霧のむこうのふしぎな町 ・ Mysterious Town Beyond the Mist (BBC) 🌬 🏘

Heh, in the end we’re only about three weeks behind you :wink:

5 Likes

I’ve also decided to finish the book early, which I did today. I must say I liked the book better with every chapter! Early on, I was not too fond of it and thought about dropping the book, but now I’m glad I stuck to it. :blush:

6 Likes

It was fine for a kids book. I think I liked 魔女の宅急便 better, though it’s a bit hard to compare since my Japanese level was so different between the two.

2 Likes

Last half of chapter 7 this week:

we’re getting close

4 Likes

O

M

G

Last chapter?!

6 Likes

Last frikkin week!

I read like everything apart from the very last page of last week :scream: and totally forgot to ask any of my questions… :cry: I will be so ridiculously sad if I finish this late after managing to keep on top of it for so long.

12 Likes

There is something I’ve wanted to ask all along. Maybe it’s about time! :thinking: How would you translate めちゃくちゃ通り?

It’s
めちゃくちゃ - absurd or nonsensical
通り - street, road, avenue (as a suffix)

So I’d probably go with Absurd Alley or something…

1 Like

めちゃくちゃ has a meaning closer to “messed up” in this context. (Looking up your link, it’s meaning number 3 on jisho).
So “messed up street”?

3 Likes

But then, I don’t see how to fit it in the sentences where it appears. For example this week’s: リナはめちゃくちゃ通りのみんなからのおみやげを一つ一つ見つめながら思った。
Would something like “strange ways” do?
Edit: I forgot to say: Thank you NicoleRauch and Naphthalene for your answers!

1 Like

It is literally the name of the street they live in:

リナは - Rina
めちゃくちゃ通り - Messy-Street
のみんな - all the inhabitants of
から - from
の - possessive
おみやげを - presents
一つ一つ - one by one
見つめ - stare at
ながら - while
思った。- thought

Rina thought, while she stared at the presents from all of the inhabitants of Messy-Street one after the other: …

3 Likes

Wow! The name of the street! Now it makes sense! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Now that we have finished the book I wanted to give a big thank you to all of you who have been so helpful giving your time answering questions and also to the people who asked questions I didn’t have to ask. And I want to give a special thank you to @Radish8 for leading the club.
It was my first book in Japanese and it was a big investment in time, but I’m very happy I did it now. Trying to keep up with the group was a great motivation to continue reading. Now I’m going to take a rest (and catch up with things like bunpro, which I had to stop doing because the reviews and the book where taking all my time), but I hope to meet some of you again for the repeat of Kiki.
Did I say Thank you? :bowing_woman:

13 Likes

Yes, I’d like to second that thanks - I’m always so grateful to the people who generously spend their time answering my (and others’) questions.

And I likewise look forward to seeing you for Kiki in June! Huge congratulations for finishing your first book in Japanese - I’d actually say this was probably one of the hardest we’ve done (obviously I can’t comment on Kiki), so extra props for persevering all the way through :triumph:

8 Likes

Well, it’s over and done :tada:
Thank you to everyone who asked and answered so many questions, I often didn’t know how much I didn’t really understand!
Same as @Tonina, this was my first book aswell and I was struggling quite a bit at times (especially in the beginning), but seeing how others kept on reading really motivated me. I really enjoyed reading this book and I’m really looking forward to reading the next books!
Also a big thanks to everyone, who filled out the vocabulary sheets, this always helped tremendously and saved a lot of time! And of course thanks to @Radish8 for leading the club, making the threads, etc.!

10 Likes

A week too late, but I’ve just finished my first book in Japanese! :tada:

I think I haven’t posted in the BBC threads for a good two months, basically after Week 11 or so I stopped reading (for no particular reason, I was actually enjoying the book but never felt like reading) and I only picked it up again last week. So I’ve read 7 weeks worth of material in 7 days :sweat_smile: why couldn’t I just keep up with the bookclub pace?!

Now I feel much more confident that I will be able to continue reading with you all. I started this book with これはペンです-level grammar knowledge to the point that I couldn’t even tell a past form, and it’s amazing to see how much I’ve learnt. And this wouldn’t have been possible without the huge help of the vocab sheet and all your Q&A. Thank you @Radish8 for organising and for asking in advance most of the questions I came up with, and thank you all for your explanations!

I wasn’t sure if I would be in time for this, but ゆるキャン△ here I go!

12 Likes

Oh this is me all the time, haha ^^ for some reason I nearly always fall behind in week 3 ~ 4, then have to put in a herculean effort to catch up again.

Seriously?! That’s actually insanely impressive. I’ve said it elsewhere in this thread but this was probably one of our hardest books so far. Huge congrats on finishing your first book :blush:

Hope you enjoy ゆるキャン△!

6 Likes