3月のライオン第2巻 chapter 11-13 discussion 🦁🤓🙏

I’m posting this a day early, but I was in the mood!
This thread is for the first three chapters, but we’re only reading one chapter this week. Check out the schedule in main feed, because sometimes we read one chapter, and sometimes we read 2 chapters in a week.

Here’s the new vocabulary list!

• I’m reading along!
  • I’ve already read this part, but I’m here for discussion.
  • I’ll catch up later.

0 voters

1 Like

Chapters 11-13 are one story arc (神さまの子供) so I’m keeping the discussion together, but splitting the story arc into 2 weeks of reading. That happens a couple of times over the book.

2 Likes

i need to learn to read…thought this week was a double chapter week.

I’m starting to get used to the vocabulary(finally learned how to read 将棋)and the stream of consciousness. i’m even staring to like the stream of consciousness(is this even the right word for those emotional narration of kiriyama’s past and people feeling?), it describes emotion, thoughts and experiences in a way i didn’t think it was possible for a manga.

1 Like

Nah, not just you. I thought we decided on 2 chapters/week a few weeks ago, but it looks like it’s loosely split by arcs now. I’ve already read chapter 11 and 12 last week and expected 13 and 14 this week because I forgot the start was postponed by a week. So I was very confused when I saw the thread, but not a big issue. :sweat_smile:

Hi, I noticed the vocab sheet is set to “view only” – you might want to change the edit access to “anyone who has the link” so others can contribute to the list c:

2 Likes

Sorry for the confusion! I wanted to keep story arcs in a single thread, and avoid weeks where we switched from one thread to another midweek, and this seemed like the best way to do it. No worries, though, you can just read one chapter next week.

2 Likes

This is a two (2) chapter week, so we will finish the 神さまの子供 story arc.

The main thread schedule is here.
Vocabulary sheet here.

Rei solves a 詰将棋 problem in chapter 12.
These are checkmate problems. To solve them, you put the (opponent’s) King in check, and then keep it in check until checkmate. If you want to play along with Rei, you might find this paper shougi set helpful. If you just want to understand what he’s saying, you may find my guide to shougi pieces helpful.

• I’m reading along
  • I haven’t reached this part yet, but I’ll catch up later.
  • I’ve already read this part, but I’m here for discussion.
  • I’m dropping this book.

0 voters

In ch 11 p 17ish

Is it like “while thinking like that, I came to desperately bite into (hold on) the board”?
Why is 喰らう used here instead of some verb that means clinging or grasping?
Sure the feeling of holding on is conveyed, but is this a common way to describe this kind of situation? :thinking:

he is talking about how he began biting in the plate (bord I guess) desperately, following that line of thought it’s 食らいつく

I’m guessing he is comparing himself with a dog who is trying to survive

Taking advantage of the dual meaning of 盤 as plate and Shougi board. I love that kind of thing.

Finally catching up on my own book club😋

I love chapter 11 so much.

I’m wondering if someone can explain the nuance of the difference between

どこかにいきたかった
And

どこかへいってしまいたかった

I translate it as
“Where I wanted to go”
Vs.
“Where I wanted to end up going”
But I don’t really understand the meaning of that second sentence.

2 Likes

i feel the second has more of an acceptance of fate? like i wanted to end up going that way(hence the へ instead of に). and it’s more about ending up going that way. you can’t always go to the direction you want. like in Classical Mythology/Jungian psychology, the prophet has to go down then up and cannot go up at the beginning. so you want to end up going up but you can’t at first.

2 Likes

yukinet got it covered in their reply, but to point this out more distinctly: どこか means “somewhere”, not “where”, so the first one would be “I wanted to go somewhere”.

(This is a standard thing with the question words, if you attach ~か then it turns into “some~”)

2 Likes

:man_facepalming: i didn’t even notice, thanks for pointing it out.

1 Like

Thanks, I should know this, but I always forget it.

1 Like

Another grammar mystery I’d like help with, if possible:

Why 行かれています?

I don’t even know what passive voice of 行く would even mean, other than the usage than indicates something is being done that annoys the speaker. Is it maybe that use? But 桐山 is the は topic of the sentence, so that confuses me…

It occurred to me that maybe translating it thusly captures what you’ve said:
Rather than “there’s somewhere I wanted to go,”
“I wanted to go somewhere.”

my guess is that it’s the potential and not the passive, quoting from imabi

https://www.imabi.net/thepassive.htm

1 Like

Maybe? Although Takahashi kun didn’t strike me as the type to use old fashioned grammar. 桐山、maybe.

but i mean it makes sense, you were able to go to school again after getting held back for a year. maybe it’s the type of grammar that floats around like the flu and never dies?

1 Like