A few additions to Discourse Breeze Dark style

When I saw there was a dark theme for the WaniKani forums too, I immediately installed it because my poor eyes hate bright screens. As the author’s post said, it’s not 100% complete, so some sections were unstyled, like so:

This was driving me crazy, so I made a few amendments as part of an exercise (I’m learning web development), but also so I could stop having random things blind me or be unreadable. It’s not perfect by any means (code snippits are a especially a little wonky if they’re given a language, so syntax highlighting will be mostly overwritten to ensure readability), but it works. Sharing the amendment in case someone finds it useful. Sorry I’m not more of an artist. :stuck_out_tongue:

To add the stuff in, click on the Stylus button, and then click edit.

Then paste this at the bottom of the file:

/*StarMechStuff!*/
aside.quote .title, blockquote, .topic-map {
    background-color: #333;
}
.topic-map h3, .topic-map .information{
color: #ddd;
}
a.mention{
    color: #383838 !important;
}
.reply-area{
    background-color: #232629;
}
.d-editor-textarea-wrapper, .d-editor-preview{
    background-color: #1a1c1e;
    border: 0;
}
.d-editor-textarea-wrapper textarea{
    color: #919191;
}
.d-editor-button-bar{
    border-bottom: 1px solid #232629;    
}
.d-editor-spacer{
    background-color: #232629;
}
.d-editor-preview{
    padding: 10px;
}
.select-kit.combo-box .select-kit-header{
    background-color: #1a1c1e !important;
}
.select-kit-body, .select-kit-body ul{
    background-color: #1a1c1e !important;
    max-width: inherit !important;
}
.select-kit-row.is-highlighted{
    background-color: #222 !important;
}
.select-kit-row.is-selected{
    background-color: rgb(0,0,30) !important;
}
.category-input{
    color: #232629 !important;
}
code{
    background-color: #000 !important;
}
.presence-users{
    background-color: #31363b;
}

Feel free to leave the comment out. I put it in so I know where I started adding stuff.

4 Likes

If I’m not mistaken the dark theme for the forums is provided by Discourse so it’s likely never going to be seen. Although that’s weird that it’s showing white in some places, that must be a bug or something because it doesn’t look like that for me at all.

1 Like

Just FYI, there’s also a native dark theme you can select in the interface settings

That’s not what OP was talking about? I wasn’t aware there was an external dark theme available.

1 Like

@RysingDragon Weird. I wonder why mine was so messed up.
Are you using chrome?

Well dang. lol. I like Discourse Breeze Dark though :[ Looks pretty, like the WaniKani skin.

2 Likes

Oh, you were talking about the stock one? I didn’t know there was a stock dark theme. xD
We both TIL’d.

3 Likes

Valeth started making version of their WK theme for the forums, but it hasn’t been in active development for a long time now.

1 Like

I’m still using it in combination with the native dark skin and it’s mostly fine. :man_shrugging:

1 Like