Any competitive individuals who wanna race me?

I have been using the kotoba quiz bot again on discord as of recently, and as of today I decided to tackle the kanken 1級 decks. There are 447 words in the 漢検1級 deck and 1987 四字熟語 in the 漢検1級四字 deck.

In total that makes 2,434 different kanken 1 questions that you need to know the reading to. I plan just memorizing all of these for fun, but thought it would be cool if someone else would try to race me. We could have something like the first to get a perfect 100/100 on a quiz or something.

I figure chances are slim on here that people would wanna do it, but all I need is one person, so might as well ask! If not, mah, no harm done. I don’t know how big of a time commitment this would be, honestly. Depending on how much kanji from the yoji deck come from the standard deck it might be pretty fast. The 600 items on the j1k decks took me two days, but they were almost entirely words or kanji I was already familiar with. I’ll do some investigating to see how much the overlap is and edit this thread with an anwer.

14 Likes

Sure why not

10 Likes

13 Likes

OK, I will participate as a spectator. How could someone who doesn’t even know what discord is acces that?

2 Likes

First, download discord here or just use it in the browser and make an account

Then, just give me your discord name with the 4 numbers that they’ll give you that come after it and ill invite you to our old gamenight server. There, you can just directly pm the bot and use itt that way or use it in the server. I’ll show you how to use it when you get in.

So I took a rough list of kanji I knew a half year ago + the kanken 1 deck and weighed it against the yoji deck and there were 490 ones that didn’t show up. Here they are
于 亢 仆 佞 佩 佯 佻 俛 俱 倡 倨 倪 倹 偕 傅 儒 兢 兪 冢 冤 冽 凊 凰 剋 勁 勒 匡 匣 匪 匱 卅 卞 厥 厲 叢 吮 呫 哳 啞 啾 喃 喙 嗇 嘖 嘯 嚬 嚮 囂 囊 囹 圃 圄 坤 垠 堊 堯 塡 壎 壑 夙 夷 奐 奸 姚 姸 婉 婬 嫗 孟 寇 寠 寤 對 尨 尫 尭 尸 尹 屛 屢 峭 崙 巍 已 帖 帚 幄 幗 廈 廩 廬 彗 彬 徇 很 徙 徼 忿 恣 恪 悋 悖 悚 惕 惶 愒 慷 懈 戈 戎 扛 拏 挈 按 掉 掣 揆 揣 搏 摧 撈 撼 擒 擺 攘 攬 斌 斟 旁 旄 旰 旱 晏 晨 暉 曼 朋 朮 李 杼 枉 柝 柢 柯 栴 桀 桂 棊 棗 棠 棣 椽 楮 槁 槃 槐 槿 檀 櫪 歠 殃 殫 殷 毋 氾 汀 汨 沃 沛 沮 洛 洶 洸 洽 浩 涅 渙 渚 渟 渭 游 渺 湘 湮 溲 溷 滄 滾 潑 瀚 煖 煥 熙 燎 燕 爨 爲 牀 牆 牖 牘 牝 犀 狄 狗 狷 猗 猴 猷 玲 琅 琢 琳 瑶 璞 瓊 瓏 瓢 甌 甎 甕 瘁 癉 癸 發 皁 皓 盂 盧 眈 眥 眦 睚 睛 瞋 瞻 磊 磋 磑 磬 礙 礪 禮 禹 秦 穽 竈 竭 竽 笙 筲 箕 篆 篪 篳 簇 簑 簞 簣 簪 籒 粱 糟 糠 糴 糶 紂 紊 絅 綦 綸 縟 繚 繫 繽 纛 羔 羲 翊 翦 翫 耆 肓 胖 胤 胥 脣 脯 膩 臂 臉 臥 舂 舒 舜 艱 艾 芒 芬 苞 苟 苡 茅 茵 茸 荊 荼 菽 萁 萼 葩 蒲 蒿 蓬 蓴 蕕 蕘 蕪 蕭 薏 薤 薪 薺 藍 蚓 蚤 蛆 蛉 蛟 蜀 蜍 蜒 蜚 蜻 蜿 蝸 螳 螻 螽 蟬 蟾 蠡 袍 袗 袱 裎 裘 裙 裳 褌 褶 襦 覓 覿 觥 觴 詔 誅 誥 誦 誨 諧 諷 謖 謨 譌 讒 豁 豕 豺 貂 貉 賁 賈 趙 趾 跂 跌 跎 跔 跖 跛 跫 跼 跿 蹄 蹉 蹊 蹐 蹶 躄 躅 躑 躡 躬 軻 輦 輾 轂 轅 轗 迹 逍 逾 遏 邇 邯 郢 鄂 鄒 鄰 鄲 醯 釐 釵 鈞 鈿 鉤 銖 銜 銷 鋒 鐺 鑠 鑪 閻 闔 闕 闢 阮 隗 隘 隴 雉 雕 霆 霍 霑 霓 霽 鞋 韈 韋 韜 韭 頸 顚 顱 飧 飫 饋 饑 馘 駟 駢 駭 騏 驤 驥 驪 髀 髥 鬟 鬻 魄 魏 魯 鮑 鮒 鰥 鱸 鳧 鳳 鴛 鴟 鵬 鵺 鶻 鷁 麕 麟 麤 黎 黔 黛 黜 黝 黥 鼈 齏

