魔女の宅急便 (Kiki’s Delivery Service) Discussion Thread: Chapter 5

Ourgh. Been a rough few days. Group projects don’t become any less of a mess in Grad School, kids. Even if I let everything else fall by the wayside, though, I’ll at least get my two pages read tonight.

From pages 1-2 of chapter 5 (Red Book):

• ふうふうしちゃう - Is she just commenting on the wind here? Like, saying that it’s fuu-fuuing?

• 胸のボタンを一つはずして風を入れると - Is this saying she undid a button on her chest to let the wind in?

• キキにそっくりだって - Just making sure, but it’s saying here that Kokiri was just like Kiki, with the って indicating that it was said?

Nice to see things picking up for Kiki, but I know better than to get too comfortable. I’ve seen the vocabulary that I had to study for this chapter.

1 Like

I’m curious to see input on the ふうふうしぢゃう remark (near the end of p. 88 in the blue book). I took her comment to be like “I’m panting [it’s so hot in the summer relentless rays]”.

I think you are correct about your second point 胸のボタンを一つはずして風を入れると(later in the same sentence as his first point).

About 4 sentences later (middle of p. 89 of the Ver 2 Blue book)

草は いい におい がする、すずしい 風がふいてくる。 What is up with those し’s? I think it’s some grammar thing that I don’t know.

After working on Kiki’s all weekend, I’m only finished reading the second page for the weeks half-chapter!

After pre-looking at the vocabulary, sometimes I am VERY SURPRISED by how it gets used! The ふうふう was one of those times. Another was both 狙(ねら) and 投げつける in the middle of the first page of Chap. 5 (p.88). Scenic poetry again… Like the carrots and pea soup in an earlier chapter.

でも、今、この町のお日さまので光は、ねらって投げつけるまりのように、せわしなくぶつかってきます。

PS. Playing tennis with a Japanese friend, he told me to use ボール for ball, in general, instead of まり=ball (used in the sentence above). He said that’s only referring to a ball used in an old sport that nobody plays anymore. Kemari? Thought that I would pass that along. Nb. A small fail for me in Showing off new Japanese vocab まり not equal to tennis ball.

It’s a list of reasons, it’s N4 in Bunpro:

Effectively the し translates as “and” in this case.

And I agree with your interpretation of the first point.

1 Like

I have a grammar or vocabulary question-- I’m not sure which!
Page 95, V2
砂で玉をつくって投げっこする人

What is 投げっこ? Is it a conjugation of 投げる or a word I can’t find in a dictionary?

Alright. Doing better now that we’re back into the week, weirdly enough. People seemed to really like that 3d Jiji I printed, so I’m looking at printing a model of Porco Rosso next. That… Is going to be tougher to paint. Not sure I’ll do quite such a good job as Jiji, where I just needed to hit the ears, nose, and eyes.

Anyway, pages 3-4 of chapter 5. Finally, we’re getting to the beach episode:

• 暑いから行くんじゃないの。- It’s funny, when I quickly read this, it seemed to make perfect sense. But then when I slowed down to reread, it seems like she’s saying You don’t go because it’s hot. But maybe it’s more like "Because it’s hot you go, right?

• ただ砂の上でねそべってるだけでもいいものよ。- Is she saying that even just laying on the sand is good?

• ちょっと待ってね。今、水着もってきてあげるから。洋服の下に着ていて、むこうでぬぐとかんたんよ。- I don’t have a question about this one, I just wanted to note that, when I read this little segment, it was effortless. I read right through understanding it completely without stopping to puzzle out any of the words or parse the grammar. It just all made perfect sense, and I feel really good about that.

Also:

• 目に留まるのはまぶしい光と、くっきりと黒い建物の影だけです。- Sounds like a Hiroshi Nagai painting.

I’d love to own one of these someday, but originals are, uh… Not cheap. Maybe someday.

5 Likes

Theないis not on the 行く、it’s after the ん、so this one is a pretty clear comment tacked onto the end of the sentence, which we do in English, too.:

You go because it’s hot, don’t you?

I love how the “green” light is precisely the same color as the sky: 青い。I wonder if it’s a case of language influencing perception?

1 Like

I think it might relate back to this word: ごっこ
I understood it to mean a game where they throw balls of sand at each other

If you type *ごっこ into Jisho you’ll get a selection of children’s games, like tag, playing doctors, etc.

Also, for anyone who didn’t know it, the asterisk * feature in Jisho is really handy when you only know part of a word!

7 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I gathered, but I’m finding Kiki surprisingly easy to read*, so I’m digging into the little details! Thanks for the insight! …And the tip about asterices on Jisho.

*Oh, how I love the spreadsheet.

1 Like

Have just posted in the chapter 4 thread, indulge me while I post more in the chapter 5 thread as well!

• あなたがお使いに行くと、あそこによりみちしてなかなか帰ってこのかったのを思い出してね。I’m having trouble with このかった. Is かった a verb? If so, I don’t understand what it is doing there.

• まあね、そこの横町で道路を掃除している、感心な男の子もいるみたいだけど…ほとんどの人はいない I understand this as generally commenting on how empty the town is, but the middle part is baffling me. “admirable boy there also appeared to be”???

• すこしずつ仕事もふえてきたし、ひさぶしりにのんびりしてらっしゃいな The first I’ve got (little by little, work is increasing), but having trouble with the final verb. Something about relaxed manner?What is the らっしゃい ending?

Whoops, only read one page last night. Got entirely too caught up in other hobbies. Good news is, I’m still on pace to finish at 2 pages a night, and this one page has some bits that made me stop and think. So, not such a bad thing.

