霧のむこうのふしぎな町 ・ Mysterious Town Beyond the Mist (BBC) 🌬 🏘

Sorry about the late answer about the previous question. I am a complete beginner and although I struggled a lot in chapter one, my reading speed has increased a lot in chapter two. There are still many words I don’t know but somehow it seems easier to grasp the meaning of the sentences.

5 Likes

Thank you. I did it.

I’m sorry to hear you are not enjoying it. On my side, I am really enjoying the book. But maybe it’s because of my Japanese not being very good, just being able to understand it makes me happy.

5 Likes

That’s exactly how I felt for my first couple books! Even when I was disappointed in the story, just being able to read was a great feeling.

Now that I’m at more of an intermediate level I just want to read stuff similar to what I read in English. Even though those tend to be really hard. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Maybe try chapter 3 and see if it gets better for you like it did for me - and if not, no shame quitting. Reading is supposed to be fun after all. ^^

6 Likes

Yep I’ll definitely give the third chapter a shot. Thanks!

3 Likes

I did not even know it started already :o but im new… I will try to catch up!

3 Likes

would be so sad to lose you … because your help with answering questions is very much appreciated :slight_smile:

Such excellent planning from the bookclub folks…I’m gussing… she’s gonna meet まことさん :broom: :and we will have a whole crossover series! 楽しみ!

Would hate to see you give up on this one, but if you aren’t into it, don’t bother … no sense in pushing through all this hard to parse hiragana for something you aren’t enjoying…

4 Likes

Oh, I’m very good at stalking the forums, so I’m sure I’d still help out a bit even if I stopped reading. (It would just be harder without the context.) But I’m still going for now. I read 9 pages of chapter three earlier, just with minimal dictionary use to move things along faster. I’ll try to read the rest of chapter three this week and see how I feel then.

4 Likes

Totally unrelated but leebo just reset from 60 to 1, and my understanding that it is not the first time.

2 Likes

I noticed that even 入る was written in kana in this book, so I went to check something. The back of this book says 小学中級. For comparison, 時をかける少女 says 小学上級. So I think that pretty clearly explains why even less kanji is used compared to 時をかける少女.

4 Likes

That’s very interesting, because 入 is a grade 1 kanji already, so should clearly be known in Grade 3-4. But then again, I noticed that even in the “normal” novels that are geared towards adults sometimes words would randomly be written in kana (and also inconsistently) so I’m not sure whether the authors / publishers put so much thought into this or whether it just somehow happens…

3 Likes

this is why you buy lifetime :wink:

2 Likes

IME misconversions probably even happen to professionals. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am still convinced I found a misconversion of 呼んだ to 読んだ in 狼と香辛料, which really surprised me because it seems like something you wouldn’t miss during proofreading?

2 Likes

Okay, a similar number have voted to our readership.

Looks like we’re going to try having a one-week break at the end of chapter two. A good eight people think it could help them keep up and most of those on track don’t mind. Feels like a useful experiment to run too.

Sorry to @Naphthalene, @elisac and @kozz84 D:

6 Likes

For the Read-Aloud session, my suggestion is that we still run it during the break. We can ask and answer questions, and if people are interested, we can re-read the last section (for those who just caught up during the break, and for general reading practice).

4 Likes

Great idea :blush: I’m thinking there should still be plenty of questions and discussion that week.

2 Likes

Given the choice, I would have preferred to carry on (hence my vote), but I do not actually mind :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The same here :relieved:

4 Likes