風の谷のナウシカ (Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind) Advanced Book Club

Well yes, except then the week 2 thread will contain content that’s been reassigning to week 3. I don’t care much either way though.

3 Likes

True that. We’ll just have to remember to rename the thread title to week 2 & 3.

4 Likes

Week 5! Penultimate week of the “official” book club. Already.

5 Likes

I’m not literate enough to read this yet but the movie was showing in a theater near me so I dragged some friends to see it yesterday and it was pretty cool. Here’s a meme I made about the movie before I knew anything about it

Really enjoyed the movie, would be interested in trying the manga, but since I’m still working through the ABBC I feel like it’s too soon to read it now.

9 Likes

And the final week, oh noes.

… Of the official book club, in any case. Time to start planning the offshoot.

Who’s with me?!
  • Yeah!
  • Nah!
0 voters
Should we pause for a break before continuing?
  • No break (Jul 22)
  • One week (Jul 29)
  • Two weeks (Aug 5)
  • Three weeks (Aug 12)
  • More?
0 voters
Should we change speeds again?
  • Speed up again
  • Same is good
  • Slow down some more
0 voters
4 Likes

I’m not really feelin’ it to be honest. I’m like 10% into volume 2, and while I do plan to finish volume 2 there are so many other things I’m enjoying reading more, so I’m not going to read 5 more volumes.

3 Likes

I’m fine with whatever. It’s definitely a work that needs focused time, but I managed fine with reading every other day this week. That said unless I would read something lighter on the side, I probably wouldn’t manage as well. This is basically the only thing I read momentarily.

Maybe next week is different idk, but I’d be done with volume 2 tomorrow if all is going towards plan. I know the next few volumes get a bit more difficult, so in the break time I can read something different to reset myself.

3 Likes

Alrighty, so the majority vote is that we’ll continue at the same speed, but after a week’s break. So we’ll start volume three on July 29th. In the meantime, finish volume two. Ask all the questions. Comment on the narrative. :slightly_smiling_face:

That’ll give me some time to re-work the schedule.

5 Likes

Why’d you close the participation poll??

1 Like

It was more of a “judging interest” poll than a participation poll.

1 Like

And the adventure continues! Now we’ve finished all the set-up, it’s time to get into the guts of the plot.

4 Likes

We’re up to week eight! Surprisingly, that means we’re a third of the way through already.

5 Likes

Week nine! The final reading of volume three!

Time for a little polling fun:

Do we want a one-week break before volume 4?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Yes, but more than a week
0 voters
How about future volumes?
  • Always have the same break as the above poll’s result
  • Ask each time
0 voters
4 Likes

As per the poll above, we’ll be taking a one-week break before we start volume four. Now’s your chance to get caught up. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Week ten! We’re in the double digits now.

7 Likes

Week eleven!

Finishing this week’s reading will put you past the midpoint of the series in terms of number of volumes (though the midpoint in terms of page counts won’t be until next week, since volume 7 is a fair bit chunkier than the others).

6 Likes

Week twelve!

And, as promised, six-and-a-half pages before you finish this week’s reading, you’ll be at the midpoint of the series, in terms of numbers of pages.

And as this is the end of a volume, it’s poll time again!

Take a break before the next volume?
  • No break (Sep 16)
  • One week (Sep 23)
  • Longer (Please specify)
0 voters
2 Likes

Ok, since the mob has voted three-to-one for another break between volumes, we’ll be taking a break this week. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Week thirteen! In which the title character appears only in a couple of flashback panels.

5 Likes

Week fourteen! In which we find out what the title character has been up to for the last week.

(Side note, I’ve slightly tweaked the end page of this one from what I’d previously had in the schedule. It makes for a longer reading, but a much better stopping point.)

4 Likes