銭天堂 ・ Zenitendou, The Mysterious Sweet Shop! (Beginner Book Club)

@Radish8 actually wrote a comparison of the BBC books: Comparison of Book Club Picks

I haven’t read Kiki’s, so I can’t say personally, but my sense is it’s considerably harder than other stuff from the BBC. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is definitely harder than Zenitendou, though how much I have a hard time saying since I read it first. I’d say if you’re getting through Zenitendou okay, you can probably handle TGWLTT, even if it is a step up in difficulty (keeping in mind the book club threads for it will help a lot, especially at the beginning, where it will be the hardest.)

3 Likes

Thanks! I forgot about that thread and had to go check it out again.

Zenitendou is aimed at 中学年 kids which is probably why it’s an easy and entertaining read. Maybe more books at this level can be explored for the BBC. I abandoned a 高学年 level book for this one because it was turning tedious. TGWLLT doesn’t seem to be in the 児童書 lists so I might just stick to something +1 until I’m ready.

Yeah, I think this style and level has been just about perfect. I’m thinking the Scary Lessons book Toyger nominated might be in a similar vein, though it looks like it’s aimed at slightly older kids (and is a bit more dense, I think).

If you have any suggestions you’re welcome to nominate them :wink: we could do with one or two more book ideas.

1 Like

I’ll be on the lookout with what’s popular at school :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Haha, perfect :wink: also you’re going to finish 銭天堂 before me :see_no_evil:

I would potentially be interested in a general discussion thread too …once I actually finish the first volume xD I still haven’t read chapter 3 or 4 :upside_down_face: But I’ve liked the style of this series quite a lot and it does feel like a good level, I could definitely see myself continuing it in the future.

3 Likes

Okay, there seems to be some interest for something at least.

I might create a general discussion thread some time in the next week or so for any eager beavers, but perhaps if there’s enough interest we could run a mini ‘read together’ of volume 2 at some point, just to give ourselves some structure/motivation - no extra threads or anything, purely a ‘hey maybe read this next month?’

Might not be feasible for me until the new year.

10 Likes

Book 2 TOC

Look at this hecking cute kitty!

9 Likes

On which note :wink:

11 Likes

So, in thinking about my upcoming plan to read volume 2 of this series starting in May, I realised that I never finished chapter 3?!

I remember at one point going back and starting it (from the vocab sheet it looks like I got up to page 61 or 62, ha), but I never finished it. This is clearly completely unacceptable (embarrassing, even) and I can’t even tick the poll in the last week to say I finished the book.

I’ve got some spare time this afternoon, so I guess here I go…

Edit #1: reached the end of the vocab sheet entries!

Edit #2: reached the second week of reading for this chapter!

Edit #3: have to go to bed :pensive: but I did watch Moana in the middle, so…

Edit #4: resuming!

Edit #5: FINISHED :ok_hand:

8 Likes

It seems Zenitendou is getting an anime adaptation.

Source:

7 Likes

I actually love her voice. :smiley: This really looks like it’s going to be a cute show! … and it makes me hope that maybe there’ll be a deal on the ebook to promote it~

2 Likes

When it says it will follow the animated film, does that mean it will adapt material from after the first volume, or is just saying that it comes on the heels of the film?

I’ll definitely check this out if it comes to crunchy :grin: though I suspect it will be less engaging to an adult in animated form…

3 Likes

That looks less like an anime adaptation and more like a… kamishibai adaptation.

4 Likes

Yeah, that isn’t clear to me either. AnimeNewsNetwork also had an article about this, but didn’t specify either if the anime will cover the same content of the film or if it’s a continuation.

Can’t deny that’d fun, but I am wondering if that’s just because the video is a teaser and doesn’t really reflect the final animation / drawing style.

1 Like

When I read it, I assumed it just meant it would be released following the film, not necessarily that it would pick up the story where the film leaves off (though given that it’s supposed to be an adaptation of Volume 1, that would also make plenty of sense regardless of what they mean by follow in that particular post).

1 Like

Aye, that crossed my mind too.

1 Like

I’m bumping this thread to say that I just finished reading this as my first Japanese book :tada:

I’m glad there are 14 volumes because I’m excited to read more!

13 Likes

Congratulations! :lollipop: It was my first novel too, and I have very warm memories related to it :heart: Your post made me nostalgic. I wonder many more volumes you’ll read in the end. I was thinking about doing the whole series too, but got burned out after 4 volumes. Got better at reading by that time, too, so I could read more advanced stuff, which was a good thing.
Sometimes I’m considering checking out 5th volume just to see how much I improved. But then I remember hiragana strings and the amount of onomatopoeia. :grin:

4 Likes

Very very true :laughing: all those onomatopoeia are likely not going into my vocabulary study list. And I wish there were more kanji to, paradoxically, make it easier to read.

2 Likes