459 Days From start until finishing lvl 60

This was one of the hardest, but also most gratifying experiences in my life. I will never forget this adventure, and I look forward to expanding on this knowledge in any way I can now. Thank you Wanikani and community.

Some Kanji I absolutely detest: 幕募暮墓 / 賃貸貿
Some Kanji I love: 芋、魔、桜、離、傘

52 Likes

That’s so impressive! Congratulations :blush:!!!
https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/anime-party-gif-8.gif
Good luck on your future endeavors too :yellow_heart:

4 Likes

Congrats! You only had like two outliers, but the rest was quite fast! How did you lower the time spent per level? If I unlock a new level and get everything right it is always around 8 days max because you got to unlock radicals first before unlocking the last batch of kanji.

2 Likes

congrats!! going at approx 8 dpl, how many burnt items do you have at lv 60? can you share your workload graph as well?

2 Likes

Some of the last levels don’t have radicals, that’s why :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congrats ,
12 level to go🥲

1 Like

I would be nice to share about how you do the lessons of each level. Since fast levels are also 8 days each, it can’t be max speed.

About 賃貸貿, I recently go by sounds (phonetic component), then vocabularies. I don’t know if I can reliably distinguish those yet. (Maybe I can if I remember hard enough…)

Congrats on making lv 60! :partying_face: :tada: :durtle_tomato:

1 Like

@Akashelia is right, you can get lower times on some of the later levels without radicals, but mine are actually more consistent because I found that a maximum number of reviews per day helped me retain a lot, and suddenly doing more reviews for “fast” levels didn’t make sense to me

After a couple months I started doing ~14 lessons a day for when I had new kanji, and ~21-35 lessons a day for when it was vocab. That seemed to be the most stable for me and help me retain kanji the most, but it took a lot of trial and error to figure that out for me! It didn’t make sense to me to start doing more lessons daily just for the “fast” levels and sacrifice my comprehension.

3 Likes

I have 4589 items burned currently! I answered above about my lesson rate and posted by lesson graph :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here are my SRS levels for all kanji (又 is weird because it actually moved levels while I was going through!)

3 Likes

That’s a beautiful sight! Well done on the consistency and on the achievement.
What are the next steps? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Huge congrats! As others have asked, let us know your planned next steps! Always exciting to see what people do.

2 Likes

Hey mosquitobird11! Congrats on your consistency, wow! I am also curious to know what is next for you on your Japanese language learning journey! :sunglasses: Hopefully you aren’t merely riding off into the kanji sunset. :city_sunset: :cowboy_hat_face:

-Nick at WK

1 Like

@TofuguKyle @WaniConti I am starting to ramp up more on the grammar side of things and finish working through Genki I-II + Bunpro and starting to read more :slight_smile: just going to keep adding more and more media as much as I can. I am a full time software engineer so I can only max out my study time so much, but I am trying my best to do exactly that :laughing:

3 Likes

I usually get some good immersion time in on walks by listening to podcasts/audio tracks and try to wind down at night with some reading. Not the most efficient, but it fits my full time schedule.

1 Like