A sentence that encapsulates my love and frustration of Japanese

Just came across this sentence in the book I’m reading

私がとてつもなくまずいと思うものを美味しいと食べる人がいる

I love the structure of this sentence - difficult to express why. It seems nestled like subroutines in a program.

Yet it is frustrating because it is so different from how sentences are constructed in the other languages I can speak so difficult to understand (in the spoken language) or to replicate.

14 Likes

He thinks eating people should taste bad, but it tastes pretty good.
Is that right?

Does it come with illustrations?

3 Likes

I’ll have a go:
“I have extremely disgusting; thoughts about how eating humans is delicious”

I have 300+ hours logged on Rimworld, please don’t judge

7 Likes

Not quite; it means something like,
„For things that I find unbelievably disgusting (taste-wise), there’s still people who eat it and think it’s delicious.“

15 Likes

There’s nothing here about eating people…

食べる人がいる means “There are people who eat.” The meaning of the whole sentence is along the lines of “Even for something I think tastes incredibly disgusting, there are people who enjoy eating it.”

17 Likes

…I’ll get back to Genki 1

11 Likes

I think I prefer your version to the correct translation!

Looking at your avatar (sic!) - probably the least likely think Ang would say.

5 Likes

Indeed, it’s not something Aang would normally say,

But who knows… with enough cactus juice…
raw

1 Like

there are people who find foods I think are disgusting delicious
there are people who find foods delicious that I think are disgusting
even if I find some foods disgusting, there are people who find them delicious

hmm. certainly more awkward to express naturally as a single sentence in english…

I’m a big fan of SOV and postpositions. people find it mind bending but it makes so much sense when you think about it

2 Likes

I think the hanging を is probably the biggest stumbling block to get used to.

1 Like

Is 美味しいと食べる a valid structure though? I mean, I did find several results on Google for it, but it’s usually 美味しく食べる, no? Even if the structure remains comprehensible (because sometimes short sentences can be used with と to form adverbial phrases), this is my first time seeing an い-adjective + と being used adverbially.

Where’s this sentence from, out of curiosity?

1 Like

I find that part more difficult thant the nested structure too ! I can only make sense of it if there is a と思って implied, like ものを(美味しいと思って)食べる人
Maybe because there is a already a と思う just before, so it would look a bit ugly ?

7 Likes

タカラモノ by 和田裕美

All the dialogue is in Kansei dialect so perhaps that grammatical structure is too?

2 Likes

I am far from a grammar expert, but I think you’re right that there’s an implied と(思って)here. I double checked the relevant section in my dictionary of intermediate Japanese grammar, and it lists と as “A particle which makes an adverbial clause, with a verb of saying/thinking understood after it”.
I couldn’t find any entry for using と to create an adverbial clause alongside a verb that wasn’t related to thoughts/feelings/quotations. BUT Japanese always finds a way to surprise me, so I won’t say that it’s impossible :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

“There are people who eat what I consider to be incredibly bad food as delicious.”??

2 Likes

I guessed same as your meaning but i don’t know what first half even is. (とてつもなく) <~ this

1 Like

It means something similar to とても:

4 Likes

Fast response. I like this.
Thanks

2 Likes

I’d like to recommend you some of the polls from the first post on this thread
https://community.wanikani.com/t/jojo-pose-jojo-polls-%E2%9C%85-quimda-is-our-next-pollmaster-part-1/49072

1 Like

This is Genki 2, using sentences to qualify nouns…