Amazing experience!

Hey guys, since I stumbled across some topic about 0/0 reviews and lessons, I try really hard to do it every day. I do it for the past two weeks and I really feel that my memory is much better! I used to do like 50 reviews for a day (mainly because I was lazy, I had the time for more but I found plenty of excuses) and maybe 10 lessons. But now? now I do all the reviews and lessons that I have for each day, and my corrections percents has raised!
I feel that it is amazing for me, I also use satori reader, I read one chapter per day, and I feel like my japanese is improving so much more than it use to.
Just wanted to share it with you, you could always change how you study, it never too late, Iā€™m on wanikani for 3 years and I reached level 13, but now I know Iā€™ll level up much faster!

17 Likes

I started doing all my reviews on my second start-over here too. It is way helpful.
I especially think it is helpful to see new apprentice items as frequently as possible. You want to catch them just as you are about to forget them. That way you get the forgetting, and memorizing, done when they are still ā€œbabyā€ items.

It is great to have these little breakthroughs!

1 Like

Doing all your reviews in a timely manner is the most important part of SRS learning. Skipping a day on master item reviews doesnā€™t really matter at all, but skipping a day on apprentice item reviews will crash your accuracy really hard.

IMO, you should never do any lessons whatsoever if your review count is not 0. If you canā€™t even bother to do your current reviews, donā€™t add more material on top that youā€™ll just lazily go through anyway, youā€™re already going too fast as it is.

Iā€™m surprised youā€™d still do lessons if you feel too lazy to do reviews though. A lesson is like three times more work than a review and they take forever.

1 Like

@arvivlx2
Cool that you found new motivation!
I hear the first time about satori reader. It looks really great. What are your experiences? Do you use the free or the pro version? If you use the free one, how good are the funktions and how much content is implied?

Iā€™m really sad, that it feels like this for you. I personally love the vocab lessons, because I just cover the meanig and try to guess the meaning and reading from the kanji. This is a really funny game and you understand way better, how vocabs are built.

~T :lion:

Learning languages really does have amazing effects on your brain and memory. :smiley:

3 Likes

Hey, Iā€™m using the pro version, it really pays off for me, I feel like Iā€™m reading and understanding real japanese, itā€™s so great, worths it. I use it both on the pc and smartphone.
They really explain small grammer notes and stuffs, and you can see the sentences translations., so it helps to understand how the japanese sentences are constructed.
As for the lessons, I agree with you, I like them much more than the reviews!

1 Like

Maybe I went a bit overboard with ā€œthey take foreverā€:sweat_smile:

What I find involve a lot of work are the Kanji lessons. They typically involve figuring out two new mnemonics (or taking a risk and deciding to skip them) and a search on Jisho to see if I can link them to vocab I happen to know. Iā€™m never super confident Iā€™ll remember them. Compared to the 5 seconds needed to answer a review card, Iā€™d say the lessons take much more effort.

1 Like

Yeah, kanji lessons are the hardest bit of WK, thats right. But if you compare it with learning kanji without WK, it is just a joke :smiley:

Be careful with this.

Look at it from an economical side (this is how Iā€™m doing it):

• You wonā€™t level up until the second wave of kanji is guruā€™d, which youā€™ll get after you guruā€™d the radicals of the level.
  • Youā€™ll get kanji and vocab the same day you get those radicals.
  • If you do the radicals first in one set, then your level pace will be stable.
  • For the kanji, you now have 3.5 days. For the vocab, 1 week.

The reason Iā€™m telling you this is, itā€™s easier to deal with a smooth flow every day, than with spikes and lows that occur naturally when you do all your lessons in one go.
Doing them all is fine, but these spikes will go up over time, when older material comes back for review, and instead of, say, a stable 100 each day, youā€™ll have 250 at once, then nothing the next day, which can get a bit exhilarating.

Reviews need to be done in one go.
The vocab you get after level up is based on the kanji of the level before, and it should be easy.
The order in which Iā€™d do things is:

• Radicals on day 1
  • Vocab on day 1, a few hours later
  • Kanji on day 2

The reason for this is, the vocab will become gradually harder if you let it sit, because your memory isnā€™t fresh anymore. Doing it ASAP helps solidifying the past level.
By doing the radicals first you ensure stable progress.
With 3.5 days to do the first batch of kanji, these have time and can be done last.

For the second batch, Iā€™d do the kanji first, then the vocab after - again, this vocab will be easy as long as itā€™s fresh, but now youā€™ll have less new kanji to deal with (wave 1 has more), so itā€™s rather easy to deal with.

2 Likes

@arvivlx2
Thank you very much for the hint to Satori Reader! I was just about to start with shadowing, because my listening comprehension sucks. Instead I wanted to use News in Slow Japanese, but I think Satori Reader is even better for the beginning. And I love the high quality voice actings!

~T :lion:

I checked this news in japanese, at its looks kinda hard, too hard for me. Maybe Iā€™ll listen to it after some time with satori reader

Thanks for this info!

1 Like

I just speed through the lessons and get a couple new kanji wrong a lot :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.