Am I on the right track with my plan?

I’m not quite sure what you mean. There’s no actual keyboard input for any of LingoDeer’s lessons.

Also, while you’re in a lesson, click the gear icon on the top right and it will give you a bunch of language display options. You can and should turn off romaji here, at your stage probably switching it to “Japanese + Hiragana” would be best. This setting will carry over to all other lessons.

Hmmm, in the nationality lesson in Japanese 1, it asks you to type out phrases like “I am American” using the kana and kanji that you learned prior in the lesson, hence the need to use a keyboard that allows you to access all Kana and can auto-correct to the appropriate kanji based on Kana inputs.

Maybe this is a new feature? I am honestly not sure and wish I could provide a screenshot or something for context.

Good plan! Once you get a bit better at basic grammar and kanji, I suggest you try and pick up some graded readers or beginners’ manga to practice reading. It’s easier to reinforce vocabulary when you see it in the wild. Good luck! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure there is an option at the bottom of the screen allowing you to switch to a word bank instead of Japanese keyboard.

1 Like

I will definitely check that!

Ended up getting a Japanese keyboard app anyway so I can text my sister who is also learning in Japanese, and one hopefully switch our conversations to 100% Japanese!

2 Likes

I’ve learned multiple languages in the past and I can confidently say that textbooks are worth their weight in gold for grammar.
Some have already suggested Genki I and II but I would like to +1 that suggestion.

2 Likes

Simeji is a popular Android phone keyboard. I use it as my default one, as you can toggle between English and Japanese on-the-fly. It also offers both qwerty and swipe keyboards for Japanese, and loads of other features/customisation.

1 Like

Thank you for the info! I will look into it, I ended up just grabbing the highest rated one haha :slight_smile:

Good idea, thanks! Do you have any recommended places online that I could find these articles and beginner manga (free or paid)?

1 Like

A lot of people use NHK Web News Easy and there are some nice free stories for beginners here. Here’s a full list of different resources you can use for reading, grammar, listening, and more.
I recently bought graded readers from White Rabbit Express. I’m really enjoying them, although they are kind of pricey, there are lots of free alternatives online.
readers

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.