Anime transcripts (not subtitles) in Japanese?

But I’m not seeing any of that there - I’m only seeing videos?

That’s my point…

I don’t understand why the animelon dude decided to put full series on the website. Maybe if he just had a few episodes from each series he’d have stronger grounds for claiming it’s only for educational use.

As it is, since they can’t generate any money from the site and are getting takedown notices, I don’t think it’s going to be around long. Which is frustrating because it was a good idea.

1 Like

According to the blog they’re trying to switch to non-profit/not-for-profit so that they can keep the series up and everything. They also mentioned something about looking into some kind of partnership with Crunchyroll, but that post was before the one about going non-profit. Soooooooooo… I dunno.

Going non-profit doesn’t automatically make it legal. It does mean they have to pay to host all the content out of pocket though. :confused:

It’d be awesome if Crunchyroll had Japanese transcripts Animelon style though.

I agree, some cooperation between the two would be pretty swell.

Hehe, more paid subscriptions to learn Japanese.
WaniKani for Kanji.
CrunchyRoll for Japanese Subs/Anime language studies.
Etoeto for Grammar.
JapanesePod for …?

I realise that I watch the subs than pay attention to the anime in the end when there’s Japanese subs lol.

1 Like

Netflix has a bunch of seasons of Terrace House up, all with an option to view the subtitles in Japanese. They can talk pretty quick so it might fly right over your head but it’s all pretty authentic japanese, doesn’t get hammed up like it can in anime (the show hosts are even less hammy than most Japanese talk show hosts, imo…though they can still ham it up).

vim

6 Likes

That’s something that has been requested a lot and wouldn’t be hard to implement. Even Netflix has the ability to switch to Japanese subtitles. It’d be cool if Crunchyroll did listen to their users at all. I just cancelled my premium membership I had for many years. Fuck that shit.

1 Like

Gah, yeah, Crunchyroll gets on my nerves sometimes in terms of service. Their videos frequently buffer every 30 seconds or just don’t load at all for me, especially on their Roku app, and I’d blame my connection but at those times I can stream things from Netflix or anything else without any trouble. Manga service is awful too, good thing that’s not what they’re known for.

It’s premium or bust for me though since I’m in Canada.

I love Terrace House. I’ve tried using the Japanese subs for the opening a couple of times (and only the opening)… because they fly by so fast!
Now that I’ve seen all of it (until Aloha State Part 2 comes out) I might try re-watching Boys and Girls in the City with Japanese Subs and listening only - no English… but I’ll probably leave that for the summer when there’s less new TV to watch.

1 Like

It's comments like yours and @mks and some others at Crunchyroll's own forums that make me glad I'm not paying for it. Do you not have the (often annoying) option of watching with commercials on your Roku app? I do that (for some things) on my PS3. However, since a lot of series got turned into Premium Only in Canada, that's a lot harder. I mostly rely on the kindness of that certain thread in the Campfire section, and two specific friends sending passes my way, so I can binge for a weekend here or there instead.

Yeah, watching it once in English to have an idea of what is going on is not at all a bad idea. There have been a couple times where I have hit rewind and changed subtitle tracks to figure something out.

1 Like

I loved that いくじなし omurice, how about you? XD

OMG i just watched that episode the other night and i was dying, i couldn’t believe it

I didn’t care for Minori at the beginning but she is definitely one of the best people in the house atm

I don’t know if you can watch non-premium stuff on the Roku since I’ve never logged out :sweat_smile: I used to have a free account years ago, but I couldn’t go back after going ad-free.

I guess I should say I still think premium is worth it. I think it’s a fair price for having access to a huge catalogue and so many simulcasts, especially for me since I’m not into buying physical anime (or pirating it). They do have problems (and I like to bitch about them), but then so do other services. I say Netflix is more reliable, but then their selection sucks in Canada.

1 Like

Yep. A truer statement about Netflix has not been spoken for some time.
I do enjoy being ad-free… and that is why I’ve mostly gone for the odd weekend binge with a 48-hour pass lately over watching things with commercials… (especially when it’s the same 3 commercials for hours and hours of watching stuff… sometimes the same 3 in a row all at once)… but I will do that at times if I’m really in the mood for something (that’s available). And I’ve also discovered that Funimation Now (also on my PS3) lets me watch stuff for free no problems at all. I think my account is so old or something… I’m not going to question it. I finally saw Noragami Aragoto that way, recently-ish.

If I had a disposable income, I might go for it, but I don’t feel like I watch enough anyway to really make it worth it even if I did (especially with these complaints to consider also).

Ah, Funimation. Last I checked none of their new apps worked for me, nor the queue feature, which as far as I could tell was the only useful new feature of their new service :') I’m glad it’s working for someone.

But yeah, everyone has to draw a line for monthly fees somewhere. I don’t drink coffee which seems to be what people compare the price of subscriptions to, so I figure I should be able to afford one haha.

Hey guys, I’m the creator of Animelon.

Firstly I must say it’s great to see a website you created get talked about =)

Regarding the buffering issue we’ve fixed that! So animelon’s videos should be fast globally.

I’ve had a lot of requests of users to download subtitles but I’m not exactly able to pinpoint why exactly that is needed instead of just using the website?

Can someone please tell me what is missing from Animelon that the user would prefer to go through the tedious process of downloading all the videos and syncing all the subtitles themselves and dragging words into dictionaries etc?

Also if you have used animelon recently just anything that you would like improved?

Much appreciated!

2 Likes

@LarsFlorian,
I would guess people here are wanting to download transcripts for offline language study and reading practice, independent of the video. Then, when they are more familiar with the transcript, it’s easier to follow along in realtime for reading and/or listening practice.

6 Likes