Week 19

Start Date: Nov 11
Previous Part: Week 18
Next Part: Week 20

Reading:

Week Volume Start Date End Phrase End Page Page Count
Week 19 7 Nov 11 …裁き…!? 51 47

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current section(s) and any content in future sections.
  • When asking for help, please mention the volume and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book
0 voters
3 Likes

Kushana’s brothers are actually wise?! It’s strange, I initially took them as idiots.
毒の光 seems to be some kind of radiation. I am praying for poor Teto. It seems so agitated.:sob:

4 Likes

Aye, poor Teto indeed. He does not look well on that page.

I was a bit amused by Nausicaä at the bottom of page 40 going “I won’t ask you your names, so now Miyazaki won’t have to think up any for you”. And at the top of page 41, “Your scouts were killed by the light” - not deliberately shot by a creature she could barely control, but they just got too close and died spontaneously.

Also, the English version really doesn’t convey just what a change it is when he switches from using just katakana to using full Japanese.

3 Likes

My first reaction was “Excusez-moi, but who is talking?” Then he carries on and gives himself a title! :joy: :joy: I guess it highlights the significance of naming a child in Japanese culture.

3 Likes

(Anime spoilers as well as for this week’s reading.)

I found myself wondering how different this God Warrior is to how it would have been during the Seven Days of Fire. In the anime the God Warrior is clearly woken “too early” and falling to pieces almost immediately. In the manga it seems definitely less obviously degraded, but on the other hand that tooth fell out…

3 Likes

Yeah, it doesn’t really feel like he’s even capable of surviving for seven days in the first place…

One thing I also noticed is that waaaaay back in volume one, there’s a bunch of God Warrior skeletons in the forest - Nausicaä climbs through the skull of one of them, and there’s clearly some sort of cockpit inside, yet there’s no indication that anything remotely similar exists in this one. (Though, the skulls in volume one also have horns whereas the God Warrior doesn’t, so perhaps they just happen to be, like, giant mecha or something instead.) I mean, it’s probably just Early Instalment Weirdness, but one can theorise.

3 Likes

Yes, some interesting story-telling this week, I thought, and an unexpected role for them. Our heroine has fallen into their hands, but if that hadn’t happened, would she have survived at all?…

3 Likes

I’m sure that’s what they think, but I don’t think any falling has taken place besides the literal. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nausicaa fall

(Splat. She didn’t even use her hands.)

3 Likes

Don’t let me interrupt this conversation, but we starting the next reading now. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes