Add-on Suggestion: Wanikani Kanji/Vocab highlighter

There was a similar add-on to this a while back that you needed to install manually (if people remember it - it’s the only add-on I can remember where we had to dl it and then add it in developer mode on the extensions menu)

So the suggestion is to make a similar add-on but have it on either the google play store or as a tampermonkey script (both of which makes it easily updated).

The add-on would either take your Kanji (or your Vocab if it’s possible) and highlight all instances of those Kanji/Vocab on a webpage (with a toggle button to turn it off and on of course).

Why this may be a good add-on for some people: It gives you an ‘at a glance’ view of how much of a webpage you may be able to read assuming you know the basics of Japanese grammar.

Maybe also have a toggle so you can highlight ALL the Kanji you have learned or highlight all the Vocab you have learned (since there may be some Kanji you know on a page but in a different word than what you have in your vocab list).

What do you guys think? Useless or useful? At the very least, it may make some people happy as they see the JP pages grow with more colour as they learn more Kanji on here. XD.

1 Like

+1

Stuart444 said...What do you guys think? Useless or useful? At the very least, it may make some people happy as they see the JP pages grow with more colour as they learn more Kanji on here. XD.
 I know I'll definitely be happy. 

That’s actually  a really awesome idea! It’d be a great way to highlight your progress!

Stuart444 said... There was a similar add-on to this a while back that you needed to install manually (if people remember it - it's the only add-on I can remember where we had to dl it and then add it in developer mode on the extensions menu)

So the suggestion is to make a similar add-on but have it on either the google play store or as a tampermonkey script (both of which makes it easily updated).

Since there's already an add-on that works quite well, it would make more sense to port the original javascript code rather than making a new one from scratch. At a quick glance, I don't see any contact info for the developer but I'm guessing if he made the source code publicly available then he'd be okay with it?

Here's a link to the original thread: /t/Yet-another-Chrome-Extension/1022/1
And here's the code: https://github.com/nigelkerr/character-reminder

(Off Topic: It'd be nice to have a way to send private messages through the forum.)

SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC EDIT:
Firefox also has a general vocabulary highlighter add-on. Kludgey for what you're talking about, but it's something to play with: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/vocabulary-highlighter/

+1

+1!