銭天堂 | Week 9 Discussion

Week 9 Discussion | Pages 84 - 94

Chapter 4: 釣り鯛焼き

Start Date: 29th June
Last Week: Chapter 4 Part 1
Next Week: Chapter 5 Part 1

Zenitendou

銭天堂 Home Thread

We’re reading to the end of Chapter 4 this week.

Part of the Beginner Book Club!

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current week’s pages, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]
    Use and identify details tags for any content from later in the book, like this:
    [details=Spoilers from chapter 9]
    texthere
    [/details]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn and someone else will probably be grateful you asked!

• People usually find that they engage with and enjoy the discussion much more if they don’t read ahead, though of course it’s up to you :wink:

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

3 Likes

This chapter was really nice. I thought the chapter/moral would go in a different direction (he not going out with his friends anymore and spending all his time alone in his room), but I really enjoyed the way it went.
It also was the first actual happy end, too, I think. They can eat taiyaki indefinitely now and have fun fishing together! I actually feel like I want to buy something from this store now, while the other sweets and their effects all seemed so destructive and only out to get the users.
And he also bonded with his sister over it, that was nice and made me happy :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I agree. I really like how it actually made him grow closer to his sister through it. I also thought it would go into the loneliness / isolation direction, had like flashbacks from when I watched Confessions, but I guess it’s not that kinda story :joy:

Anyway, really enjoyed these last … four weeks was it? Quite interesting how the separate stories change direction every once in a while, rather than all being the same.

5 Likes

I think the first story also had a happy ending. And considering the view point character of the second story was a little jerk who now has to be nice to his little sister, I’d say that was a happy ending as well, even if not for him :wink:

I agree, too, that this story was nice and sweet. I thought the resolution was going to be cutting the fishing line or something. I figured knocking over the bucket would flood the place, but it also makes sense that only the water 慶司 put in originally came back out.

4 Likes

It’s so frustrating when everything is covered in spoiler tags! Guess I’d better get reading… :wink:

Edit: @Kyasurin, you have a vocab sheet ally once more! No obligation at all to add more words (I certainly know how long it takes), but I thought you’d like to know that your efforts certainly helped me catch up and I noticed a few others popping in and out while I was using it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome back!
I’m sorry, I fell off the bandwagon this past chapter, but will try and put in a few more words going forwards.

1 Like

Thank you!

Oh my goodness you have nothing to apologise for :joy:

Question time!

Page 84

そういうことをきかれて、慶司は、これは用心しないとやばいと思った。

A case of “I know all these words but still can’t understand the sentence” (although I get the gist from context). Can anyone give me a breakdown?

ぷちっとしかけたが、深呼吸をして気分をおちつかせ、。。。

Not sure what that first bit means, particularly the verb?

Page 85

やたら青い顔をしている。

What does やたら mean here? I get ‘indisciminately’ from Jisho, which doesn’t make sense in context, and I couldn’t come up with any ideas for what else it might be.

その。。。ちょっとふんじゃって。

ふんじゃって??

ぐああと怒りがこみあげてきた。

I’m guessing this is just a sound effect, but… ぐああと??

Page 88

あの魚が相手じゃ、ぜんぜんかないっこない。

… かないっこない?? What am I missing?

Haven’t quite read the last couple of pages yet, but I love that I get agitated enough about the action in these stories that I start reading really rapidly :joy:

4 Likes

きかれて means he is being asked (the questions listed before)
And then he thinks „if I’m not careful (with my answers) it’s gonna be bad“

jisho finds ぷちっ but not ぷちっと, mysterious. Probably means „for a short moment“ here.
Since しかける can mean to start a fight, I would guess it means he kind of became combative for a second and angry at his sister, but then calmed himself down.

Profusely/excessively/extremely. She looked extremely pale

っこない is a grammar point attached to the masu-stem (of かなう here), meaning „definitely not possible, no chance of…“
The meaning of kanau is probably the third one on jisho, to be a match for.
So „if this fish is my rival, I don’t stand a chance / I’m no match.“

7 Likes

Ah, this was the bit tripping me up. I was thinking it was a combination of “not cautious” + “bad”, which didn’t make sense, but not cautious → bad makes total sense. Getting muddled up with the different uses of と.

