3月のライオン(March Comes in Like a Lion), Chapters 1-3

I’ve converted it - is this what you want it to look like? I was quite surprised at first, but the Anki deck looks the same to me, so…
My bad, I misinterpreted Anki’s options… Now it should look like what you expect.

Eh? Where do I go to see the converted file?

I’ve inserted it into the vocab spreadsheet. Was that not your intention?

Nope, that’s perfect! You were just a step ahead of me. I’ve re-orderd it to be consistent (Kanji, Kana, Definition). Now, I just have to go through and delete the [furigana] in the Kanji Column. Any help on that is welcome!

Also–how did you do it? I’ll probably be doing this every week…

Thank You!

1 Like

I was just about to say, let me see if I can remove those. No need to do that manually :sweat_smile:

Edit: All done :slight_smile:

Here is how you do it:

1. Export from Anki: In the Deck overview, under the deck’s cogwheel, there is “Export”. Select “Notes as plain text”. This gives you the fields separated with tabs.

2. Import in Google Spreadsheet: File → Import, then select “Upload” and drag the file from step 1. You can create a new spreadsheet and copy the stuff over, or you can create a new sheet beforehand and let it put the stuff in there. For the import options, you can select “Tabs” but auto-detect should do as well. For the third option, select “no” when it asks to create formulas and numbers.

3. Some fields had a funny outline, so I selected everything and used the toolbar button 田 to remove all outlines from all fields.

4. Remove the furigana brackets: Select the column in question, open “Find and Replace” (don’t know where that is, I went through the search in the Help menu :rofl:). Fill it in as follows:
    Find: \[.*\]
    Replace: leave empty
    Tick “Search using regular expressions”
    You can let it replace all, but I’m usually too scaredy-cat so I first “Find” and then “Replace” until all are done.

5. Remove the “meaning” annotation: Same “Find and Replace” option, just with a different column. Fill it in as follows:
    Find: meaning (to get a very clean result you can add a space before the word)
    Replace: leave empty
    Don’t tick any boxes

And that’s it!

2 Likes

Chapter 2 Discussion Starts Here!

• I’m Reading Along
  • I’ll Catch up Later
  • I’ve already Read This Chapter, But I’m Here for Discussion
  • I’m Dropping This Book

0 voters

Here is a Link to the Vocabulary Sheet.

Also, here is a link to the first entry in the home thread (the home of the schedule), and the latest entry in the Home Thread, in case that’s where you wanted to be.

1 Like

Not complaining or anything, but text is so crammed in this manga I feel like I’m reading a novel…

6 Likes

Just yesterday I reflected on this and came to the conclusion that this is one of the aspects why I like that manga so much :joy_cat: (I often have a hard time understanding what happens in manga, I’m more the book person, so this is a very nice manga for me…) Also, it reveals so much of the inner monologue and thoughts and feelings of our protagonist!

3 Likes

I felt like this as well! I was tired last night and thinking I’d fit in one book club reading, and I thought a chapter of a manga would be an easy choice… I may have to go back and read this again because by the end I was about nodding off trying to get through all the words in my sleepy state. :smiley:

2 Likes

Well I really struggled through that chapter… No idea what half of what 二海堂 is saying means but I feel like he’s kinda supposed to be that way? Enjoyed it though.

Loved the でかいおにぎり! :rice_ball:

3 Likes

He certainly is very melodramatic about his self confidence.

I decided to give some context/spoilers for 二海堂 's
台詞

桐山5段 and 2KD (abbreviation for 二海堂 that shows up in the manga sometimes) played shougi at public shougi event (s) for kids–before either of them went pro.

To be a professional shougi player, you first have to reach the rank of 4段. 桐山5段 reached that rank about 2 years ago, and 2KD just reached it.

Now that 2KD is a pro, he can play against 桐山五段 in public professional matches. (This one is a special title tournament specifically for new, young professional shougi players)

2 Likes

Chapter 3 Discussion starts here!
Here’s a link to the top of the main feed (with the schedule)
And here is a link to the vocabulary sheet.

