Any way of adding more lessons?

I’ve been having an issue lately where I’ve been doing my reviews and lessons but often find I don’t have many reviews/lessons to do. I know this is a problem early on but I’m currently on Level 12 with some Level 11 in Apprentice/Guru but the leveling up process has just crawled to a grinding halt.

I do Wanikani for my Kanji and some vocab but also Anki on the side everyday and I often find myself doing a lot less Wanikani than I did when I started. My reviews are getting smaller and smaller as time goes on and I can’t add more until I level up, so it’s been a bit frustrating when I have 1 or 2 kanji to Guru before its decides I can learn more.

When I use Anki and notice my amount of daily cards reducing I can start learning new vocab on my own without any restriction, and was wondering if there was some script or anything I could use to make the wait less dreadful.

I started in 2019 and would take several month long breaks from using Wanikani when I’d be doing my Japanese at school. But now that I’m out of school I have more time to dedicate to Wanikani yet ironically less new lessons and reviews total. If I were to take a week off I’d only had to review 345 items, which is basically how much I review on Anki daily. I have around 630 burned items and 620 Enlightened items with only around 200 or less on lower level items, so more than half the reviews are months away.

2 Likes

Since you spread out the previous levels, you’ve reduced the long tail of reviews that you would normally start seeing at this point.

I would give it another month and see how the load progresses as you continue to do WK daily.

7 Likes

That’s kind of what I was thinking, I tried to combat this a little bit by doing any new reviews as soon as I get them. So hopefully as time goes on it will normalize again.

2 Likes

The only thing that unlocks lessons is guruing radicals (which unlock kanji lessons) and kanji (which unlock vocab lessons, and which determine when you level up). If you want to get more lessons and more reviews, you just need to do your existing reviews when they’re available, and once new lessons become available to you, get in the habit of doing your reviews and lessons consistently every day. You’ll quickly start building a review queue, and then having nothing to do will be the least of your problems, haha!

1 Like

You can do my reviews and lessons if you want

5 Likes

Honestly I kind of miss having in the 1000s for reviews, idk if Wanikani and Anki broke me but it felt like a challenge to go after. Like how the more Durtles show up near the mountain as reviews get higher and but slowly go down until you have a single one of top triumphantly; that’s what it feels like doing all of them. Now I have to fill my Japanese study with other things now lol.

Edit: Now that I think of it, it’s probably the gamification that both of them use through SRS and stats that keep me coming back. I loathe reading so I use these two to make learning to read fun, I need to find a way to “gamify” listening too since I don’t get much of that.

Yeah, I also feel that the gamified approach keeps me coming back for my reviews and lessons. But unfortunately the SRS is just there to augment your memory of individual items, not to make you better at processing the language in real time, so you should seek out reading and listening material!

Keep in mind reading can be very simple things like social media posts or sentence flashcards. On social media you’ll get good exposure to how Japanese people actually communicate daily, and you’ll read Japanese written by hundreds of different people. I use HelloTalk for this. And sentence flashcards will also give you a bite-sized reading challenge, while keeping the SRS game feel.

If you really want a lot more reviews, in case you aren’t doing so already, use Kaniwani. And for even more anki flash cards, when you read or listen, just look up every word you don’t know and make a 2-way card for it. That will definitely boost your SRS workload!

And finally, I should say that the later levels of WaniKani do get significantly harder, since the kanji start to look like other kanji you already know, the concepts become more abstract, and the usage frequency starts to drop so you don’t get as much reinforcement of the words you learn. My guess is that when you get to level 60 you will not be wishing for thousands of more reviews :slight_smile: But if you have time and energy to pile on the reviews now, go for it!

Yeah I feel like gamification helps me come back a lot, I already do use Anki for flash card reviews on top of Wanikani. I’ve been going though my decks I’ve made for Genki 1/2, Irodori 1/2, and Tobira for the past year so I usually have 300-400 reviews a day (5 Cards per word).

I have used Kaniwani but not too frequently so I’m probably going to start that back up again since I know Wanikani only tests my comprehension from Japanese → English and Readings. My Anki decks do both the job of Japanese → English, English → Japanese with additions of:

• Listening (Audio → 漢字)
  • Production (漢字 → ひらがな)

But I know I should find some way to get myself to use the isolated Kanji/Vocab I’ve been learning, I’ve printed out some Tadoku readers that I found free online I just have to get in a habit of reading them. Since it can either be really cool reading everything without issue or frustrating when I can read everything but not understand the meaning; but I guess that’s the learning process. I already have a few issues with Kanji looking similar so I’ve been making an Anki deck to drill those items in my head, and so far its been working.

I do also have a lifetime bunpro subscription so I was thinking about using that as a way of using the vocab/kanji to get some sentence mining in. It’s odd I like the “gamey” feel of learning Japanese but not the application, probably since it’s easier to learn a bunch of vocab in isolation than actually applying it lol. I normally am not a book reader in English so I guess its doubly so in Japanese, I use my phone, games, and some programs in Japanese so at least I see and read it everyday in those places. I would turn my computer settings into Japanese but I’m still a long road ahead on my Kanji understanding to do that without being afraid of messing things up.