Okay, I can live with that. I was thinking that possible verb meaning didn’t make sense because he evidently didn’t start a fight and then take a deep breath and then yell all in one sentence, but I suppose it could be a more emotive ‘felt like starting a fight’… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Oooh, well it least it’s understandable that I hadn’t learnt this before :grin:

Thank you for all your answers! :purple_heart:

1 Like

It’s basically just another variety of なければいけない / ないといけない :slight_smile:

I’m not too sure there either, but I can live with it too this way :smile: I think the context makes it clear even if you don’t have the most fitting translation in your J-E dictionary.

1 Like

I think the core meaning of しかける is just normal する+かける “be about to do something”, with (among others) idiomatic usage “start a fight”, but I think normally it’d have an object けんか or 攻撃 or something.

I read it as “he was about to ‘pop’ / burst out / etc. but then took a deep breath and calmed himself”. It’s probably this ぷちっ.

5 Likes

Ah, thank you! That makes me a lot happier. Cheers for helping us out :blush:

Finished the chapter! Just one more question from page 93:

ずっとつかっていたくせに、この注意書きを読まなかったわけ?

I understand the overall meaning and get that the first verb is just 使う, but I’m unsure what’s going on grammatically with the いたくせに part? I feel like I should know this…

Agree with everyone both that this went in a different direction than I expected, and that it was a really sweet ending :blush:

I agree with @jaearess that the first story had a reasonably happy ending, and the only negative effects came about from her not reading the instructions properly (where in this story the warning was not at all obvious, being stuck on the bottom of the bucket!).

The potential consequences are generally rather dire though :joy: imagine being eaten by a shark in a bucket…

4 Likes

I think you’re breaking it up in the wrong way
ずっと|つかっていた|くせに

3 Likes

I like that so far the stories haven’t been overly formulaic. I was worried that with this type of book, where each chapter is a contained story, it would get repetitive or boring. However, the stories have so far been pretty different in construction, other than the fact that they all received a sweet from 銭天堂.

For this week’s reading, I was excited to see that for once someone got to keep their magical sweet for the foreseeable future. I was starting to think that everyone would only get to enjoy them for a short time, and then they would be gone forever. I thought the broken fishing rod would be the end of this one, but I was pleasantly surprised!

4 Likes

Oooooooh. I just knew this was gonna be a …d’oh! answer :grin:

@catbus yes! The book has definitely surpassed my expectations so far, from looking like a standard formula-driven children’s book. And yeah, up till this point it’s been a rather regret-filled experience. I really wanted to know how the mermaid sweet would have played out if she hadn’t had to reverse the effects..

3 Likes

I think it’s the verb ふむ meaning “to step on” plus じゃう which is the casual form of
てしまう. でしまう.
So instead of ふんでしまって, she’s using the casual form. Sentence ending in te-form to mean she has more to say.

Couldn’t find any English translations but it seems to be used a lot in anime/mangas.

and here.

By the way, I’m glad you finally have some free time to ask questions. I was starting to think you were going to completely miss out. :grin:

2 Likes

Oh, that makes so much sense, thank you!

And I figured the answer to the other one would probably be ‘sound effect’, but thank you for the visual to go along with it :grin:

Oh, thank you! That’s very sweet :blush: I was also worried I was going to miss out D: but someone has to ask the questions :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you for that by the way, I had a lot of the same ones!

Here’s one that hasn’t been covered yet, it seems:

At 58%

ぐいっとこすったとき、壁ぎわに立てかけた自分の釣りざおが目に入った。

I am having trouble figuring out the first part. ぐいっと seems to mean “suddenly”, or it could be the onomatopoeia for “pull, yank, gulp or shove”. Then こする seems to mean “to rub; to scrub; to scrape”… but I have no idea how they combine?

Any help is appreciated!

1 Like

A lot of times after onomatopeia they put と as a sort of quote, or indicator that the subsequent action is occurring with the image/influence of the preceding sound effect. That’s someting I figured out thanks to this book! Think of it as like “with a (insert SFX here), XYZ event occured”.

Thanks to the above, we can understand this as "With a ぐああ, he swelled with anger I interpret ぐああ as like a sigh/groan/shout of frustration, literally as it sounds.

2 Likes

Yea, I was having some problems with こすった initially and I thought it was the past tense of this こする (鼓する) which means “to pluck up courage” but it’s a suru verb so the past tense is こした and not こすった.

So when I looked up the other こする(擦る) and how it was commonly used, it’s associated with 目を to mean “to rub one’s eyes”. So in the context of the previous sentence which says “tears were running”, I took this to mean “When he rubbed (his eyes) ….”

So with that, I translated ぐいっと to mean “in one go” or “suddenly”.

Might be way off here but that’s all I could think of. Maybe someone else has a better translation.

4 Likes