Advice on how to use the Try! Book Series

So I’ve spent the last 3 weeks using the So-Motame books for N4 prep and found the grammar book to be just complete garbage. So I got the Try! books, but I do like So-Motame’s daily format. How should I be using Try in a similar fashion? Should I finish one grammar point a day? One part of a chapter a day (basically finishing the book in 20 days)?

If anyone has experience with these books and have any advice, please let me know.

2 Likes

Since it’s been 24h and no one seemed to answer your question I’m gonna make a humble suggestion:

The Sou matome structure is built around doing 2 pages each day, and revision on the 7th day, but with a grammar book is more about how many hours can you put each day to do all the work. Can you do a whole chapter in a week? Are you planning on doing all the exercises? It’s up to you!

To give you an example, Genki suggests about 9 hours for each chapter, which might seem like a lot, but that is including all the exercises and workbook, grammar, listening, reading and writing. I would think that this is a good frame of reference, 1h of study everyday, and you could probably finish each TRY! chapter in about a week or so.

1 Like

9 hours per unit for Genki? I didn’t know that. I’ve been trying to improve my reading comprehension skills. Would Sou matome help me with that?

I tend to do better through repetition and just getting through the book and doing the exercises. I’m planning to make multiple passes in the book, so when I say a chapter a day, I don’t mean like “one and done with it.” I have a hard time just sitting on a single chapter if I have done the exercises and usually desire to just move on if I feel confident I can.

I am working out a schedule where I have 3.5 hours of study time a day.

Morning:

• Memrise Flashcards for N4 vocab (~30 min)
  • One section of Try! (30 min)
  • WaniKani (10-30 min)

Lunch:

• So Matome N4 (10-20 min)

Evening:

• Memrise Flashcards for N4 vocab (~30 min)
  • One section of Try! + Quiz (40 min)
  • WaniKani (10-30 min)
1 Like

Reading comprehension… maybe… but I’d recommend Shinkanzen Master series for Reading Comprehension.

1 Like

That is the suggested time for each chapter that’s listed on their website. Or about 200h of studying for the whole book. Of course, if you’re studying by yourself your time will probably be different, specially since you won’t need to learn the kanji again.

The Sou Matome N4 has a section on reading comprehension that has texts on the style of the jlpt, but if you really wanna practice just the reading, then the Shin Kanzen Master might be better since it has a whole book on reading. I think the Sou Matome is more like a general review for the jlpt.

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice. Will give them a look.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.