5 book recommendations for intermediate and advanced learners (video)

I made this specifically with the fact that the JLPT is around the corner in mind. All the books are split into short sections that make it easy to feel like you’re getting manageable chunks of extra reading in.

50 Likes

Me right now.

On a more serious tone, I appreciate the videos you’ve been doing. There are an abundance of resources for beginners, but when it comes to crossing the barrier to JP/JP stuff, we all kinda feel lost. It’s always great to have someone like you (that is also a learner) guiding us a little bit :slight_smile: Appreciate it.

21 Likes

Haha, thanks. I definitely don’t have the qualifications to help directly with Japanese, the way a channel like Nihongonomori or Misa can, so I figured… what do I know how to do? Study!

I have way, way, too many books. So I’d like to do this again with dictionaries, drill books, etc. Plenty of options.

I also want to make a series on tests other than the JLPT.

9 Likes

Yup, so much this. I feel like your strength is precisely here. Don’t get me wrong, I wish I had your level of Japanese, as you always seem to have a great answer for all the questions posted around. But so do other (native) people like the ones you just mentioned.

You seem to enjoy going beyond the traditional way of learning the language (thinking of kanken as an example), a world that a lot of us don’t really get to connect because it’s not really that often mentioned. We need that enjoyment on the more advanced levels as well, so I feel like you are in the right path with this project :v:

#Subscribed.

4 Likes

I’d also love to see videos comparing different instances within a genre if that’s something you’d be interested in. You know, to save the rest of us from also ending up with way too many books :grin:

Thanks for these suggestions - I’m not doing the JLPT but things like the first book seem like a really interesting way of getting some non-fiction reading practice while also learning a bit more about the language at the same time.

3 Likes

I’d love to see you make more videos. You have that teacher voice. Don’t worry what anyone else is doing - just do your own thing.

1 Like

The essays book looks interesting. I’ll be presenting the N2 this December so I still have a couple more days to try to practice reading speed. I’ll try to get it at a Book off tomorrow if I’m lucky.

Thanks for the recommendations!

1 Like

Thanks, this gave me an idea for a video where I choose several words and look them up in each of the thesauruses I have so people could see how they differ and choose which is right for them.

3 Likes

Ooh, nice idea. A similar approach would work for dictionaries too.

1 Like

Thank you for the info, @Leebo ! Out of likes, so gave a subscription instead! :grin:

1 Like

Thanks a lot!
I’m not at all aiming at JLPT exams, but those are some sweet recomendations :ok_hand::ok_hand:

I’m kinda surprised by the first two books, as I wasn’t aware that there was this middle step from english material and using japanese resources made for japanese people (which is the route I started to take recently).
Do you think there’s much gap between this books and using something like Kōjien or Daijisen dictionaries?

I was somewhat intimidated by the explanations in those dictionaries, but lately I’ve been reading a basic review of Kakugo covering the 小学 curriculum and the definitions are quite clear after the basic grammatical concepts are recognized.

That Keigo book looks pretty interesting as well. :upside_down_face:

Hope you keep the videos comming :+1:

1 Like

Hmm… I haven’t thought about how they would be different.

I have the Koujien, but mostly because I’m a nerd, not because I actually use it all that much. Dictionary language can be pretty weird at times, because they’re trying to use precise language for natives. So some definitions almost don’t help at all.

But I might make a video about using J-J dictionaries too.

1 Like

Oh!! That would be great :star_struck::star_struck:. J-J dictionaries are quite the resource. As intimidating as they might be, a lot of useful info can be found there… part of speech, definition, synonyms, example sentences, pitch accent… and even some very clarifying examples on use of grammatical constructions…

1 Like

I’m thrown. I did not expect your voice to sound like this.

Well, I think most people hate their own voice, and I’m no exception. Oh well.

It’s not a bad voice, just unexpected. :joy: I thought it would be like really deep or something.

I can’t watch the video right nooooow, stop tempting me :cry:

I’m also curious about what @Leebo said on 5分後に意外な結末, because the red one wasn’t so great (as you know).

I didn’t go super deep into it. I said the biggest positive is that there are lots of stories and they’re not a big time investment. I personally found the twists to be predictable often, but I did enjoy plenty of the stories. I’m not a huge fiction reader. This is more manageable for me than novels, which I have less interest in.

Unless we don’t…? I don’t know if you’re referring to a thread or something.

1 Like

He’s talking to me I think, I was replied to by him anyhow. We read the red book for our club and at first the stories were cute, then they got horribly predicatble, and then just dreadfully boring.

1 Like

Ah, yes, I was replying to @Iwasneverhere, who obviously knows about the red one, since we read it together in the book club.

I really don’t like the “not showing who you are replying to because it’s obvious” thing from Discourse.

I agree! There are much better collections of short stories out there than the red version, though. I was curious to know if the orange one was better but

Doesn’t seem so.

1 Like