Kanji Reading vs Vocabulary Reading

I’m pretty new here, only on level two. I’m becoming increasingly frustrated. I have no idea how I’m supposed to tell the difference between the kanji reading and the vocabulary reading. It seems like no sooner do I have one memorized then the system starts asking me for something new. I never know which one I’m supposed to enter. I’m often entering the wrong one and then I’m back to the beginning.

I need help!

When WaniKani wants the kanji reading, the review box will be pink. When it wants vocab reading, the review box will be blue purple (apparently I’m colorblind). Note that WaniKani will always teach what they think is the most common reading for every kanji, and the number of vocab words they use with the kanji should reflect that.

If you’re frustrated with trying to figure out which reading to use for which vocab word, this is a common headache among Japanese learners. You can take a look at Tofugu’s article on On’yomi and Kun’yomi, which might help you gain a better intuition of when to use which.

The Getting Started guide might prove helpful to you as well.

4 Likes

I thought it was blue as well :face_with_raised_eyebrow: (and yes, I’m color blind as well!)