About burned items / Burned Reviews... other options besides current API?

I’m not a fan of the current Burn Reviews api…

Is there anyway to idk, download your burned items and turn them into an Anki deck or something?

I know WaniKani staff has a way to unburn all your burned items, so there must be something tracking the total of your burns, right? So some sort of download or app or website or something should be possible, right? :confused:

I don’t know if this works, but…

1 Like

Oh, and there’s this one. Again, no idea if it works.

1 Like

Well that was really difficult for me to understand and follow. Unfortunately I came up with an error.

"An error occurred in an add-on.
Please post on the add-on forum:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\Sunshine-San\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons\wkcrab.py”, line 90, in accept
wkcrab(self.api_key.text(), deck_id)
File “C:\Users\Sunshine-San\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons\wkcrab.py”, line 220, in wkcrab
radical_img_download(i.images)
File “C:\Users\Sunshine-San\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons\wkcrab.py”, line 177, in radical_img_download
urlretrieve(url, path.join(d, fname))
File “urllib.py”, line 93, in urlretrieve
File “urllib.py”, line 239, in retrieve
File “urllib.py”, line 207, in open
File “urllib.py”, line 436, in open_https
File “httplib.py”, line 954, in endheaders
File “httplib.py”, line 814, in _send_output
File “aqt\sync.py”, line 441, in _incrementalSend
File “httplib.py”, line 1161, in connect
File “ssl.py”, line 381, in wrap_socket
File “ssl.py”, line 143, in init
File “ssl.py”, line 305, in do_handshake
IOError: [Errno socket error] [Errno 1] _ssl.c:504: error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure"

Oop. Nevermind. Looks like it’s working now? I’m not 100% familiar with Anki, but so far so good on the two decks I have now (conjugations and burns). Thanks!

It works and is being maintained by yours truly :slight_smile:
I prioritise bug fixes but I also try and add features when I get the time.

2 Likes

There’s also https://wanikanitoanki.com

2 Likes

Liking out of appreciation, this probably isn’t something I’d use until higher levels like 50 - 60 when much is out of my head or burned or what have you.

1. Do you know if it’s in WaniKani style? Idk how to do that and find Anki a little confusing (for now).
  2. Do you know if it includes your synonyms? 'Cause if not, idk if I’d use it. Manually adding a bajillion synonyms again does not sound fun…

Thanks for sharing, though!

Huh. Well y’know, I think only the original was included in the pinned mega list of APIs and Third Party Apps. If I’m right, you should let Shotty know so they can update that (and include the reason why). (Shotgunlagoon) I won’t @ them 'cause I could be wrong. I don’t? think yours was the one I downloaded, so I’ll give it a shot. Even if it were to have been, thanks! <3

I know, I’ve mentioned it to them before and they’ve still not updated it. That said, maybe now the forum software has been improved I’ll try messaging again :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have been starting to resurrect burned kanji one level at a time. I’m up to level 4. It hasn’t seemed to add much to my workload and so far the ones I’ve resurrected have managed to travel up to guru pretty quickly. After all, to return a card to burned only requires you to answer the item something like 8 consecutive times correctly. The previously burned kanji reviews flash by very quickly - and the ones that don’t probably should be reviewed more stringently anyway. (Embarrassingly, there was one pesky level 4 kanji I had not yet burned!)

I started doing this when I crossed 5000 burned items - I almost wished I had done this sooner. My current strategy is to try and hover around roughly 5000 burned items, so as I burn, I’ll resurrect a new level’s kanji. I might even dip deeper into the burn pool depending on how this goes since my burns tend to happen quite slowly at this point.

I’m still playing with this - it is a bit of an experiment in trying to keep my workload in check. Maybe as I guru a resurrected level, I’ll resurrect a new level. The big thing I’m still fighting is leeches - I’ve only just started to take lessons in level 51 after some time off and I’m still fighting getting queues down. I’ve got a logical mind, not a mind for memorizing, so it is a big of a fight!

Another goal is to keep things within WK’s SRS system and avoid Anki at all costs. I might have mentioned my disdain for Anki two or three (hundred) times. The SRS system here is the best I’ve seen, but there are still a few improvements I’d like to see such as a more rich feature set for burned reviews.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know I wasn’t a big fan of Anki in the past. In fact if the Conjugation anki deck was turned into a Memrise course, I might like that better? There probably are conjugation courses already, but I don’t know if they’d be as good or not. (And I can practice conjugation on that one WK conjugation site I have bookmarked, but it’s not the same as using SRS, y’know?)

Anyway, re: burned items, when I first resubscribed to WK after a year at the beginning of this month, I went through levels 1 - 19 and went through every kanji, hiding the pronunciation and meanings, and if I didn’t recognize it well enough, I unburned it.

But the thing is, I probably really need to do this with the vocabulary I’ve burned, too. I won’t unburn things I know well.

I might need to unburn some radicals too just as a refresher… I might’ve done a few, but I haven’t really gone through them. For some it’s important, for others, not as much.

I know a couple people emailed WK and asked them to resurrect all of their burned items, but that is definitely not for me.

I really really wish this wasn’t necessary and wanikani had an option to disable the ‘burn’ thing. There should just be an option to have enlightened items to be reviewed at increasingly longer intervals when reviews are correct, and more frequently when they are incorrect. This way the workload would decline but without risking forgetting stuff that we haven’t reviewed in ages. This would prevent people from having to do a lot of extra work by unburning items manually (not to mention the fact that in this way they go all the way down to apprentice 1, which is not generally necessary and needlessly adds workload) or even worse reset wanikani to level 1.

2 Likes

I am a bit surprised that there is really no way to properly work with burned items, especially seeing how WaniKani is amazing in many other aspects. But now items just go to burned section… to die basically and be forgotten.

1 Like

I agree, it is indeed very odd to say the least :-/

1 Like