輪る Reading explanation

This word is found in the title of the anime 輪るピングドラム. The reading there is “mawaru”, but how come I can’t find that reading in the dictionary, or anywhere else? As far as I could tell, this reading only applies to this specific anime title. Can someone explain this to me?

1 Like

I think it’s as simple as people make things up when they want.

I wonder how a native experiences something like that.
Would they just reason it’s supposed to be まわる because of the reading of 回る which is a related word?

Think of it as artistic license. A native or experienced speaker understands that 輪 means ring or wheel, which can spin, roll, or rotate, congruent to the nuance of the verb 回る. The dots would connect even if it is not technically grammatical.

5 Likes

That’s pretty cool, thank you for your reply

Yeah I mean Miyazaki made up a kanji for Princess Mononoke. 𦻙

1 Like

I didn’t know about that, Princess Mononoke is one of my favorite films

Its a pretty normal thing for kanji to have alternative forms, and they usually make sense with the kanji they use. Same goes for this one. I personally would have no trouble assuming this should be read mawaru and im sure most other experienced users would be the same, so I can’t imagine natives would think much of it either.

1 Like

Also, both the opening credits and the official website give furigana for 輪る and have a romaji version of the title below, so it’s not like they’re actually expecting people to guess the reading unaided.

3 Likes

Yeah fair enough

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.