Annoying Website Issue

they should load the item info along with the reading so it doesn’t need to be retrieved when clicked. maybe cache it locally since the reading will likely come up again tomorrow.

1 Like

I just went through a review. It looks like it loads the whole review queue at the start, and the meaning/reading info when you request it. To be honest, this is how I think it should be done; to load all the reading information, and all the meaning information for every review item would be a massive amount of data you might not even want to see. If anything, that would make load times far worse, especially if you have a large review queue.

i think they should at least cache the reading info locally upon hit if they’re really conscious about the amount of data transmitted. even cache it when you learn it for the first time because you definitely know they’re most likely going to see it again tomorrow.

either way, it seems like wanikani is gaining a lot more customers since it looks like it’s a traffic issue. maybe it’s time from them to start thinking about scaling the site. i’m sure they can afford a redis caching layer perhaps.

1 Like

Without going too much into it a lot of the performance issues stems from the current public API and how our data model is set up. Basically it hasn’t been scaling well. For a while we were tossing resources at it.

We roadmapped some quarterly goals to address this issue and started to work towards them since the beginning of the year. So far we have been meeting each one (although many are back-end stuff you all probably won’t notice immediately).

I’ve made a post earlier in the day as an aside on a different topic.

1 Like

Just wanted to point out… Some of the info already exists on the page, but it’s just not displayed. So, Ethan wrote a script to display that info immediately while the backend is trying to load the rest. Here’s the link to the script thread:

[Script] Quick Info

2 Likes

Thanks for the love rfindley, but I think kobayashi did a better job at taking my idea and polishing it up. [UserScript] WaniKani Quick Info - #10 by kobayashi

Ahh, thanks for the nudge. I remember using your script when it first came out, but stopped using it after I changed how I studied wrong answers. I think kobayashi’s must have come after that.

1 Like

The great rfindley used my script. :blush:

lol… I’m just some guy that happens to love programming.
But I guess I know what you mean. I’m glad when people find my scripts useful. :slight_smile:

1 Like

One of these days I’m going to have to learn Web programming. I’m a programmer, but have very little understanding of Web pages and JavaScript and CSS and am in awe of what you guys accomplish :slight_smile:

That’s probably because you rarely get anything incorrect. :stuck_out_tongue::joy:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.