Aria the Masterpiece: Chapter 18 Discussion

Thanks to 6分の1on page 271 I now know how to form fractions in Japanese, so that’s cool!

3 Likes

I’d already encountered that before, but I forget the structure five minutes later every single time…

Still working through this chapter, but I have a few small questions so far.

Page 279 second panel:
「アリシアさんに言いつけたる」

言いつける means “to tell on”, which makes sense in the context. But what is the role of たる in this sentence?

Page 281 first panel (text outside of bubble):
「どーりで(?)積極的だと思いました」

It looks like どーりで, but I can’t find anything for that. Is that right?
Also, what does the sentence mean as a whole? I get the words, but it’s not clear to me what it’s supposed to mean in context.

Page 281 second panel:
「でしたら仕事場の方にもご案内しますよ」

Again, I get the general meaning. But what specifically is でしたら? My best guess is the conjunction で meaning “and then; so​” followed by したら. But even so, I’m not quite sure what したら is doing in this sentence.

I’m-late-for-stuff-again answer corner.

It’s てある

I’ll have to check later. I think it’s right

だったら But formal.

1 Like

Ohh, another contraction. I should be able to remember this one sine it’s like ておく becoming とく.

Ah, makes sense. Plus I realize now I wasn’t really tying it back to the previous question and Akari’s answer.

Looking forward to it. :wink:

1 Like

You can also have a long read :stuck_out_tongue:
uranaru [ウラナル]|毎日のラッキーアイテムをウラナルで。

tl;dr it’s 道理で

Ha, of course it’s just どおりで. Should’ve thought to try that… Too late at night to read a fully Japanese explanation, but I’ll take a look tomorrow. Even just looking it up in jisho now was helpful.

1 Like

Too bad, it isn’t in this case :stuck_out_tongue:
Both are possible, but with the current sentence construction, it’s the other one.

「そういうわけで」という意味になります。

Alright, finally done the chapter. That chapter was so much fun, probably one of my favorites so far. Unlike @hachiken, I actually loved all the gravity explanations, both the real ones and the made up gravity beads one. It was surprisingly easy to understand (given that I already understand [at a high level] how gravity works). It helped that Al explained things in layman terms too.

Also, the last few pages were really funny. I almost freaked out when Aika said a corny line and Akari also almost freaked out and said 恥ずかしいセリフ禁止. :joy: Not to mention their phone call at the end when they realized he was older than them.

On an unrelated note, @Naphthalene please tell me there was at least one word you didn’t know when reading this chapter. I can’t help but be curious. :joy:

5 Likes

Well, I didn’t know 道理で (nor its spoken version どーりで), but, like you, I didn’t have a problem understanding it in context.

Other than that, I can’t remember :thinking: I do remember that I didn’t use a dictionary, though.
(I only used it once in the whole book so far, to check that 狐の嫁入り was a thing; it is)
But again, understanding words in context does not mean that I know them (however, I usually just focus on the story, so I don’t even notice).

1 Like

Right, I should have realized. When reading in English, I skip over words I don’t know without even thinking about it 99% of the time, so it’s not surprising you do the same in Japanese. I guess I’ll just stop asking that then. :laughing:

3 Likes

I’m nowhere near being able to read this yet, but in a few weeks/months I could see this being really helpful!