Audio Volume Control

Is WK audio way lower than anything else on your computer? In my case, I have to increase the volume a lot in my AV receiver to hear it to the same level that other sites or apps. It would benice to be able to modify it.

3 Likes

I feel the same way.

Agreed. I often put on some Japanese youtube videos for background noise while studying and I have to put youtube down to like 5-10% volume to be able to hear WK

Most media these days is compressed like crazy because LOUD IS GREAAATTT.
So broadcast content compared to WKā€™s audio will definitely sound louder, however I checked a random sample of their files and I can confirm the WK audio is fairly quiet and most likely hasnā€™t been through mastering (sure itā€™s not a Bon Jovi album, but post-processing is still important).

The audio could be improved if WK staff choose to reprocess all the files with normalization applied. They could also use compression/limiting, but normalization should provide enough benefit across the board.

This could be done quite easily as a batch process with something like sox
sox --norm infile outfile

* note, mp3/ogg support might require additional libs

2 Likes

Option B: use WaniKani with no other concurrent programs, turn up the volume, then turn the volume down when finished WaniKaniā€™ing

1 Like

I wasnā€™t saying that WK should have to do this - just offering it as a solution should they want to.
Option B is what I do too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I keep my computer at full sound when doing WaniKani (and I canā€™t have anything else on as I need to concentrate)
They are a little low I guess. Iā€™ve also found one or two that sounds like it was recorded in the bathroom =P

2 Likes

My option wasnā€™t a real solution, to be fair :sweat: it also is what OP seems to be doing currently, too.

Actual option B: turn down the default audio on your other commonly used programs (whatever you use for listening to music, watching video, etc), and just up your deviceā€™s master volume. The drawback to this is super-loud device notifications, but hey, those are important anyway, right?

1 Like

I had the same issue but the other way around: I would like to play music at a decently loud volume and then the WK audio is insanely loud so I wanted to lower the volume.

There are browser extensions to change the volume on a per browser tab basis. Iā€™m using ā€œVolume Controllerā€ in Chrome for example. It does however not work sufficiently well. I didnā€™t test it thoroughly but my impression was that it would work better if I was playing one large media file (e.g. watch a YouTube video) and it was having trouble because WaniKani was playing a lot of very short audio files and it seemed to forget the audio settings again and again.

I think there are also extensions that can set the volume of a browser tab to more than 100% which might be good for your use case but I didnā€™t test those. Just mentioning it as a possible option, maybe someone finds an extension that works better than the ones that I tested.

This just happened to me as ilustrated by the GIF.

Iā€™ve been using WK scarcely for the last months. Now that Iā€™m back, I see there is also another problem: recordings have different sound levels, like i.e. the masculine voice is lower than the femenine one.

featuring smash hits:
ā€œYou give kanji a bad nameā€
ā€œLay your hands onyomiā€
ā€œIā€™ll be there for senpaiā€

7 Likes

So much pun

1 Like

I wanted to say something fun to bump this. Iā€™ve been thinking about puns for a hour. I surrender. This is your standard post bump.

1 Like

Thatā€™s actually pretty funny.

Someone should parody those.

1 Like

featuring smash hits:
ā€œItā€™s a long way to the top (if you wanna reach level 60)ā€
ā€œDurtle deeds done dirt cheapā€
ā€œFor those about to burn (we saaaaluuuuute you)ā€

1 Like

Not exactly related to the topic but, is the audio for 귱恄 OK? It says it is pronounced 恵恋恄 but I only hear 恋恄

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.