AddOn Idea: "You know that" highlighter

Hi, I’m not really good in programming (anymore, I used to hack Jump-and-runs in Basic 20 years ago), especially for Addons or Greasemonkey-Scripts.
But I’d love to see an Addon that helps me recognising the Kanji I already learned with WK by highlighting them in any Website text. That way I see: “OK, you should know this and be able to read it.” Or,  maybe it would be even better to shade out the Kanji I don’t know yet (make them lighter or grey-isher), because Rikaichan will still be able to read them…
I guess it could be done quite simply - but I just haven’t the knowhow nor the time. So, just an idea for bored hackers out there who want to play with the API…

For Chrome there is already an extension, which does something like that:
https://github.com/nigelkerr/character-reminder

and this seems to work the other way around:
/t/Wanikanify-A-Google-Chrome-Extension/1000/1

just look around the chats here, pretty nice projects all around.

Although it would be nice to have a Firefox equivalent to character-reminder.

…where has that thread disappeared to, anyway?

Character reminder is great but I stopped using it once it stopped highlighting automatically. Clicking, ain’t nobody got time for that :slight_smile:

I installed it just now, but the icon is not appearing in the browser bar and no kanji are highlighted (at least the ones I put in manually, since I am still only at the radicals). I am running the latest Chrome 26.something…I guess this is what is noted on the Github page “chrome 24 changed a bit about message passing, keeping the kanji from…

Thanks for all these recommandations, i’ll try the character reminder - although I prefer using firefox…
And, yes, this forum needs a search (did I already mention that someplace else?)

I should note that, although it doesn’t work along with your Wanikani account (and isn’t very smart overall), Kanjilish serves a similar purpose to Wanikanify and works in Firefox.
 http://kanjilish.mozdev.org/

The character reminder started to work all of a sudden, though the icon will only be put in the address bar if it finds kanji on the page.

Satoshi said... Character reminder is great but I stopped using it once it stopped highlighting automatically. Clicking, ain't nobody got time for that :)
 Hi, if you need it to highlight automatically, I can tell you how to do it. Only one line of code needs to be changed.

Asimoved said...
Satoshi said... Character reminder is great but I stopped using it once it stopped highlighting automatically. Clicking, ain't nobody got time for that :)
 Hi, if you need it to highlight automatically, I can tell you how to do it. Only one line of code needs to be changed.
 Really? Please tell me how to change it.

An extension for Firefox would be great.

Satoshi said...
Asimoved said...
 Really? Please tell me how to change it.
 Ok, here is what I did, I hope it works for you!

Go to the folder where you downloaded the character reminder extension for chrome (I jus had it on my desktop).
There should be a content.js file in the character-reminder folder. Open this file with a text editor (preferrably with something more advanced, like notepad++, because it will arrange the code nicely; the regular notepad does not do this.)

The last function should be around line 100 (an if statement, my version has: "if ( document.body.innerText.match(/[\u3400-\u9FBF]/) ) {"

I added a new line after line 110 (in my version: "110: kanjiclumpregexp = new RegExp("["+kanji+"]+");" ).so after this line I added this code: toggleHighlightKanji()

Save the file.

Go back to Chrome and open the extensions page (Options -> Tools -> Extensions). Look for the character reminder extension and click on Reload (or just press Ctrl+R). This should reload the modified code and now if you load a website it should highlight the kanji automatically.

I hope this works for you, please let me know of the outcome. If it does not work or you need help we can hook up on Skype or Teamviewer. :)

Thank you, I got it to work :slight_smile:

(edit: woops, ignore this - sorry for the bump)

Stuart444 said... (edit: woops, ignore this - sorry for the bump)
 Thank you for the bump.