couple of weeks. I haven’t actually changed that much but I’ve been researching a lot of features I want to implement as well as stuff about Japanese in general.

Ideas I’ve been thinking of:

• Custom ordering of books (to deal with stuff with little mainstream appeal)
  • Some kind of system to suggest why you made definition/reading mistakes (something kind of like niai but for suggesting words you might have confused stuff for)
  • Systems to help users figure out what kanji readings are worth learning and what aren’t (and maybe auto ordering readings based on that)
  • etc.

I’m interested in writing a few articles about reading in Japanese, things that would be useful for intermediate to upper-intermediate students who haven’t grasped some of the nuances of the language. Stuff like stative vs. non-stative verbs and how that affects how to interpret usages of the plain/ます form of verbs. How the copula works. How to juggle particles when used in complex sentences (with relatives clauses, etc.).

Anyway, that kind of stuff.

9 Likes

Thanks !
But bloody hell I already found a word on the N5 word where I genuinely didn’t know the kanji :cry: (飴 = あめ)

1 Like

I found a word I didn’t know too! 字引. Haha whoops.

Also @Raionus what exactly does the ignore button do? I thought it temporarily takes the word out of whatever list and I as using it for the JLPT words I was shaky on/didn’t know so I just go down the list trashing/ignoring and getting it smaller and smaller. But now refreshing the list doesn’t bring back the ignored words it’s just a blank column…

Sorry buddy but we’re gonna have to revoke your license now. Back to Japanese I with you.

Trashes it for a month :wink:

3 Likes

Ah gotcha. No biggie then. Thanks!

1 Like

Oooh, exciting stuff! I like reading articles :eyes:

3 Likes

Cool it might get one view then :eyes:

4 Likes

@Raionus woke up to 4 reviews which is quite weird since I usually wake up to 100+ at around this time. Was there some problem again or is that a coincidence?