Anyone else using primarily Anki for WK?

There’s a limit to how much effective careful, concentrated, diligent study you can do in a day. You can do effective, casual immersion for hours and hours without necessarily feeling the burn. Both are important, I think.

Also about the gamification, there’s no real bragging rights for playing WaniKani on hard mode with an S Rank. It’s gamified, but it’s not a game. I want easy mode - easy to learn, that is, not necessarily easy to level up. To me, that means not wasting my time on fiddly things like correct input or the right synonym. Ymmv.

2 Likes

I have the opposite issue to you! I have an anki deck that uses WK’s layout and requires me to type my answers because I found I just wasn’t learning anything by saying “yupo I got that!” XD

1 Like

Yeah, it’s really interesting: I know people have gone through a lot of trouble to make Anki behave more like WaniKani while others are doing the exact opposite thing. I’m just very happy that both WaniKani and Anki can be customized so heavily and there is usually a way to make it work the way you want it to, no matter which learning style you prefer.

3 Likes

I think this is it. Everyone will be different. I’m slightly amazed that folk seem to think learning without typing is somehow by design less efficient, which is at best a dubious statement to make. I’m also not having any problems figuring out if I knew something or not - every time I loudly say either the English name or the Japanese word together with additional うs and おs. If I said it right, it’s right, else it’s wrong regardless of whether I said ‘discussed’ instead of ‘discuss’ or forgot a ‘the’ or not. The time saved I invest in additional wk reviews on anki, which nets me at least a third more reviews per day. That’s much more efficient and effective than worrying about where keys are on my keyboard.

3 Likes

It’s not so much about efficiency for me. I am EXTREMELY aware of the fact that the way I learn Japanese is incredibly inefficient, Taking two-three months to restructure my anki cards after getting serious burnout is evident of that but also I don’t have some sort of goal looming over me that I have to have some sort of x level of fluency to reach in y years, I’m just enjoying the learning process, but want to know I have absolutely cemented what I already learned for my own sake more than anything, so I choose to adopt a system whereby I am marking my progress fairly and honestly.

If you wish to be more lenient, that’s on you and your learning style, there’s nothing wrong with either method, I will accept minor typos too which is why I have double check installed on WK but typing things out helps me ensure I am not being overly lenient with myself, and also as I am not a strong audio/visual learner, just seeing things does not help me learn, I learn easier by ‘doing’ and writing or typing aids that. :slight_smile:

the “learner types” myth has been busted a few years ago. we all learn the same.

I’m deaf and have sensory/contextual difficulties likely autism so I struggle extremely with being ‘shown’ something or ‘told’ something and being expected to retain that information, or how to apply it if I do XD

1 Like

okay, you’re excused then :wink:

1 Like

heheh, it’s not all bad, it does mean I’ve learnt slowly over time how to break things down into their most basic level, and to be patient with learning (according to my work colleagues this makes me a fantastic teacher too) and I see patterns and connections where other people don’t :slight_smile:

But it also makes me a very efficient language learner because I lack context to draw from when learning something new, so to me Japanese is just ‘Japanese’, and I don’t get what people mean when they say it’s hard to learn because they are native English speakers (I’m not very confident, but that’s a different issue to learning).

Never try to give me directions to a new place though… Or try to make me use an idiom XD

1 Like

that’s how you learn the kanji effectively though, breaking them down is exactly the way. you should be fine here on wk :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I’m doing well and enjoy the teaching style, think I’m gonna be here a while :slight_smile: I was using Japanese from Zero for a few months, but as soon as I hit Volume 3 and he started teaching Kanji, everything got confusing because he never explained readings properly and explanations were way to broad and throwing grammar examples way too early :frowning:

Edit: Thus I’m also looking forward to was EtoEto brings to the table!

1 Like

you should give that book a try again later, when you have the N5/N4 kanji under your belt. i can’t imagine that a basic textbook goes further than that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.