風の谷のナウシカ (Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind) Advanced Book Club

Not to hijack the thread, but are people also interested in seeing the anime adaptation? It roughly covers the first two volumes although there’s a different focus.

4 Likes

Week 2 is up!

9 Likes

How’s everyone feeling about the pace? I keep slacking off and reading not this, so I could fall behind if I’m not careful.

6 Likes

Same, although this is my first ABC. I’d be happier at a slightly slower pace like 40-50p/week personally. I feel like I have to move on with the material even if I don’t understand a particular part because otherwise I’ll fall behind.

5 Likes

I am definitely falling a bit behind, but that’s more a product of me just not putting in the time to read this and just reading other stuff instead :sweat_smile: I’d rather not hold back the ABC if other people are fine with the speed, since I will likely fall behind regardless.

5 Likes

I’m fine with it. I could actually go faster (accidentally read vol 1 in 1 day due to no chapters and no habit of paying attention to page numbers in manga) but also I have a lot of time on my hands, which I know ain’t true for everyone

7 Likes

I’m OK with the pace (I read all of week 1 in the first 2 days because I had to go away for a work trip and didn’t want to bring the manga along with me). In “time on task” terms I think it’s about in line with other ABC books, but I haven’t timed that so I could be wrong.

5 Likes

Prior to diving into this manga, I prepared myself by ensuring I was at least two weeks ahead in reading in all the book clubs I participated. Yet, to my dismay, the density of text on each page has become a deterrent, causing me to repeatedly postpone reading it.

5 Likes

For me, this week is going to be the big test because I have significantly less time than last week and the text seems harder/more dense. On the other hand, I like the higher pace so that I can get more absorbed in the story. I don’t really have strong preference yet. I think I would be fine with whatever the majority prefers.

5 Likes

For my part, I may be MIA for the next 2.5 weeks (aside from doing book club posts Fridays). I expect to fall behind on everything I’m not behind on and further on what I’m already behind on.

But I’ll continue reading Nausicaa at my own pace.

6 Likes

@Belthazar, feedback seems a bit mixed on the pacing. Do you want to put up a poll to decide between sticking to 2 weeks per volume or switching to 3 weeks per volume?

1 Like

Aye. I was thinking a poll would be the way to go.

Do we change speeds for volume 2 on?
  • SLOWER! (One-quarter volume per week)
  • Slower (One-third volume per week)
  • No change (Half a volume per week)
  • Faster (Two-thirds volume per week)
  • FASTER! (One volume per week)

0 voters

4 Likes

I’m okay with both. This is a marathon and not a sprint anyway.

5 Likes

I voted no-change as my personal preference, but (a) I’m happy to slow down if others want that (b) I wouldn’t mind taking the optional-extra-later-volumes part at a slower pace.

7 Likes

For the record I’d like the extra week for volume one as well, given that it’s already Thursday and I’ve read all of three pages of this week’s assignment. Plus then it’s easy to reschedule by keeping the official club at 6 weeks (just covering two volumes instead of three) rather than shortening the book club to 5 weeks or extending it to 8 (which would go against this being a “short” club).

3 Likes
Retroactively re-pace volume 1 as well?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

4 Likes

9 Likes

Haven’t visited the week 2 thread yet because I’m avoiding any spoilers while reading, but do we cut week 2 in half for the new pace if vol 1 is going for a total of 3 weeks? Just to make sure we’re all …on the same page, haha. pun not intended

4 Likes

I’d just use the same week 2 thread and treat it as a “catch up” week since we didn’t fix the schedule before we got to week 2. Then starting with volume 2 the schedule can be officially split into thirds.

4 Likes

Sure, that works, but I guess it’s not too late to make a designated thread for the last part, or…? Even if the schedule got changed up.