The first thing that should be apparent is that a handful are j1k kanji anyways which a handful I have learned and I know you have too so the actual number is less than 490 probably. Either way, provided you know the 400 something kanken1 base deck cards, you’ll get less than 1 new kanji every 4 yoji. Throw in phonetic components and that seems pretty doable in a reasonable timeframe. Of course, theres still the issue of kanji you already are familiar with being read in weird ways, but putting that aside.

These are the ones that show up in the base deck btw
``
然爛居言諛冪別剪剽嘲截月毫煢論跋邁雨鼎乖伏佚偃僭出剔勿化喘嗜噬夭套奢嫩嬌安定屈岌弛弱彷徳悃悉悍悶惑愁慳懐懦懼抉抛斂文春格梵検毀毒澆瀉炯燧犇状瑟疆眄眩眼石礫窈竿紆級羈美翹聊色菲藉藹蘊蛹蟄蟠蠹見角誣説諠謫謬贅輓輻進鄙鐘鑰門関頽顧飭駁駑駘骨髪鳥鹹一丁万下丐丱乎乞乱事亥仄仇仏仞伉余佶使侈俊修倚倥偬傭傷僕儷兌入冑冕刈列刪制力動勢匍匐匙千午卒印反叭叮号名吝吟吶告呑味呵呻咄咆咨咫哭哮唄唖唳問啖喇喊喚喨嗟器嚀嚠囃四圏園圧地坐埃域埴堤堰塞塵壅天夫夾奪委娜娶婀婚婢子孕孵宏宜害宸寐寥寵射尺屏峙島峻嶄嶮嶼巨巫布帑帛帷幔幣年底庖廃弁弄弊張彎彿往徨忙忸怙怩怪怱恃恐恤恬息悩情惜想慂慊慓慟慫憂憐憫懊懲懾懿戌戒戡戯戸扈才扞扼抃抒折拇拈拘捍掃掎推掬掻揄換揶搗撃撫撻擘擣擲攣放救斛斧断旌旒明昔暈曠曩曲書望朦朧末杞束杪枳桎梏棄棘楔楚楫檣欷歎歔歿殄毛気水沐河油泉法泛波注洋洟流浅涕涵淫渉湖滅滔滴漓漢漫漱潦潸澗澹濤瀑灌灑火灰灼炙烏烽焉煙煤煩熟燭燼爬爾牙犢狡猩瑕瑣瑰瓦甄甲甸界畿疽疾痕痙瘠瘢癇癘癰癲発白皙皿盈盥直眠眷着睥睨瞞瞼知矮硯礬社神禰秉称稷稼穡穢穫空窃窕窮竇站竦竹笞筆筮箝箭箱篋篩簫簷籀籌精紅細紲絆給絮綏綟綢綮網綽綾緑緩縹繆繋罔罵羅羞義羶羸羹翅翠耄耋耽聘聚聞聯聾肬肯背胡脛脩脱腕膂膺膾臚舌舐舞舟舳艟艨艫艶芥花苒英茗茣茫茱草荏莽菌菜萍萸落葬葱葷蒐蓄蓙蔕蕩薄薙藜虐虧虫蚌蛻蜑蝉蝴蝶蠱血衍街衢衣表袂袒裁裔裼褫褻襲覈覡覦覬解訥詐詞詠詢誄語誠諂談諒諡謗謹譁譎譴讐貪責貶贍赫赭走越足跚跣路踉踞蹂蹇蹈蹌蹙蹣躙身躯車軋軒軼輊輜輪輳輿轢辱近迫逝逼遁遊道遠遯邏郁酋酥釁重金鈍鈑鏃鑿長間閤閨閭閾闃闊闖阡阿陋陌陟除陬隙隧集雎雑離雲霖靄靆靉靡面鞆音頌頤頭頼顔願顫顰風飛餉養饌馥馮馳騁驍驚髦髫鬢鬧魅魑鳴鴃鴆鵲鶉鶴鶸鷙鷸鸞鹵鹸鹿麋麗黐黠黯黴鼇鼓齔齟齬龕

