霧のむこうのふしぎな町 | Week 2 Discussion 🌬 🏘

I think なさそう = doesn’t seem, but because it’s the na-adjective to 口ぶり (way of speaking) I’m guessing it would become more or less “to sound unsure”, because it relates to self-confidence. And with the なってat the end it becomes “starting to sound unsure”, I think. Again, a bit of a free translation, not a precise one.

Excellent suggestion! Please can someone give me a hand with the bit that starts with あそごいらへんは, on page 13? My understanding is that in the area where there was supposed to be silver there was a mine that closed down, which caused people to move out (of the area) and now there are only a few people left there. Is this correct?

2 Likes

まず? I don’t have the book in front of me right now, but I remember thinking that when I read it.

まんず is its own thing. Even native speakers seem to have trouble putting it back into standard Japanese: https://www.google.com/amp/s/mayonez.jp/amp/topic/1020698

The relevant meaning here, I think:

そして「とりあえず」の意味で使われることもあります。

So “well/anyway”.

9 Likes

I’m guessing a lot of us are struggling with this quote on the first page:

がまんしてやっでげで 。おまわりさんの 、この町での仕事っていったらば 、まっすぐな町なみを 、パトロ ールするごどぐれなんだがら 。

Let’s help each other understand it!

Something like

Have patience. Since Omawari-san’s job is this town, patrolling the street with stores and shops straight ahead.

But I don’t think that’s 100% correct. Maybe she’s saying he will go with her because of the use of くれる?

Tbh I don’t even know what the いら means :sweat_smile: anyone?

Further questions from page 13:

「なにかいけないことでも、その村にあるんですか?」

"Is there something bad or something at that village?

I’m taking でも to be the “…or something” meaning here?

そんたなごどもねんだっとも

I’m guessing そんたな is just the same as そんな? So it’s something like そんなことないだけど in standard?

Page 12

Somebody has written in the spreadsheet that っげで is equivalent to ください, and thus this sentence is indeed “please be patient” :+1: (assuming that person is correct, but it seems to fit!)

I asked about the second sentence above - it seems to be something like:

The くれる is because it’s something he does for the town / takes the trouble to do, I guess.

2 Likes

I assume あそこいら is a variation of this:

7 Likes

nice find… this is definitely it… my sensei said it common for around that area (with the へ particle)

I might be able to answer this one (again my sensei is amazing…yeah for italki, skype and the internet)

The specific grammar is: ~といったら~だ (as described by my sensei - native speaker - I haven’t looked for references yet in BP or wherever) basically meaning “when you are talking about something and that is all you can think of/or the first thing you think of”…

this example: in this case he doesn’t do anything more than patrol these (straight streets)

A couple of examples she gave me:
NYといったら、ベーグルだ。 (my sensei thinks of bagels I guess… I think big apple)…
LAといったら、ハリウッドだ。(Los Angeles / Hollywood)

Hope this helps with the understanding a bit…

10 Likes

Ah, that makes sense. Very helpful explanation and examples.

1 Like

That’s fab, thank you! Didn’t know that grammar point. Thanks to your teacher too :wink:

I keep thinking I’m done with page 13, but then when I look at it again…

Page 13

。。。大むかしに銀のでだどごなんだおや。

What… do all the bits mean?! I’m assuming that the verb after 銀 is でる, but why the の, why the どこ? Is the の effectively replacing が, so it’s like 銀がでた?

finally on to page 14…

2 Likes

Yes I would say the equivalent in standard Japanese might be 大むかしに銀が出たところ…with the last part being maybe なんだよ but who knows with this dialect :joy:

6 Likes

Just to make sure that this sentence part is clear to everybody because there were a few discussions and speculations, but I think in the end we did not agree on a correct translation.

町なみ: Note that this is a word in itself, meaning townscape or street of stores and houses.

まっすぐな: This is an adjective here, it describes a property of the 町なみ. It can have the meaning “straightforward”, but I agree with seanblue here that it refers to the physical property “straight” of the street (i.e. it has no bends).

Oh, and while we’re at it (same sentence), there was also some variation in translations for this expression. Please note the particle で, so it is the job in this town. (The job is not the town.)

7 Likes

Oooooh, ところ :thinking: I never think of that…

Gosh every time the police officer speaks it takes me forever to wade through, and then it’s like skipping through Rina’s dialogue and the narration!

Page 14

銀山村の人たちも、一人、また一人ど、いなぐなったってきいだった。

I’m particularly confused by the ど/と after ひとり? Is it like a に? I get the sentence is saying now the number of people in the village has gone back down probably to just one, sort of thing, but after いなくなった I get totally lost with what’s going on at the end of the sentence.

Oh! Oh! Is it って as a quotation particle, and he’s saying that that’s what he’s heard? :nerd_face: :tada:

いまは何人ぐれ住んでるんだが。

What’s ぐれ住んでる? Maybe like ぐらい?

4 Likes

Turns out that 一人また一人と is an expression meaning “one after another”.

I agree that this is the quotation particle followed by 聞いた and then った which I cannot yet make much sense of.

Think so too. I take it to mean But about how many people live there right now…

8 Likes

Maybe he’s combining 聞いた and だった because they do whatever they want in this dialect. :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

When your phone tries to autocorrect you to use dialect. :expressionless:

8 Likes

Awesome, thank you so much! Yep, that’s what I was thinking with the ぐらい too.

I hope somebody else has some questions soon :sob:

4 Likes

haha don’t worry the only reason I haven’t overloaded the forums is because of my 先生. I don’t have any more lessons scheduled with her until after the new year…and I only made it through page 15…so I’m probably about to drown haha

… all I can hope for is that all the work I’ve done so far helps getting through to the end of this chapter and that this evil dialect speaking :policeman: goes away

6 Likes

I enjoy it, though
Anyway, since she is on her way out of town, I assume that it might disappear.

5 Likes

Have がまん with おまわりさん. His この本での仕事 is just to 話す in this まっすぐな方言.

6 Likes