From page 5 of chapter 5:

• よっぽどらくだとおもうけど。- I’m reading the らく as 楽. Think that’s correct?

• ほうきにだって、たまには遊び飛びっていうの、させてあげなくっちゃ。- Let me be sure I’m breaking this down right. ほうきにだって - Even brooms; たまには遊び飛び - Occasionally playfully fly; っていうの - It’s a thing that’s said; させてあげなくっちゃ - Shouldn’t it be allowed?; So putting it all together, it roughly becomes “Even brooms should be allowed to playfully fly around occasionally, shouldn’t they?”

I’ll leave the more detailed explanation to someone more knowledgable, but that’s a modification of the verb のんびりする, to relax. The らっしゃい seems to come from the honorific form of ている , which would be ていらっしゃる.

2 Likes

First, you have a typo. It’s こなかった, which is the negative past tense of くる(来る), which is one of the few irregular verbs.

Because the admirable boy is the only person still around. I think she’s calling him admirable, because what young person goes through the trouble of sweeping streets? That’s pretty admirable, right?

ふえてきたし、ひさぶしりにのんびりしてらっしゃいな
[/quote]

I don’t know where you get “increasingly” --ふえて/きた/し is because (work) has increased
~てくる to come to ~

し – used for listing reasons (although I have seen it elsewhere like this where there’s really only one reason listed)https://japanesetest4you.com/flashcard/learn-japanese-grammar-33

らっしゃい is short for いらっしゃいませ。
いらっしゃるis a polite word for to be or to come or to go.

I think she’s basically politely ordering Kiki to go relax.

3 Likes

Gah, can’t believe I kept misreading こなかつた. Makes much much sense. File the remarkably" away as a typo as well - can you tell I’m mildly dislexic, ha

I hadn’t clued in that the part about cleaning the street was modify the boy. Very admirable indeed!

Didn’t know about the honorific form - thanks for the reference.

1 Like

Yes.

っていうの

I think you got it right, but this is more quoting “たまには遊び飛び” than anything else. (“It’s a thing that’s said” sounds wrong)

Instead of “allowed to”, I would say this is a simple casual sentence. Note that the only meaning of させる is something that causes another thing. Whether it’s simple casual or “force”/“let” always depends on context and certain particle choices. Here, it just feels like “let” or simple causal. “Allowed” feels like a wrong choice of word.

Also, させてあげなくっちゃ is “should/must…”, there’s no “shouldn’t they?”.

1 Like

Wow, we’re making serious progress through this book, huh? Looking forward to having more of the book behind than in front. Two pages a night has been a great pace for me thus far. Enough to keep me going, but not so much that I’m tempted to throw it aside because I want the extra time to paint at night. (Though, admittedly, half of my time seems to be going to pre-gaming the vocabulary through anki. I wish that wasn’t so necessary, but it really does make the first run through of each page a lot cleaner.)

From pages 6-7 of chapter 5:

• 海に行けばみんなおんなじだから、- I’d never realized that 同じ could be pronounced おんなじ. I wonder why this pronunciation was used, if for any meaningful reason at all? It feels like it could be a pun.

• おソノさんはそういいながら、自分もスカートをひっぱって、足をにゅっとだして見せました。-

• The news report is a little tough to follow, but it’s gone over in some detail in the original thread. 魔女の宅急便 (Kiki’s Delivery Service) Discussion Thread: Chapter 5 - #15 by LucasDesu

2 Likes

No need to think of reasons really. It’s just more colloquial and whether you use it or not is random. It’s similar to using なくって instead of なくて (first thing that popped in my mind, there are more similar variations).

2 Likes

I made it to the beginning of chapter 5 but it’s hard to keep up—it’s my first time reading a real novel.
I think maybe I should slow down my wanikani leveling to make more time for reading, but it’s hard to resist doing all my new lessons right away. Also I think I’ve been looking up too many words that I could probably afford to skip over.

I wish I could participate in the discussion thread more, but it takes all my energy just to keep up with the reading.

10 Likes

Just sitting down to knock out some more reading and I was wonder what grade level is this novel at? I’m guessing 6th grade level, maybe?

Also, What’s up with the double て at the end of this sentence: 赤ちゃん見ててあげるわ。

1 Like

Save yourself. Use Lesson Filter. :wink:

見る
見て
見ている
見てる (い is removed in casual speech)
見てて

That’s how the conjugation works at least. I don’t have enough context to say why it’s in this form instead of just being 見て.

3 Likes

Kiki’s reaction to putting on the bathing suit was so cute! Really enjoying this chapter, although some of it has been tough to read.

大川をはさんで両側に、ちょうちょの羽根のようにのびているこの町も、音楽にあわせて動いて見えます。

Had some issues with this sentence, mostly because I kept getting “bankruptcy” from はんで, in ichi.moe. Here is my breakdown:

大川をはさんで両側に = On both sides of the river,
ちょうちょの羽根のようにのびている = Stretched out like a butterfly wing (love this simile!)
この町も = This town as well
音楽にあわせて = to be like music??
動いて見えます。= Move and able to see

“The town, stretched out like butterfly on both sides of the river as well, like music moving and able to see”

I feel confident about the first half, but the last half isn’t coming together at all. Any help appreciated:)

1 Like

Remember that Kiki has the radio on and was flying along, moving to the music. So it’s saying that the town, stretching out on both sides of the river like butterfly wings, also seemed to be moving along to the music, from what Kiki can see.

3 Likes