Alternate Readings for Vocabulary 臭い?

This is an incorrect assessment of my conclusion. I’m not pretending that kanji and words are the same thing, and I’m not talking only about kanji in my conclusion, either. Clearly, I need to expound upon the conclusion portion of what I wrote.

Yes, the post looks like I’m talking about “kanji only”, but I’m not. Now, since it seems that somehow this isn’t so clear, even though the shortcuts I took are common, I’ll write my conclusion here, inserting in brackets where I’m thinking of words and where I’m thinking of kanji. But, just be warned, it makes each sentence much longer. (That is why I took the shortcut in the first place.)

Thus, my opinion is that it’s worth adding [a word, including the reading for said word] if and only if it’s a common reading [for said word, and kanji used in said word] without furigana [that is, that appears often without furigana]. Otherwise, if it’s unusual to come across a kanji [or word with said kanji] with a specific reading, the effort might not be worth it.

This isn’t meant to pretend that kanji and words are the same thing. It’s only meant to take a shortcut that the opinion I hold applies to both equally.

This would make sense to me, based on what I’ve been trying to explain in my posts.

1 Like

This is a valid point! I’ll let our content team know about this and see if we’d like to add the alternative reading, add it to the shake list, or add a note to the subject page. Thanks!

6 Likes

Probably shouldn’t add it as an accepted alternate reading since it’s not valid for the い-adjective, but the shake list would certainly be nice!

3 Likes

What’s interesting is that occasionally they will list multiple readings for a word. 角 is a particularly notable case since it has two different readings with different meanings listed (kaku/kado). So I was shocked when I learned that it has yet another common reading/meaning (つの/antler) which isn’t on WK at all. That’s not the only example either.

4 Likes

Actually, this thread doesn’t make it clear - doesn’t mention “suffix-ness” in addition to being an adjective, so in any case, knowing grammar or implied vocabularies may help.

This was what I found. (Though, due to my poor Japanese, I failed to understand it.) - 臭いの読み方と意味、「くさい」と「におい」正しいのは?

まず臭い(におい)は「嗅覚(きゅうかく)を刺激する、不快なくさみ。悪臭のこと/いかにもそのような感じ・気配のこと」の意味として用いられています。

臭いを用いた例文としては、「犯罪の臭(にお)いがする」や、「ケチ臭(くさ)いことをしないで欲しい」のような使い方で用いられています。

前者の例文は「いかにもそのような感じ・気配のこと」の意味で、後者の例文は「上にくる語の意を強める」の意味で使用しています。

I’ll just copy from the other thread to shortcut the understanding.

I guess it would be along the line of

• Good smell (adj.)
    • (あま)い, (こう)ばしい, (かんば)しい
  • Not sure about alternatives for being a good smell suffix, unless an example exists.

大辞泉(だいじせん) didn’t put in POS for (にお) (though, all definitions do feel like a noun, just as said on Jisho), but made it exactly clear for (くさ)い [形][接尾]

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.