Anki core 2000

So I just downloaded this thing:

Japanese Core 2000 Step 01 Listening Sentence Vocab + Images

I reseted the progress, and when I started studying the deck, It began with complete sentences. I can understand next to nothing about those sentences, is that the meaning of “core”? So am I supposed to hit “again” button 20 times in a row to remember one whole sentence, and its meaning? I though It’ss more like WK, and it show you words/kanjis, and you have to remember those…

You shouldn’t need to reset any progress, they shouldn’t of been uploaded with any progress intact.

From memory, it only shows you one ‘core word’ for most sentences and then the sentence it correlates to afterwards. You’ll still need to pick out and translate the other 3/4 of each sentence, so have fun.

I’m using iknow (former smart.fm), which is the source where those sentences came from originally. I just downloaded the deck and took a look though.

I think there is always one or two words on sentence cards that you are supposed to learn. I think they are printed in a thicker font and there’s also the translation given for them seperately beneath (though beware of verbs, they are often conjugated in the sentences and won’t be so down there)

The sentences aren’t really building on each other, so some words will be contained in early sentences that you will only learn later on in the core decks. I think it won’t hurt to make you familiar with them early on (read the sentence translation, figure out the things you didn’t know and so on). On iknow you are always only asked to fill in or translate only one of those specifically marked words, so I guess the idea of the deck is to handle that roughly the same. If there are other words you don’t fully get, I’d read the sentence translation and try to figure them out, but I wouldn’t mark the cards as wrong. But that’s only my idea of it :slight_smile: And I’m not sure how I would do that for the listening cards.
But I guess in the end it comes down to individual choice how you handle that.

With a similar deck, I actually split the sentence cards out and put them in a separate deck.

When I have spare time I go through them and try to read as much as I can. If I can read the whole sentence, I’ll mark it as easy, otherwise I hit hard so it will show up soon.

So basically, easiest thing might be just to mark all sentences as very good, and in no time those just wont come to be reviewed. I really don’t see point in learning whole sentences just for sake of learning them, if you don’t know individual words in the sentence.

So basically, easiest thing might be just to mark all sentences as very good, and in no time those just wont come to be reviewed. I really don’t see point in learning whole sentences just for sake of learning them, if you don’t know individual words in the sentence.

I don’t think it’s going to be a effective tool at your current level. Core 2000 is primarily used by those who’ve finished RTK and know all joyo kanji. 

minapamina said... So basically, easiest thing might be just to mark all sentences as very good, and in no time those just wont come to be reviewed. I really don't see point in learning whole sentences just for sake of learning them, if you don't know individual words in the sentence.
 You're better off just not using it at all then. As I keep reiterating - find vocabulary from your own study materials (even the genki decks, if you're using that) or from any form of light reading, and create your own cards with those, and sentences as you see fit. Randomly learning a vocab list for 1/4 of a set of sentences is pointless. And you're better off suspending cards like that than trying to make them go further ahead in the SRS queue.

Ok, sounds atleast some what reasonable. Might give a Genki dexk try, if there is one ^^. Reason for dloading Ansi were people claiming WK won’t teach enough “everyday words”. As I’m just level 4, I can’t know that, so decided to give Anki a try. As I posted somewhere else, my goal is to learn enough japanese in 1 year to be comfortable in Japan for another year as exchange student.

Give this a shot as well: https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/3355859590

If you would like some more Anki deck options I have been putting my collection in this thread. It includes a breakdown of the Core 6k. 
→ [Some Supplemental Material]