Anything I should know before going premium?

@rfindley has probably done it a number of times. He reached 60 eons ago and has been through several rounds of added items. And he reset pretty far recently, but I don’t think he actually did the reviews himself to get back to 60.

3 Likes

I paid for a year in about October, was still mulling over a lifetime subscription by the time the discount came around, regretted not getting it, then paid for another year the next October, and then finally jumped on the lifetime discount (with my prorated amount since I had already paid for a year). It was worth it for me because I’m kinda taking my time and after this October I will have been at it for a full 2 years and I’m still only in the 40s. Trying to race through it in a year is a bad strategy, in my opinion. And with lifetime you can take advantage of those sweet, sweet updates…for life.

TL;DR: even if you’ve been at it for a year, I still think lifetime is worth it. And even if you pay for a year now, you’ll get whatever you didn’t use in a second discount when you go lifetime.

3 Likes

That’s 絞める I guess. It was added a few weeks ago. It’s also my one guru item right now (that’s the highest level it can be right now).

6 Likes

Great question! Try searching for a 50% discount code. I don’t know if it’s okay to post it in the forums, but they are easy to find anyway.

Those illicitly spread discount codes haven’t worked for a long time now.

2 Likes

Really? Mine is still working and I found it on reddit.

1 Like

They might not have expired existing ones (since they would have no way of knowing which users used them legitimately), but I’m pretty sure they can’t be applied anymore.

2 Likes

Oh, there, at least one has: @MissMisc

If I remember correctly, the first person to achieve “all-burned” at Level 60 was midiman (I was the 2nd a few days later). I think we were just about there in mid-April 2016 when WK added about a dozen new items, which set us back to sometime in October 2016.

I’m not sure who was the first back when there were only 50 levels.

3 Likes

A lot of people are suggeting lifetime, so I’ll think about waiting for christmas and gifting myself the lifetime premium then

I think the question is just whether you think it’s worth from now :slight_smile:
I actually got lifetime in the middle of the year, because I hadn’t seen the posts about the discount at the end of the year yet…

1 Like

Aside from all the payment options, it’s important to know that it will get much harder and more time intensive, so look into the different ways people manage their lessons and reviews to avoid getting swamped.

3 Likes

My level 60 posts’ collection has a wall of fame for those that burned them all. Blaveloper was another achiever of it.

@Naphthalene An idea for our future badge of all burned (that the Wanikani team will totally have to implement): :fire: symbol with golden background :sunglasses:

3 Likes

They’d need to make a new group, and have some function that automatically move people to that group, but it’s not that different from stuff they already do for level. Expect buggy status updates.

2 Likes

About discount codes, you can write hello@wanikani.com very nicely and they might give you a 20% discount on the monthly or annual subscriptions for one year. Worked for me)

mfw you don’t think people can learn from me ANIME%20NITRO%20EMOTE%20SERVER-1

1 Like

I think I remember @hinekidori managed to burn all items once, too, back in the day.

1 Like

Ha, I almost put (sunk cost fallacy) in parenttheses there. But yeah, even though it’s now “all the cost for only the second half of the content” I think it would be worth it. Especially at a discount. But we’ll see what the opportunity cost is when the time comes. i have money, but not unlimited money, if you know what i mean.

1 Like

i got the lifetime subscription during the last sale, and because i already had a yearly subscription (with a 20% discount), wanikani subtracted my remaining yearly’s fee from the lifetime’s cost. so i ended up paying 140$ instead of the 200$

Lifetime during sale. Takes away the edge and gives you more options when life interferes with your ambitions.

Been there and am very glad I decided to go lifetime.