🪳極主夫道 Volume 3, chapter

Hi y’all!!

Welcome to the third Volume!

• I’m reading along
  • Catch up later
  • I’ve read ahead, but I’m here for discussion
  • I will always click there least informative option on a poll.

0 voters

Main thread for volume 3
Vocabulary sheet

Useful resources

Kansai-ben: kansaiben.com | Kansai-ben index,
Kansai-ben in 極主夫道, Osaka-ben transmogrifier
Yakuza slang/極道用語
Onomatopoeia
Contractions: Reference thread, more exhaustive list

2 Likes

Seems the vocab sheet is in permission request only mode? It doesn’t let me access it

1 Like
pg 24 (lots of questions here...)

稼業 緑を持ちまして子ども達のため 西に東に献上品を納め歩いておりやす

I’m assuming this is supposed to be all one sentence, but I’m not sure how to break it down.

1. Tatsu says 稼業 緑を持ちまして but I’m not really sure what he means by 緑を持つ. His business is to hold green?? As in money? Or greenery? or is there some other meaning I’m missing? The context of Santa is not really helping (edit: and neither is the context of the rest of the chapter)
  2. I’m not quite sure what 献上品 means. Is it 献上 with 品 as a suffix? Which means item presented to (the west and to the east)?
  3. 納め歩く is 歩く an auxiliary verb here? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it like that before. I’m not sure what this would mean (supply + walk = ?)

So here’s my poor attempt at a translation: “My trade is having green(?) and walking and supplying goods presented to the east and west” This definitely seems wrong :sweat_smile: Anyone else have any ideas?

2 Likes
My answers
  1. Yeah, I don’t really have a clear answer either, but I think the confusion in the context of Santa is the point: it’s probably one of those “in Yakuza terms it sounds as if he’s talking about money, but in this context he probably means something else” jokes. Maybe just Christmas trees or holly?..
  2. My dictionary says that 献上品 means ‘presents/gifts’. I guess in Japanese ‘goods that are presented’ are also just presents :slightly_smiling_face:
  3. I took 納める more in the sense of ‘to deliver’ because that fits better with presents, so yeah, I think he’s saying that he delivers presents to the east and to the west and apparently he finds it relevant to mentions that he does that on foot, so he adds the 歩く (?). Although actually, he does it on a ladies’ bicycle (the kids’ reaction to that was great :laughing:).
3 Likes

Thanks for the help! everything you said makes this part make a lot more sense :smiley:

1 Like