Any competitive individuals who wanna race me?

Depending on whether you save scum the endings or not, maybe 80-180 hrs or less.

Maybe if he played it in Japanese? Unless he’s already doing so, in which case, I got nothin

I was just jokingly suggesting something I already had a head start in. I would have better shot at the cross-competition though, lol. As @alo alluded to, I’m pretty sure you cannot get all achievements in one normal playthrough, which is where the discrepancy between me saying I’ve finished a lot of the game (once) and not having that many achievements comes from.

1 Like

What would even be a good equivalent in terms of time frame, then? Im not sure what all there is to do in elden ring. Is there something that would take between 2-4 weeks though? Since that would include golden week id say thats a good amount of time. Although on my end its really pretty dependent on how hard i get hit with the alzheimers stick since i may very well forget all the first stuff i learned and have to go back.

I’ve never actually gotten every achievement in a FromSoft game before, but yeah, if I did it it wouldn’t be for weeks.

how long till you finish the game you think?

I could see myself finishing my first playthrough next week.

a bit hayai, but that makes things more intense I guess. ill just keep you distracted with rocketleague and do my reading quizzes inbetwen games or something

1 Like

I haven’t even looked up what all the achievements are, because spoilers. I don’t think you need to worry now.

about what?

About me being hayai.

Oh no i meant finishing next week would be hayai is all. If I were to try to finish before you

1 Like

Have the readings of the first 100 down. Probably my favorite one today was 鷸蚌之争 because it reminded me of another yoji/exp i like, 漁夫之利. Its kinda a thing people use in gaming nowadays and a useful term. Also, turns out jisho has it even linked to that expression and i just never realized because I never checked jisho I guess.

Hardest one was probably 嫗伏孕鬻 but I think I got it down. The first two kanji use a reading I wasn’t expecting and 鬻 isn’t really guessable from its components, but tying it to 育 helped and the meaning makes sense and is easy to remember from the first and third kanji. The second one also makes sense when you realize its talking about animals, and often more specifically birds. Just took a bit of investigating to realize that everything made sense. In that way, yojijukugo are a lot easier to remember. Like theres usually literally a clear cut and unique story or idea behind it thats really easy to find and remember, so its easy to stop something from becoming a leech usually. Usually.

Other notable mentions go to 意識朦朧 for both being a freebie in terms of meaning and reading as well as accurately describing my mental state after memorizing all this crap.

2 Likes

@amimononohitsuji i invited you to the server and when you join just lmk and ill show you how to use the bot if you dont figure it out on your own before i can

1 Like

@Vanilla I gotta ask, how do you manage to learn so many readings so quickly? By learned do you just mean you’ve added it to a review deck? Or do you actually have these at “guru” or “burned” levels of memory already?

3 Likes

For which ones? The yoji or the base deck?

For the base deck, honestly I don’t know. I was kinda confused as hell myself how I was just remembering them. Maybe its a combination of the fact that they feel more unique and I have a good background of kanji at this point. Of the 3200 kanji or so that have been in my srs decks, theres usually at least one I can connect to a part of a new kanji to make its reading more memorable. Or just remember the whole thing as is. Phonetic components help quite a bit.

For yoji, they are pretty guessable comparatively. I just did the next 200 for the first time and got 53/100 just giving my first guess for them. There were some like 傀儡政府 which is just 傀儡+政府 and I have learned both words before in the past while reading, so the meaning and reading is very apparent. 人口に膾炙する becoming 膾炙人口 is another example where I can just take a phrase I know and basically have the yoji for free despite the order being flipped. Others, while I might not be familiar with any larger components, they can just gotten with a basic guess using the onyomis like 厭離穢土 or the components like 誨淫誨盗.

Before, I was reviewing all the words together, be it obvious, something I already knew, or something completely new and hard. But going forward, considering the time it takes to review yoji, ill probably make separate decks for the 50% or so thats obvious/known already and review those less often.

They definitely aren’t at burned levels yet, but I’d say a majority are at guru level probably. There are a handful of shoddy ones, but out of the 450 or whatever in the base deck, I’ve only gotten one wrong today after a couple hundred words. its only been a couple days though, so hard to say. I was considering making a video highlighting how I went through the base deck using the phonetic components and past kanji i learned to showcase the ease of learning new readings when you have a foundation, but its too late for that now! Overall, the whole thing is really just glorified onyomi practice for the most part.

EDIT: Just to check, I went ahead and did 50 questions from the first 100 I learned and still got em all right

There are a few shaky ones for sure, but for the most part theyre in there in my head to stay if I just review every now and then I think

4 Likes

(clears throat)

(reads thread)

Ah yes, I see…
Never mind!
But please do be careful, we must ever be vigilant for any shenanigans, or heaven forbid, tomfoolery!
-Sir Didymus

1 Like

Me: still shaky on words I’ve seen hundreds of times

Vanilla: almost perfectly learns 400 words in two days because he’s bored

@Vanilla Has anyone ever told you how scary it is that you can memorize words so quickly?

6 Likes

Well to be fair, I’m not memorizing the words entirely. Theres a good handful I dont know the meaning to, and a lot of yoji im not bothering to learn the meaning of unless its interesting. Like if it just refers to two chinese brothers, thats boring as shit. If it refers to a magic worm that goes around spitting sand on peoples shadows in order to make them get a fever and die tho, thats lit af. This is just a nicely curated environment to apply onyomi and phonetic component readings. usually. idk some words in the base deck I came up with the most bs way of remembering it and it just stuck.

My speed of learning words normally is nott much different from others at like 20 a day with 90%+ retention.

8 Likes

if I were anywhere near where you were at I would lol

hope you find someone though :slight_smile:

good reference

you’ve passed the anti - zoomer assessment battery (AZAB) and now you may enter normal society

2 Likes