April 28th Daily Reading ブラックジャックによろしく: Community Reading Exercise

Oh wow, so misinterpreting 低い can really change the meaning of the sentence.

2 Likes

My understanding is that the subject particle が can only come after a noun; while the conjunction particle が (“but”) comes after a verb.

Would that be a correct way to tell them apart, or am I missing some cases ?

1 Like

@YanagiPablo:
I flagged my message to make it a wiki which it is now. You can now edit your link as you see fit.

@Naphthalene if you’d like to claim and share your knowledge it’d be a good time. Participation is low so I’d be a change from being by myself doing everything :disappointed_relieved:.

I’ve added page 21 in the first thread which covers F to J.

Claiming F.

1 Like

:rofl: fair enough. That being said, it’s simply the combination of multiple words. 食道 oesophagus is probably the least common in there, but you’d be surprised. 静脈 vein shows up often-ish as well, I lastly saw it in a light novel with gory details (no need to explain more I guess). 瘤 also appeared in the same book (with the meaning of bump rather than swelling, but still), interestingly :joy: it’s even included in a children song (well, without any kanji, obviously). 破裂 (rupture) is probably the most common of the bunch.

The subject が can also come after a nominalized verb, for instance. That’s technically a noun, but I feel it’s still good to keep that in mind. the “but” が can come after an i-adjective as well.

Sure, I’ll do a few.

1 Like

G

Transcription:
ラシックス(利尿剤)で尿量を確保して手術記録を書いておいてくれ
今 やる事はそれだけだ

Vocabulary

ラシックス name of a drug
(利尿剤)(explaining to the non medical expert that that was the name of a diuretic drug)
で particule indicating method
尿量 volume of urine
を direct object particle
確保する (in て form) to maintain
手術記録 surgery notes/records
書いておいてくれ please write (ておく means to do something for later/ in preparation for something, くれ is a way to give an order)
今 now
やる to do (informal)
事 thing
は topic particle
それ that
だけ only
だ (copula)

Interpretation

Use ラシックス (a diuretic) to maintain his volume of urine and please write the surgery report. Right now, that’s all that can be done.

I do not know if ラシックス exists in the English speaking world, and I don’t know how to look that up anyway :sweat_smile:

H

出久根先生
君には他の患者を紹介する

Vocabulary

出久根先生 Dr. Dekune
君 you
に particule indicating indirect object here
は contrastive particule (putting contrast with Dr. Saito’s situation)
他 other
患者 patient
紹介する to introduce

Interpretation

Dr. Dekune, I will introduce an other patient to you.

Sadly that interpretation lost the contrastive nuance of “I have other plans for you”, but I don’t really know how to work that into a natural sounding English sentence.

3 Likes

F.

@YanagiPablo if you want, there’s also the translation summaries to be added in. Shannon liked it when the sentences were compiled next to each other to provide a general reading comprehension.

Analysis

Close-up:

斎藤先生
Doctor Saitou

First Unit:
君『には』この患者『の』受け持ち『を』…
You will be in charge of this patient’s…

☆受け持ち【うけもち】to be in charge of.

お(polite prefix)願いする
Lol, nevermind, the を was just to introduce a polite request.

《斎藤先生, 君『には』この患者『の』受け持ち『を』お願いする》
Doctor Saitou, you will be in charge of this patient please

1 Like

I looked it up. In English it’s called “Lasix” and it’s administrated for, among other things, liver diseases.

I find your commentary super instructive. Especially about くれ to give an order.

Claiming I

2 Likes

I had analyzed 食道静脈瘤破裂 here; but didn’t knew that 静脈瘤 is actually 静脈+瘤; bumped vein, indeed that makes a lot of sense.

I’m surprised at 食道 being the least common; as it was the only one I could understand/guess the most easily.

the “but” が can come after an i-adjective as well.

Oh, yes. Actually I think of them both (動詞 and 形容詞) as a same category… is there a word for them both ?

1 Like

Wait, why is that in a different thread? I’m having trouble following the organization of this group :sweat_smile:. Do you just carry over unfinished pages to the next thread?

That’s entirely based on my experience, not on frequency lists or anything. Your mileage may vary :slight_smile: And yes, the meaning is fairly straightforward from the kanji; those are the best kind of words (from a learner’s perspective :stuck_out_tongue:).

Not that I know of, but I’m not very versed in formal grammar, so that doesn’t mean such word does not exist.

