討つ and 撃つ difference

So I came across 討つ in Torii and it gives definitions of “attack the enemy” and “kill”. Most examples it lists seem to be about killing someone (particularly a friend’s enemy) in the sense of vengeance (彼は父親のあだを討った → He avenged his father). Jisho however lists it as an alternative spelling for 撃つ which I understand as to shoot, and merges the two definitions.

It also doesn’t appear to be on the JLPT spreadsheet. That spreadsheet is from 2017 though so it might have changed since then? I found a post from a guy asking for an update in Dec 2019 but he got no replies. Not sure why the JLPT vocab in Torii can be slightly different to the one in the spreadsheet. So my question is can these two kanji be used interchangeably then or is Jisho just wrong?
Thanks in advance

1 Like

There are no official JLPT vocab lists, so different lists are never guaranteed to be in agreement.

Regarding 討つ and 撃つ, it’s certainly possible jisho made a mistake. Goo lists them separately, and gives very different definitions, which are in line with what you got from Torii.

討つ:

攻撃する。敵を攻めて滅ぼす。征伐する。
武器を用いて、傷つけたり殺したりする。「首を―・つ」

撃つ:

弾丸・矢などを発射する。

4 Likes

Thanks, I’ll continue to treat them separately c:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.