Anyone interested in an 暁のヨナ (Yona of the Dawn) book club?

I’d say scheduled is the way to go, everyone can do their own schedule if they want to.
For the scheduling I think you need to decide first what your “target group” is. Like there are absolute beginner, beginner, intermediate and advanced book clubs on here and they do the pacing according to their level.

If I would start a book club I’d probably just set a schedule according to my level and my speed. But depends on how you want to do it. :slight_smile:

I’m currently participating in another book club ( 君の名は ) so I’m pretty busy with this one, which is why I would recommend a slower schedule. But I think one chapter per week is a pretty slow schedule for a manga book club. There isn’t that much to read in one chapter after all and you could be finished within a few minutes, if you understand everything immediately.

For the start date I’d pick a later one. March 1st is already in ~2 weeks, some people might want to get physical copies which take time to ship etc. So I’d suggest a start date like one month from the date you post the official book club topic.

I’m fine with four! Like Rain32 I’ve read the first volume and a half in Japanese, but it’s been a few years. It’s actually the first manga I ever read in Japanese so I think it’ll be cool to see how much I’ve progressed since then! (Also I just think it’s a great manga)

I think scheduled is best. That way I can plan how much time to devote to it each week on top of other studying I’m doing. As far as when we start, I’m down to start whenever everyone else is ready, I already own the first ten volumes.

Any idea how many pages there are in a chapter?

Edit: I answered my own question actually. 30-60 pages per chapter, depending.

I would be interested in joining too.

I think I’ll classify this as a beginner book club since the language in the manga is simple enough. There’s definitely non modern day language in here but I feel like it’s manageable.

So each volume has 6 chapters with some having an extra chapter and the first volume having 5. I’m thinking two chapters a week then with the first week being one chapter since it’s double the length of a regular chapter (60 pages as opposed to 30). I’ll probably make a poll for this when I make the official thread. Most beginner manga book clubs I’ve seen do one chapter a week but I’m fine with a slightly faster schedule. There’s 34 volumes currently after all. We can slow down or speed up of if need be.

I’ll make the official thread sometime this week and set the start date as March 15. Of course we can start earlier if everyone has their books.

Anything else I’m missing? I’m open to more input :smile:

3 Likes

The book has been ordered :truck: :books: Can’t guarantee I’ll be able to keep up with the 2 chapters a week schedule, but I’ll definitely be reading along :relieved: Looks like you have 10 people with a Yes in the poll now too

I think I could do this if we did one chapter a week, two would be too much for me. But don’t let that slow you down, maybe I’ll join later. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess I can do the poll now. OP updated with poll.

Just to say, if you’re targeting beginner book club level, one chapter per week is the way to go. And since the first chapter is 60 pages, I’d even recommend doing that over two weeks. That’s pretty standard for the actual beginner book club. You can always adjust later if the people still reading along want to go faster.

1 Like

I would prefer one chapter a week as well but I can try to push myself to two a week if that is preferred.

I’ve just finished the anime yesterday, and I love it!
I was interested in the manga anyway, but I wasn’t sure on how difficult it was.
have you guys already started? Or when are you going to start?

I’ve already checked and I can buy it in digital from Bookwalker.
Please let me know!

Hasn’t started yet, think @beari will make a post here when the bookclub thread goes up, so don’t stress. It looks like March 15 is the tentative begin date, but the details will be in the main thread anyway.

1 Like

Thank you.
I see, so there is time. That’s nice.
Since just yesterday I’ve finished the anime, I’m really thrilled XD

1 Like

I’d like to order the first book now in preparation. I see I can by it from Amazon.co.jp but the shipping is about $15. Are there better places to buy Japanese manga from?

I’ve had a good experience with buying manga in japanese from ebay. They aren’t typically too horrible about shipping, and sometimes you can even find what you want from a buyer in the U.S.

Not having to fight with the fake Japanese address, credit card info, etc. on Amazon.jp is also a plus

Well - I just bought the first 3 manga from amazon.co.jp so I’m a definite yes now! I changed my vote, too. :slight_smile:

@AshesIntoFlame - Strangely enough I’ve never needed to do a fake Japanese address, credit card, etc with amazon.co.jp. I have bought both textbooks and manga this way. I think it’s similar to when it’s Amazon Prime in the US, when Amazon JP is backing the items, they can ship worldwide without problem.

Never had the same luck when buying video games though…

Home thread now live.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.