Previous Part: Week 19
Next Part: Week 21

Reading:

Week Volume Start Date End Phrase End Page Page Count
Week 20 7 Nov 18 オーマの光で土を汚して
なければいいけど
94 42

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current section(s) and any content in future sections.
  • When asking for help, please mention the volume and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book
0 voters
3 Likes

This week’s reading was quite painful. I kinda want to write more, but thinking about what happened depresses me. :pensive:

3 Likes

Yes. I haven’t even gotten around to starting this week’s section yet, but I still have Feelings about it from the last time I read it. Trying to decide if I want to express those in this thread, or save them up until the grand finale. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Welp, I somehow managed to do the whole reading in one sitting (oof, the feelings), and yeah, I’ve decided that most of the specific things I want to express about it are tied up with the things I want to express about the volume as a whole, so I might hold off on expressing them until the end.

I do want to make one smaller observation, though: Yupa’s final words to Nausicaä at the bottom of page 81 exactly match the final words of the last priest of the old gods waaay back in volume four, page 97 - いとしい風よ. Not entirely sure what parallels Miyazaki is trying to draw here, though. If any. Especially considering it is immediately bracketed by the callback to the Mani tribe elder from volume two. (The English translation renders them differently - “dear wind” in volume 4 versus “my darling wind” here - though whether they thought Yupa would use more familiar language, or whether they’d just forgotten the line had come up before, I’m not entirely sure.)

Also, I’m guessing that Asbel showing up in the gunship at the start of the section means they landed at the battlefield between scenes and swapped Kurotowa for Asbel…

3 Likes

I also read the whole thing in almost one sitting and even read past the end without noticing even though I had looked up where I had to stop just before, so yeah, couldn’t stop reading.

3 Likes

Yeah, the next natural stopping point is over on page 101, and it’s where I would have put it if I’d gone with the four-week split, but I felt it was a bit too far to move it for the five-week split.

3 Likes

Moving on!

3 Likes