養う can also mean arrive?

I’m surprised this was marked correct, it doesn’t show up as meaning arrive in Jisho.org. Am I missing some nuance?

No you’re not missing anything, it’s just a loophole/error of the algorithm they use to mark certain typos as correct if your answer is close enough (essentially, the more letters in an answer, the more leniency from the algorithm if you have enough correct corresponding letters – this is useful overall but sometimes things with completely different meanings get marked correct!)

Plus, only meanings in WaniKani and user added synonyms are recognized by the system, even if something has alternate meanings in other sources like jisho

No, it’s wrong. Probably the word “arrive” is near enough to “raise” that it tricked the “careless typing errors” script, but it shouldn’t have worked.

It’s just a happy accident.

WaniKani allows a certain number of incorrect letters, to allow for typos. this occasionally allows for real words to be marked correct when they aren’t.

I got 下着 to Enlightened by answering the meaning as “underwater” before I realized my mistake.

5 Likes

Oh right I completely forgot about the ~90% typo forgiveness system. Thanks for clarifying everyone!

5 Likes

Oh my gosh, I’ve been getting the meaning incorrect this whole time and been putting “to adopt” instead of “to foster”. Turns out, it had both meanings this entire time. image

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.