:: Abandoned Project :: Userscript: Meaning and Reading entered together

EDIT: Nov 02 2015.

I have abandoned this script as potentially being a bad idea.

1 Like

EDIT: Nov 02 2015 Abandon ship!!! I mean abandoneded project.

EDIT: Nov 02 2015 Abandoned project.

I think this is an amazing idea! Please keep up the good work, I would like to use this when it’s ready.
I think you should however include the option to write the reading first, since it’s, for me, the most natural way. In my mind, the reading always pops up first, then after thinking about it, i get the meaning lol. 

I don’t know about this, but sorting the review material to always have the meaning and reading, one after  the other, should be easy.

Void said... I don't know about this, but sorting the review material to always have the meaning and reading, one after  the other, should be easy.
 This already exists:
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/4064-wanikani-review-order-srs/code

This is great.  I was thinking about something like this the other day, but what I really want is the ability to enter all the readings for those kanji that have multiple readings.

So for example, the ‘name’ kanji (名) would have two separate on’yomi fields, and I’d be required to provide both めい and みょう before having it marked correct.

(It probably wouldn’t work well for vocabulary or for multiple meanings… just for kanji readings.)

MarioRash said... I think this is an amazing idea! Please keep up the good work, I would like to use this when it's ready.
I think you should however include the option to write the reading first, since it's, for me, the most natural way. In my mind, the reading always pops up first, then after thinking about it, i get the meaning lol. 

Good idea. If I can actually get this functioning in any way I will include an option to choose which way round the fields are.

Void said... I don't know about this, but sorting the review material to always have the meaning and reading, one after  the other, should be easy.

Kaimera said...
 This already exists:
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/4064-wanikani-review-order-srs/code

Oh dang, this is great. I didn't know about this one, thanks chaps.

gth99 said... This is great.  I was thinking about something like this the other day, but what I really want is the ability to enter all the readings for those kanji that have multiple readings.

So for example, the 'name' kanji (名) would have two separate on'yomi fields, and I'd be required to provide both めい and みょう before having it marked correct.

(It probably wouldn't work well for vocabulary or for multiple meanings... just for kanji readings.)
 Ah, now then, that's an interesting idea too... I would be inclined to have it so that you can put multiple readings in the same field... comma separated maybe. And there would need to be some way of letting you input them in any order.

I am not very optimistic about getting any of this to work right now, but if I can, and I can figure out the multiple input thing too I will include it.

countdown timer will be amazing option too, some people dont have time to make the reviews slowly, each review must take at least 30 seconds.

chazychaz said... countdown timer will be amazing option too, some people dont have time to make the reviews slowly, each review must take at least 30 seconds.
 I think someone (or maybe a couple of people) have already made countdown timers... I seem to remember seeing threads about them a while back. Maybe have a look in ShotgunLagoon's list of extensions and scripts. It's stickied at the top of the API section.
hoovard said...
gth99 said... This is great.  I was thinking about something like this the other day, but what I really want is the ability to enter all the readings for those kanji that have multiple readings.

So for example, the 'name' kanji (名) would have two separate on'yomi fields, and I'd be required to provide both めい and みょう before having it marked correct.

(It probably wouldn't work well for vocabulary or for multiple meanings... just for kanji readings.)
 Ah, now then, that's an interesting idea too... I would be inclined to have it so that you can put multiple readings in the same field... comma separated maybe. And there would need to be some way of letting you input them in any order.

I am not very optimistic about getting any of this to work right now, but if I can, and I can figure out the multiple input thing too I will include it.

To handle multiple answers (readings/meanings) you just need to intercept the user input and check each value against a list of accepted answers.  I don't know JS so I don't know how to implement this, but looking at this userscript (https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/7478-wk-but-no-cigar/code) it definetely looks doable.

You will probably want to include an option two switch between 1+ correct 'answers' being accepted and all 'answers'. This should be easier than the first part though.

Anyone working on this?

I would also like to be required to enter the on’yomi and kun’yomi reading(s) for each kanji…

redmaw said...  To handle multiple answers (readings/meanings) you just need to intercept the user input and check each value against a list of accepted answers.  I don't know JS so I don't know how to implement this, but looking at this userscript (https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/7478-wk-but-no-cigar/code) it definetely looks doable.

You will probably want to include an option two switch between 1+ correct 'answers' being accepted and all 'answers'. This should be easier than the first part though.

Sorry, I completely missed this response to the thread. Thanks for the suggestion, yes, I have been looking through Ethan's code for this and some of his other scripts. It is certainly possible, although I am floundering a bit.

gth99 said... Anyone working on this?

I would also like to be required to enter the on'yomi and kun'yomi reading(s) for each kanji...
 Heh, yes, I am still working on it... And by working on it I mean shamelessly stealing other people's code to try and make it work. As for entering all the valid readings for a kanji, yes, you mentioned that earlier and I think it is a good option to have. I am a bit out of my depth with this right now though, my grasp of modern javascript with all its lambda functions and anonymous classes is not quite good enough yet. がんばります.

Has this been made yet? Or is there a similar userscript that puts the reading and meaning together?

Basvdelsen said... Has this been made yet? Or is there a similar userscript that puts the reading and meaning together?
If you have the old iOS app, it has lightning mode, which does this.  

I don’t

Basvdelsen said... Has this been made yet? Or is there a similar userscript that puts the reading and meaning together?
 No, it hasn't. I'm not sure it is a relevant or useful idea any more. It was part of an experiment that I think is a bit of a dead end so I have abandoned it. I'll go edit the main post to avoid future confusion.

I think that you can do a similar thing with xMunch's script - that is make the reviews come in pairs - but you will have to ask him for details of how that works.

/t/Wanikani-Reorder-Ultimate/8269/1

Thanks