How are you doing?

• I’m reading along
  • I’ve already read this part, but I’m here for discussion
  • I’ll catch up later
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

This is the first chapter that has a significant amount of shougi in it. You could skip over it without missing much plot…or…your could lean into the shougi. After all, you never know when impressing a Japanese grandfather with your ability to play shougi might save your life.

If you know the basics of chess, you are at an advantage because shougi is like chess, with a couple of major differences:
2) There are a few unfamiliar pieces, and even the familiar pieces move a little differently. I am making a chart to summarize the pieces, because the pronunciations, text references and pictures are hard to match together.
3) Almost all pieces can be “promoted” when they cross enemy lines, which changes their movement pattern.
4) When you capture an en enemy’s piece, it becomes yours, and you can drop it back into the game.
Here is a basic moves tutorial I found helpful.

I printed this paper shougi set to help me follow along with games in the manga. If anyone is interested in discussing the actual shougi, I’d love to!

3 Likes

I’m trying to catch up; still at chapter 1 though. First chapter was a fairly easy read (many thanks to the vocab sheet too!).

Questions!

1. When Hina was going to offer a bowl of the curry to the deceased, why was Akari hesitant about it? Is there something with offering curry to the deceased or is it like curry is too extravagant as an offering? Just a sidenote: I was confused at first as to why she would offer curry to Buddha then segue to talking about mom and grandma, but a dictionary search said 仏様 also means deceased, which makes much more sense lol

2. Was the man Rei played with at the start of the chapter his father?

I also just wanted to say, I love how the first few pages were so quiet and calm then bam chaos in the girls’ household (and the cats too) :laughing:

4 Likes

Sort of an adopted father. Rei was his live-in apprentice.

I see. Then he’s also the “father” referred to in Rei’s internal monologue / flashbacks when he was listening to the news? (sorry I can’t provide the page numbers; I just realized there’s none in the ebook copy on Bookwalker D:)

1 Like

I’ve read a bit ahead and I got more and more interested in shougi, so yesterday I read the rules, downloaded an app and played my first “game” :smiley:
The moves of the different pieces are still quite confusing for me (especially after promotion) but with some practice, and after reading an intro to strategies, it should be fine. I already like the fact that many of the pieces can only move to (some of the) adjacent tiles, this feels more manageable than in chess where there are so many lines of movement across the board that need to be constantly traced… :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Not sure I have enough time to analyze the 将棋 sections in detail (too many book clubs at the moment :sweat_smile: ), but how exactly does the move notation work?

9 is the column and 一 the row? Starting from the top or the bottom? Left or right? The last kanji is the piece that gets moved, I suppose, but how would it look like if two pieces of the same name can reach the same spot?

Also, from the rule set I see that promotion is sometimes optional. How would the notation look like to specify if the player has or not decided to promote?

Also, I wonder how does the move of placing of a previously captured piece looks like… ?

I’m so glad you asked! This all took me forever to figure out, and it’s still hard to remember, which is why I made the chart.

The black or white shape tells you whose move it is–their name is written in there. It also tells you who is
先手 (black) and who is 後手(white). The 先手 is the person who moves first.

The two numbers tell you the position the pieces was moved TO, according to the numbering shown above. (Which is how the 先手(black) sees it). Since you don’t know where it was moved or dropped* from, you kind of have to figure it out. Drops are not noted if that’s the only way to get that piece in that spot. If there are moves or drops that would look the same, a drop is noted with 打. If two of the same type of pieces can move to the same spot, it will be specified left(左) or right(右), retreat (引) or advance (進)

*Drop = play a captured piece.

Each promoted piece had a new name, so if it’s not promoted, you just keep using the old name. If they decide to promote, you specify 成 (なり)。

The kanji character is the abbreviation for the piece that was moved or dropped. I included the abbreviation in my handy one-page guide to shougi pieces chart.

4 Likes

Very helpful, thank you!

1 Like