1 Like

J

何言ってるんだ…?
このくらい研修医一人でやるのはどの病院でも常識だぞ

Vocabulary

何 what
言ってる slurred 言っている to be saying
んだ slurred のだ adds emphasis
このくらい that much
研修医 doctor in training + 一人 one person -> one single doctor in training
で particle indicating mean/method
やる to do (informal)
の nominalization
は topic
どの … でも which(ever) …/ in any …
病院 hospital
常識 common sense
だ copula
ぞ emphasis (not super nice)

Interpretation

What (the heck) are you talking about?
Having a single doctor in training doing that much is common sense in any hospital.

2 Likes

Claiming I:

Analysis

Close-up

え…僕と一緒じたいんです『か』?
This is a typical sentence with an ellipsis which always throws me off. But this time I caught it with its pants down.

He’s talking to his teacher with the glasses and asks him:* (You) won’t be together with me?*

1 Like

Claiming K:

I’ve added p.22 to this first message so people have some more to do. If some reason we run out, I’d be nice/appreciated if the last person to claim a letter would upload the page that follows.

Well, K is just a repetition of what was already said:
You are in charge of this patient

Re: J:

@Naphthalene
Is 『ぞ』generally a particle which means s you’re being not very nice/very direct in your communication?

2 Likes

Hm, it’s “rough”, and roughness (especially in a work situation like here) would not be considered nice, but that’s context dependent. If you are a man talking to close male friends, it can be fine (but yes, it would be “direct” anyway)

2 Likes

Wait, why is that in a different thread?

Because it was some pages before, but it is the same word (that is why I recognized it immediately).

Do you just carry over unfinished pages to the next thread?

It sometimes happen also.
I myself prefer to just leave on the original, after all it isn’t much important if the reading and analysis is done on a different day than the one in the thread title.
I am not as fast as others, but I like to look all the aspects of the texts (even “off-frame” texts: text in the landscape, chapter titles, etc.)

(動詞 and 形容詞) as a same category… is there a word for them both ?

Could 活用語 be understood in that sense ? (I seems 活用詞 doesn’t exist) (活用 (かつよう) : 1. practical use, 2. conjugation, inflection)

2 Likes

Is 『ぞ』generally a particle

@Shannon-8 hosted some reading threads about クレヨンちゃん, 九歳の男児. All the small history titles (supposedly told by that character) ended in ゾ …

Actually, despite the simplicity of the stories, and the very small amount of kana, it was a hard thing to read; due to the big amount of contractions, ellipsis, child-speak and lack of particles.

2 Likes

Claiming L:

Analysis

Close-up:

Transcription:
今日(きょう)(はじ)めて(ぼく)『は』正式(せいしき)『に』入院患者(にゅういんかんじゃ)『を』()()ちつ(こと)『に』なった…

今日(きょう)(はじ)めて(ぼく)『は』正式(せいしき)『に』入院患者(にゅういんかんじゃ)『を』()()ちつ(こと)『に』なった…

And so on that day/today it was my responsibility to become in charge of an in-patient

or

Today I became in charge for the responsibility of an in-patient

There isn’t much analysis to be done here either. It’s all pretty straightforward I think.

As so today it was my responsibility to be in charge of an in-patient for the first time

I feel like to be responsible and to be in charge is redundant but oh well, I didn’t write it.

Nevermind, it’s ‘officially’, not be responsible.

1 Like

Well, there is (はじ)めて : for the first time; and 正式(せいしき)『に』, officially.

Also, you already know it maybe, but for others: 入院 = hospitalization (lit. entry into a hospital); the antonym is 退院 (たいいん), leaving a hospital

2 Likes

(You) won’t be together with me?

I wonder… is he asking about “the teacher” not being with him,
or about “出久根先生” (Dr Dekune, the other student that was summoned together with Saitou), not being with him ?

Saitou asks that just after Professor 白鳥 (/!\ irregular reading しとり) told Dekune that for him it will be another different assignement.

Then, Shiratori replies with … 研修医一人で … “one single intern”.

So I think 僕と一緒じたいんですか is rather “(He, Dekune) won’t be together with me?”

2 Likes

That’s the most reasonable to assume, considering that they were just talking about Dekune.
It’s possible to bypass the problem by turning the sentence as “(We) won’t be together?” :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Claiming M:

Analysis

Close-up:

I’ll delve into the details a bit further this time, I might’ve rushed a bit last time although from the get go I think it means “My life purpose is to protect that person’s life” but let’s see if my intuition is right.

(ぼく)使命(しめい)『は』この老人の(いのち)『を』(まも)(こと)だ…

I was pretty much on the money. I thought 使命(しめい) was ‘life purpose’ because he’s been having an existential crisis but actually it means mission.

(ぼく)使命(しめい)『は』この老人の(いのち)『を』(まも)(こと)だ…
My mission is to safeguard/protect this old man’s life

Since I was the person who claimed the last letter, I’ve uploaded the next page. Letters N to Q inclusively are now available.