2 Likes

This marks the end of day one for me. I learned the first 200 words today over about 2.5 hours of study. There were some ones that were really tough to make mnemonics for, but funny enough some of the hardest ones just ended up being really easy because of how memorable they were. Like 鷸蚌 was one I had no idea what I could mnemonic would be, but then it was just so wack it was memorable. Overall, about 10% of the words were words I had already seen from novels, so that helped too.

To wrap things up I did a quiz at the end of the day and got 100/102. So like a 98%. Here is the results of that quiz if anyone wants to look at what words came up.

2 Likes

I have now finished all 447 words of the base deck. My head hurts a little bit since I did it in a day and a half, but it was fun. Now I just need to retain my knowledge. Favorite word was probably 社稷 with its cancerous reading of すめらおおもとお.

Will proabably not learn any new words today and at the start of tomorrow just to focus on review and then maybe start on the yojijukugo tomorrow evening.

1 Like

Well I guess that’s that. I had classes all day. Also doing the quizzes on my phone on the train sucks, unlike using apps.

I originally imagined doing a bunch on the phone, but 5 minutes of that this morning squashed that idea.

1 Like

Well, there’s still 2000 yojijukugo I’ve got left to go, so it’s not like I’m even a fifth of the way finished. Overall, the base deck wasn’t that bad I’d say. The last 50 went by pretty quick, but 300-350 was kinda cancer. Was cool seeing a lot of new kanji and forms of words. Like 慧眼 as 炯眼.

1 Like

I did 20 this morning. Probably wouldn’t anticipate doing many more than that in the evening, seeing as I barely absorbed the meaning for any of them, so really the number I’m “finished” with is like 5. Every new kanji requires a pretty extensive deep dive. So, you’ll finish by early next week, and I’ll finish some time in the summer maybe. Not that it matters, just isn’t much of a race.

I imagine the way we use the quizzes is pretty different. I add new items 1 or 2 at a time, and if there’s new kanji (which there almost always will be) I do the usual round of looking it up in all my various resources. I can’t imagine retaining it for long term without that.

This of course means also having to tell the server to do all these different quizzes which is one of the reasons it’s annoying on my phone, typing exclamation marks and parentheses all the time.

Yeah I only bothered to look up a handful of them. About half of them I knew from my books or the other decks. Other ones, I just went with it unless it looked familiar. I never know what half the kanji mean anyways and get it from meaning, so that’s just been a long term habit of mine. Even the reading I only learned whats in the word. Like when I learned 剔抉 and 抉剔 I had to “learn” another reading for 剔 because I didn’t know what came after the て and just that there was something.

Kinda makes sense why no one else would join though… I doubt there’s anyone else who randomly knows 1kyuu words but not the kanji (or I guess you’re saying you already knew them completely and they weren’t new to you at all, which… makes it less of a race as well).

I am going in expecting to learn everything from scratch. I think most other people would be too.

I think there’s a couple reasons for that lol

I guess it depends on your definition of knowing the kanji. But I think anyone who reads a lot of Weeb shit would know at least 50-100 of the words in that deck. I’d say I only knew somewhere in the lower part of that range. But either way that’s like 10%. Of course being familiar with a kanji in that 10% can help you out of it’s used again in another word, though. Like 跋扈 was one I knew from my books and both of those kanji showed up elsewhere iirc.

We can even it out with a race to see who gets all the achievements in Elden Ring first. Don’t worry, I only have 15% of them. :wink:

4 Likes

Can’t say I’ll ever play that game, so you might have me beat on that one

amimo#7154

I don’t only know the word 硯箱 but also own one. Are there extra points for this? :grin:

2 Likes

Got some more achievements last night.

2 Likes

Would it be more interesting if the race was me doing all the readings vs you doing all the elden ring achievements?

1 Like

You two doing that side by side would actually make for a pretty entertaining stream. :joy:

7 Likes

I’m not sure how hard it is to get all achievements in elden ring so it might be really lopsided. Maybe 50% would be better. Or maybe completing the game honestly. I think leebo said he was like 2/3 of the way done the other day.

Doing the first 100 yoji and they are kinda kicking my ass compared to the words, but I imagine the start is the hardest and the more I do the easier it will be.

1 Like