Anyone else never get 中佐、大佐、etc. correct?

These are gonna be the last items I ever burn, if I ever burn them :joy:

And to add to my misery this level (54) added some more references to military command structures.

11 Likes

Rarely! If I burned any it was by luck

5 Likes

At least it’s really easy to remember the hierarchy between 少佐, 中佐, and 大佐. I remember 少佐 is “major” because of Violet Evergarden.

9 Likes

I couldn’t tell you the hierarchy in English, so I don’t put much effort into knowing what the meanings are. The main thing is just knowing that it’s some kind of military rank, and if I needed to know more I could check, just like I’d need to in English.

16 Likes

I remember 大佐 is Colonel because of Fullmetal Alchemist. :slightly_smiling_face: Armstrong is a 少佐, though that never lodged in my mind, for some reason.

Think I learnt most of the 尉 ranks from Pumpkin Scissors. Been a while since I watched that, though.

9 Likes

Oh, I think I heard 少尉 a bunch in Sora no Woto.

1 Like

Still in my apprentice.

2 Likes

i know 大佐 from fullmetal alchemist brotherhood thanks to probably my favorite character in all anime マステング大佐, the other one not so much

2 Likes

I’m getting them correct lately, but only due to my recent Star Trek binge.

But honestly, if it weren’t for that I might simply not have cared anymore. I can’t differentiate between those terms in my native language or English, so I won’t really care about the exact translation anyway.

If someone would tell me that they’re a corporal, I’d be as informed as when a Japanese person tells me they’re 中佐.

8 Likes

I learned 少尉, 中尉 and 大尉 from Muv-Luv.

In general it seems the best way to deal with these kind of words is to either watch/read/play something military themed or just add “Some military rank I don’t care about” to synonyms of every one of them.

11 Likes

This really good but XD

That was a great idea with the synonyms. Had them in review today and one by one added military rank as a synonym as I got them wrong! Thanks. :smile:

What’s general then?

普通, obviously. :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah, 将軍. Depending on what precise flavour of general you’re actually after.

2 Likes

I’m definitely going to regret this in a few years when I’m in some life or death scenario involving military command structures.

4 Likes

Well, even if you don’t know the English equivalent, the kanji make the structure obvious anyway. 少 < 中 < 大

4 Likes

So following on from that, I should probably put in synonyms along the lines of Important Military Dude, Really Important Military Dude, and Boss Military Dude? :laughing:

I actually find the hardest thing to remember is how to spell left loot liut oh sod it -enant

6 Likes

No, boss military dude is 一. As in 一将 or 一尉. :slightly_smiling_face:

He’s the guy you lease your house to instead of the other guy. The lieu-tenant.

5 Likes

Guess I’m going to have to downgrade 大佐 to Even More Important Military Dude then.

3 Likes

Well all this terminology will likely be helpful if you ever watch or read something like 銀河英雄伝説. Plenty of military ranks to deal with in that one. :sweat_smile:

For example:

https://gineipaedia.com/wiki/Military_ranks_of_the_Galactic_Empire